Bestiary

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
Changeling

Bestiary

Post by Changeling » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:37 pm

Hy all, i just bought the Players Manual and waiting for the Loremaster Guide, i have played a lot the MERP in the 80/90s, so i jumped on this game with a lot of expectations..
I am very fond of it, and i love it all...
i have only one concern..
It lacks a real Bestiary, a Monster Manual...
I have seen that there are some specific monsters in the Loremaster Guide, but it seems thats lack some deepness...
Crebain, Huruk-Hai, Nazgul, Kraken, phantoms, barrow-wights, eagles, Balrog (for 20° level heroes), living trees , Ents etc.
The Loremaster guide has some interesting views, but i will love an entire book on the denizens of Middle Earth....
Do you think C7 will make it somewhere in teh future? (Hint Hint)

Hy
Loris

Enevhar Aldarion

Re: Bestiary

Post by Enevhar Aldarion » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:30 pm

Middle-Earth specific creatures will show up in the various adventures and in the LMG. As for a more general book of monsters, I would guess they will simply point you at the 5E D&D Monster Manual, or at least to the free basic rules/SRD for all the monsters that are not IP of WotC.

Changeling

Post by Changeling » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:27 pm

I don't like to have to buy ALL the books c7 will publishto have the stats for the monsters I want to use in my homewritten adventures...
and the monster manual's are a bit generic..
I know... I can use all the monsters, twist sone stats, change the fluff et voila... but it seems like cheating (i'm a real geek, you know)..
but maybe it's only a necessity of mine...
:)

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:18 pm

A Middle-earth Monster Manual might be a bit too thin. Iron Crown managed to publish Creatures of MIddle-earth for MERP, but only by including many original creatures not found in Tolkien's legendarium. On the other hand, it might be useful to include a section on Middle-earth animals that are not necessarily monsters.
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

Enevhar Aldarion

Post by Enevhar Aldarion » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:30 pm

This is really something that should be included with the screen, in addition to, or in place of, the intro adventure. A 32-page booklet of monsters and creatures would be just about right for Middle-Earth.

atgxtg

Post by atgxtg » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:37 pm

Yeah, a Middle Earth MM would be thin. Decipher did one and had to combine it with some expanded rules for magic and magical items to fill out the book (Fell Beats & Wondrous Magic).
In fact, C7 has, in some ways, has expanded upon what ICE and Decipher did, by dividing goblins and orcs up into different breeds.

I wouldn't rule out a Bestiary, it would be very useful, not only to combine all the monster stats onto one book, but also for game stats for mundane animals. I suspect that if they do make one it won't be until they have published several sourcebooks and adventures -both so they actually have a full set on Monsters to put into it, and so that they don't spoil any surprises they might have in store for us by publishing game stats for something before they introduce it in a supplement.

Changeling

Post by Changeling » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:43 am

When i started playing MERP i found that the stats of the monsters in the original book where enough to play...
so i expected something similar in this edition..
:-)
yes, maybe in the Loremaster screen would be nice..

atgxtg

Post by atgxtg » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:30 pm

It also seems likely that C7 would probably hold off on an AiME Bestiary until they write up/create those monsters for TOR.

Darkanath

Post by Darkanath » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:20 pm

Someone have made a great research and have posted it in Google+:
https://plus.google.com/105419312795364 ... 9QWHT7xmix

The file is also available for download off Google Drive:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9FQRO ... I0bDA/view

I found it very useful

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:26 pm

Darkanath wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:20 pm
Someone have made a great research and have posted it in Google+:

I found it very useful
An Easterling assassin might conceivably have a crossbow (hand or otherwise).
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."