New to AiME- Please help me understand lvl 3 "Rider" ability!

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
Eldwyn

Re: New to AiME- Please help me understand lvl 3 "Rider" ability!

Post by Eldwyn » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:05 pm

I will say that I am now pretty solidly in the "A" camp. It means if my horse dashes, then I can get an extra attack. This represents the ferocity of a horse charging an opponent.

MrUkpyr

Post by MrUkpyr » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:29 pm

Eldwyn wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:05 pm
I will say that I am now pretty solidly in the "A" camp. It means if my horse dashes, then I can get an extra attack. This represents the ferocity of a horse charging an opponent.
I need to explain how mounted combat works to my Leofrings Warrior - she will find this very interesting.

Scarytincan

Post by Scarytincan » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:34 pm

When I first read the ability I was really under the impression that it allowed you to make a bonus action attack when you couldn't normally attack, so I assumed that meant dashing on a mount used your action. Now I have an upcoming game and one of my players is going to be from Rohan, so I actually looked up mounted combat to familiarize myself with the rules... And now I'm not certain.

The researching I've been doing among dnd players seems to be mostly of the impression that the mount takes the dash action which would leave the players action untouched. The rider ability RAI logic seems to me that dashing usually goes so fast when mounted that it is very difficult for the untrained to attack something, but this ability shows the character's training. I suppose there is a case to be made for, as said above, representing increased momentum...

Anyone else kinda wonder if the devs maybe had a different view of the mounted actions rules from the general dnd interpretation? :p Would be interesting to see how they would 'errata' the ability if that were the case...

Either way would be nice to hear an official ruling to clear it up for my coming game.

Scarytincan

Post by Scarytincan » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:48 pm

(on another note, I made an account just to post that reply, and to verify my account I had to answer a question about what name thorin earned at the battle of azanulzibar. Considering this game makes a point of following the books rather than movies, I found that interesting as it was actually dain in that battle who slew azog in the books... :p)

Edit: well nvm above, while what I posted was true, I had forgotten that thorin was ALSO there in the books and there earned his name. He just didn't fight azog... This is why you research before posting :lol:

BookBarbarian

Post by BookBarbarian » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:00 pm

Otaku-sempai wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:49 pm
I'm pretty certain that that's not the intent since the ability Mounted Combat falls under the Slayer path of The Rider and specifies: "if you are mounted". If you get off your mount, you can't do it!

Let's dispense with munchkinny, shall we? :lol:
The "If you are mounted" clause is in a previous sentence. Whether or not it's meant to apply to the next sentence too is what's in question in this thread.

And there's good reason to question. The next Rider ability, Mighty Spear throw also grants two things to do. One of them also has the "If you are mounted" clause only this time, it's the second sentence of Mighty Spear Throw. For this reason, I can see the ability as written going wither way. If it's meant that the "If you are mounted" clause should apply to the ability granted in the second sentence of Mounted Combat the wording could have been more specific.

And lets be honest, if I was going to Munchkin, I would ignore the Rider and make Barding Swordmaster Foehammers ;)

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:26 am

BookBarbarian wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:00 pm
The "If you are mounted" clause is in a previous sentence. Whether or not it's meant to apply to the next sentence too is what's in question in this thread.

And there's good reason to question. The next Rider ability, Mighty Spear throw also grants two things to do. One of them also has the "If you are mounted" clause only this time, it's the second sentence of Mighty Spear Throw. For this reason, I can see the ability as written going wither way. If it's meant that the "If you are mounted" clause should apply to the ability granted in the second sentence of Mounted Combat the wording could have been more specific.
Okay, I still read that the Dash in Mounted Combat refers specifically and only to the Dash of a controlled mount. As far as I'm concerned the only question about the ability is whether it allows only one attack or two (with the second being the bonus attack).

The wording for Mighty Spear-Throw is the key for understanding that ability:
At 6th level, when you throw your spear with advantage, you automatically inflict maximum damage instead of rolling the dice. If you are mounted, you do not gain disadvantage when throwing your spear at long range.
As you yourself point out, "If you are mounted" appears in the middle of the paragraph and is not conditional to the first sentence; it is only conditional to the second sentence. That is not the case with the description for Mounted Combat. Being mounted is conditional to the entire ability. I don't see applying the ability to a Hero on foot as being a reasonable interpretation.
Last edited by Otaku-sempai on Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

Eldwyn

Post by Eldwyn » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:42 pm

Okay, I still read that the Dash in Mounted Combat refers specifically and only to the Dash of a controlled mount. As far as I'm concerned the only question about the ability is whether it allows only one attack or two (with the second being the bonus attack).
Which is still a big question! I am stumped- would love some developer insight just to get guidance on the intent of the rule.

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:27 pm

Eldwyn wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:42 pm
Which is still a big question! I am stumped- would love some developer insight just to get guidance on the intent of the rule.
I know. I began this firmly in one camp, but I can see it both ways. If the rider's action is required to control the mount during the Dash (a full-round action) then the rider might not normally be able to attack in that same round. If that is the case then the bonus attack granted by Mounted Combat would be the only attack.
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

Eldwyn

Post by Eldwyn » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:09 am

Right? But that does not seem to be the case for mounted combat, which is bizarrely complicated on its own at first.

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:24 pm

All that I can suggest is that, barring any official guidance, treat it in the way that makes the most sense for you and your own game. If nothing else, a Hero who is both a Slayer/Rider and a Horse-lord of Rohan who is 'born to the saddle' might be given a situational modifier that either allows two attacks or allows an Advantage on one attack.