Dwarven Rings

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
steerpike65

Dwarven Rings

Post by steerpike65 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:26 pm

I was watching The Hobbit trilogy again recently and noted a discussion ref the seven dwarf rings. Is that from the book and canon or was it for the film only? If the former what is definite known statuses regarding the dwarven rings at the start of the AiME time period?
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” – Mark Twain

tomcat

Re: Dwarven Rings

Post by tomcat » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:54 pm

Four were swallowed or destroyed by Dragons, but Sauron succeed in reclaiming two.

The last one was worn by Thráin II, but in T.A. 2845 he was imprisoned by Sauron in the dungeons of Dol Guldur, and the ring was taken from him.
Loremaster: Darkening of Mirkwood
Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦○○] Dmg 9/11  |  Edge 8  |  Injury 16/18
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane, Foe-slaying

steerpike65

Post by steerpike65 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:57 pm

Many thanks. I'm assuming that's from the books? Any (even rough) dates on the destructions and reclamations?
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” – Mark Twain

tomcat

Post by tomcat » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:05 pm

The above details comes from the Tolkien Gateway wiki, but then from the Appendix itself within The Lord of the Rings.

As for when the four were consumed, you'll have to turn to fan fiction on that (MERP books might have a history of the rings - probably in the Moria book). Other RPG's might have taken the liberty to fill in these details as well - Decipher's Dwarf history box set.

I have both and will look to see.

Otherwise, you are free to do as you please - it is obviously your game. I will add this from the Encyclopedia of Arda:
Dates
Forged between c. II 1500 and c. II 1590. Only three of the seven survived to the end of the Third Age, in the keeping of Sauron

Origins
Made by Celebrimbor and the Mírdain of Eregion

Race
Made by Elves, but borne by Dwarves until they were destroyed or claimed by Sauron

It is not clear what happened to Sauron's three captured Dwarf-rings, but they were presumably destroyed in the overthrow of Barad-dûr in III 3019.
Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane, Foe-slaying

tomcat

Post by tomcat » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:18 pm

Well the MERP non-canon does not speak of any direct destruction of any Dwarf Ring.

Sorry.

The cool thing about Middle-earth and its history is there is 1,000's of years that are not definitively defined and so you can create to your heart's content. Your story can change the history or you will just need to take care that your creations and the PC's impact stays in step, or at least makes little affect to the overarching story of the Lord of the Rings.

I spent ten years of real life with my players running around in the 1600's of the Third Age surviving the plague and fighting against the powers of Angmar. They 'affected' the future in their activities, if you get my drift, but didn't change it. One of the key things that one PC had in his backstory was that he was the line of Gilraen, the mother of Aragorn. So a lot of out story was about prophecy and that the bloodline must continue.

Have fun!

steerpike65

Post by steerpike65 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:30 pm

Thanks again. For sure I'll ignore canon if it means having more fun! Was just hoping I could tie into canon if it allowed such. Of course any of the other six rings' tales could be mistaken rumours! ;-)

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:37 pm

tomcat wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:05 pm
As for when the four were consumed, you'll have to turn to fan fiction on that (MERP books might have a history of the rings - probably in the Moria book).
We do know that four of the Seven were lost before the War of the Ring. The Seven and the Nine were likely distributed some time between SA 1600, when Sauron forged the One Ring, and 1693 when the War the Elves and Sauron began.* We don't know how Gandalf came by his information about the Dwarf-rings; however, he tells Frodo in The Fellowship of the Ring, Chapter 2 "The Shadow of the Past" (bolded for emphasis):
'The Three, fairest of all, the Elf-lords hid from [Sauron], and his hand never touched them or sullied them. Seven the Dwarf-kings possessed, but three he has recovered, and the others the dragons have consumed. Nine he gave to Mortal Men, proud and great, and so ensnared them.'
One of the recovered Rings was possessed by Thráin, Thorin's father. The other two might have been with Dwarf-lords in the farthest East where they might have been untroubled by dragons.

* EDIT: As Terisonen has pointed out, Sauron would not have gifted Rings to Dwarves and Mortal Men until after the War of Elves and Sauron--say during the 18th and 19th centuries of the Second Age. Celebrimbor himself gave the mightiest of the Seven to Durin III, Lord of Khazad-dûm.
Last edited by Otaku-sempai on Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

steerpike65

Post by steerpike65 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:43 pm

I'm thinking about an adventure or campaign involving one of the two rings reclaimed by Sauron apart from that of Thráin. Specifically set in the Iron Hills. It would be high level.

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:19 pm

steerpike65 wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:43 pm
I'm thinking about an adventure or campaign involving one of the two rings reclaimed by Sauron apart from that of Thráin. Specifically set in the Iron Hills. It would be high level.
Okay. The "Tale of Years" (LotR, Appendix B) tells us that in the year 2570 (Third Age) "Dragons reappear in the far North and begin to afflict the Dwarves." It might be that Dwarf-lords descended from Belegost and Nogrod established their own halls in the Grey Mountains after the Dwarves were driven out of Moria by Durin's Bane and so their Rings were lost to Dragon-fire. That means that for a time there might have been three Rings of Power all located in Khazad-dûm: one for the Lord of Durin's Folk, and one each possessed by the Lords of the Dwarves of Nogrod and Belegost. The other four of the Seven would have been given to the kings of the eastern Dwarves, of which we know little beyond what is written in HOME Volume 12 "The Peoples of Middle-earth[/i]. Presumably, at least two of those Dwarf-houses were near enough to the Grey Mountains and the Withered Heath to become victimized by Dragons.
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

atgxtg

Post by atgxtg » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:53 pm

Gandalf might have been speaking literally when he said that rings were "consumed by dragons". Instead of being destroyed by dragon-fire the rings could have been swallowed along with thier wearers while fighting dragons.

If you are so inclined, you could "reintroduce" such a ring if/when the heroes slay a dragon and find the ring either in it's lair or it's stomach. Just lay in the back story of some great Dwarf lord who was swallowed whole by some Dragon and you're good to go.