Warrior Quote - *why*??

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
MrUkpyr

Warrior Quote - *why*??

Post by MrUkpyr » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:27 am

Hello,

"Stay! For you have no errand to the South."
"Neither have those others who go with thee. They go only because they would not be parted from thee - because they love thee."
=== === ===

Why is that the quote for the Warrior Class? The other quotes make sense in regards to the class they are listed under, but the Warrior one does not.

Jon - can you provide any insight?

zedturtle

Re: Warrior Quote - *why*??

Post by zedturtle » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:13 am

Not the Jon, but I would answer you with another quote:
J.R.R. Tolkien wrote:“I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.”
Being a Warrior in Middle-earth is not about being proficient in every weapon or being the toughest, baddest, most violent specimen of the Free Peoples. It is about being a leader, being someone who can inspire others to greatness, not out of fear, but out of love and respect.

(IMHO only)
Jacob Rodgers, occasional nitwit.

This space intentionally blank.

MrUkpyr

Post by MrUkpyr » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:43 am

zedturtle wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:13 am
Not the Jon, but I would answer you with another quote:
J.R.R. Tolkien wrote:“I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.”
Being a Warrior in Middle-earth is not about being proficient in every weapon or being the toughest, baddest, most violent specimen of the Free Peoples. It is about being a leader, being someone who can inspire others to greatness, not out of fear, but out of love and respect.

(IMHO only)
That's an interesting take on the Warrior class, but while it explains the quote, the actual class doesn't exactly match that. His quote is almost more aligned with the Warden class.

But it is an interesting thought none-the-less. Thank you zedturtle!

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:16 am

More appropriate quotes for the Warrior are (in The Hobbit, at least) a bit scarce. There is this one, from "An Unexpected Party":

"That would be no good," said the wizard, "not without a mighty Warrior, even a Hero. I tried to find one; but warriors are busy fighting one another in distant lands, and in this neighborhood heroes are scarce, or simply not to be found."

MrUkpyr

Post by MrUkpyr » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:15 pm

Otaku-sempai wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:16 am
More appropriate quotes for the Warrior are (in The Hobbit, at least) a bit scarce. There is this one, from "An Unexpected Party":

"That would be no good," said the wizard, "not without a mighty Warrior, even a Hero. I tried to find one; but warriors are busy fighting one another in distant lands, and in this neighborhood heroes are scarce, or simply not to be found."
Also interesting, but the bigger question is why the actual quote that is in the book was chosen.

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:05 pm

That, I cannot say. :?: