Mirkwood Campaign?

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
Katowice
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu May 11, 2017 12:23 am

Re: Mirkwood Campaign?

Post by Katowice » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:34 am

Are there going to be stats for Nazgul in the Mirkwood Campaign book? I read some references to that in the Rhovanion book, but didn't see any stats. One of my gaming friends said they have stats in one of the One Ring books.

Otaku-sempai
Posts: 2741
Joined: Sun May 12, 2013 2:45 am
Location: Lackawanna, NY

Re: Mirkwood Campaign?

Post by Otaku-sempai » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:27 am

Katowice wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:34 am
Are there going to be stats for Nazgul in the Mirkwood Campaign book? I read some references to that in the Rhovanion book, but didn't see any stats. One of my gaming friends said they have stats in one of the One Ring books.
In The One Ring the Wraiths were presented as a more abstract threat until the release of the Rivendell sourcebook where we were presented with the Lord of the Nazgûl and lesser Fell Wraiths (as well as the Barrow-wights and several other undead). I don't think that the remainder of the Nine have been statted out yet.

The game designers haven't been afraid to move things around for Adventures in Middle-earth so it's possible we could see stats for some Wraiths in the Mirkwood Campaign, though we might have to wait for the region guide to Rivendell and Eriador.
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

Enevhar Aldarion
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon May 23, 2016 6:25 pm

Re: Mirkwood Campaign?

Post by Enevhar Aldarion » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:51 am

Otaku-sempai wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:27 am
Katowice wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:34 am
Are there going to be stats for Nazgul in the Mirkwood Campaign book? I read some references to that in the Rhovanion book, but didn't see any stats. One of my gaming friends said they have stats in one of the One Ring books.
In The One Ring the Wraiths were presented as a more abstract threat until the release of the Rivendell sourcebook where we were presented with the Lord of the Nazgûl and lesser Fell Wraiths (as well as the Barrow-wights and several other undead). I don't think that the remainder of the Nine have been statted out yet.

The game designers haven't been afraid to move things around for Adventures in Middle-earth so it's possible we could see stats for some Wraiths in the Mirkwood Campaign, though we might have to wait for the region guide to Rivendell and Eriador.
It is not just a single set of stats for them, at least to me. Depending on when during the time covered by the game and novels, the ring wraiths feel like they have differing power levels. Before and after Sauron declares himself again, with or without a mount, depending on the mount, how many are together in one place. Again, it may just be my perspective, but they seem to be at the height of their power during LotR when they are on their flying mounts and all nine are together, while just after the end of The Hobbit they seem much less powerful.

Otaku-sempai
Posts: 2741
Joined: Sun May 12, 2013 2:45 am
Location: Lackawanna, NY

Re: Mirkwood Campaign?

Post by Otaku-sempai » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:26 pm

Well, the Fell Wraiths presented in Rivendell are lesser Wraiths, at least some of them doubtless victims of morgul-knives. The Lord of the Nazgûl is presented in two forms: 1) The Wraith-lord (when Unclad and Invisible); and 2) The Witch-king (as Dark Undead). Some of his powers only manifest when he appears as the Witch-king.

I had forgotten that the three Ringwraiths of Mirkwood Forest are statted out in The Darkening of Mirkwood (and presumably will be in AiMe's Mirkwood Campaign): The Lieutenant of Dol Guldur; the Ghost of the Forest; and the Messenger of Mordor. Their powers are given for both their Unclad forms and for their forms as Dark Undead. These powers likely would carry over to the remaining Five of the Nine. Other stats and special abilities vary from one to another.
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

Katowice
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu May 11, 2017 12:23 am

Re: Mirkwood Campaign?

Post by Katowice » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:14 pm

Yeah, I believe that's what he told me. Hopefully they'll show up in the Mirkwood Campaign book.
Otaku-sempai wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:26 pm
Well, the Fell Wraiths presented in Rivendell are lesser Wraiths, at least some of them doubtless victims of morgul-knives. The Lord of the Nazgûl is presented in two forms: 1) The Wraith-lord (when Unclad and Invisible); and 2) The Witch-king (as Dark Undead). Some of his powers only manifest when he appears as the Witch-king.

I had forgotten that the three Ringwraiths of Mirkwood Forest are statted out in The Darkening of Mirkwood (and presumably will be in AiMe's Mirkwood Campaign): The Lieutenant of Dol Guldur; the Ghost of the Forest; and the Messenger of Mordor. Their powers are given for both their Unclad forms and for their forms as Dark Undead. These powers likely would carry over to the remaining Five of the Nine. Other stats and special abilities vary from one to another.

Dirk89stensrud
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed May 10, 2017 8:53 pm

Re: Mirkwood Campaign?

Post by Dirk89stensrud » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:42 pm

Is there an update on this?

Otaku-sempai
Posts: 2741
Joined: Sun May 12, 2013 2:45 am
Location: Lackawanna, NY

Re: Mirkwood Campaign?

Post by Otaku-sempai » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:24 pm

The most recent update for Adventures in Middle-earth came out on September 25:
Adventures in Middle-Earth
Rhovanion Region Guide is arriving with US pre-order customers now.
UK/European/International pre-orders have all been dispatched.

Eaves of Mirkwood and Loremaster’s Screen is available in PDF and to pre-order now! It's printing now.
The Road Goes Ever On, map set and travel supplement is available in PDF and to pre-order now! It's printing now.
The next release will be the Mirkwood Campaign.
The link for Quick News Update is on the Cubicle 7 homepage.
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

Glorelendil
Posts: 4804
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:20 pm

Re: Mirkwood Campaign?

Post by Glorelendil » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:01 pm

zedturtle wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:03 pm
Oh no, I'm definitely on the 30 years in game = 30 years IRL plan. :)
When your grand-children end up playing the grand-children of your own favorite TOR characters you know you've achieved True Immersion.
The Munchkin Formerly Known as Elfcrusher
Journey Computer | Combat Simulator | Bestiary | Weapon Calculator

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests