Wardens and Shield Proficiency

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
Otaku-sempai

Re: Wardens and Shield Proficiency

Post by Otaku-sempai » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:17 pm

ThrorII wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:51 pm
Soninlawofelfland wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:59 am
However, without the general shield proficiency for wardens the bounder archetype makes absolutely no sense. If you assume the class description on page 86 is in error, then there must be another error with the bounder's description. Bounders may not be martial in offense, but they need an AC bump to do what they do.
They don't NEED a bump in AC. If the Bounder's 'charge' had been given a 'Warden Die', the Bounder can add that to his AC. Also, they gain temporary hit points as their next archetype feature, which would help mitigate the hit.

Finally, the bounder is clearly inspired by the Shire bounders. The Bounder text even mentions 'simple folk'. Shields do not seem appropriate.
Even so, the Bounder seems to be under-served in not receiving any Bonus Proficiencies at all, making me wonder if this was an accidental omission. And the description reads: 'Bounders protect the simple folk so they can go about their lives..." which can fit a Dúnedain Ranger just as well as a Hobbit shirriff, though the expression was certainly inspired by the bounders of the Shire.

Granted, I know of nothing that should prevent Bounder-heroes from acquiring the Shields proficiency on their own.
Training
You can spend time between adventures learning a new language or training with a set of tools. Your DM might allow additional training options.

First, you must find an instructor willing to teach you. The DM determines how long it takes, and whether one or more ability checks are required.

The training lasts for 250 days and costs 1 gp per day. After you spend the requisite amount of time and money, you learn the new language or gain proficiency with the new tool.
Make Training a Year-end Fellowship phase Undertaking. The training lasts for three months(?) and, if the LM determines that there is a cost, make it 1 silver per day. Does this (especially the shorter training time) seem reasonable? Does the Loremaster's Guide cover this subject?
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

BookBarbarian

Post by BookBarbarian » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:00 am

ThrorII wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:41 pm
I've actually decided to treat it like the defensive duelist feat, +proficiency to AC as a Reaction (so one attack per round).
I like this approach too. Although, I understand why something like it wasn't used for AiME since that feat was not included in the SRD.

ThrorII

Post by ThrorII » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:04 am

In 5e, it doesn't take month or years to upgrade your armor proficiencies. You take the Moderately Armored feat and jump from light armor to medium armor with shields.

There is no such feat in AiMe, so you can either add it for that purpose (just as any 5e feat could be added if the LM and players deemed it desirable or needed).

Personally, I'd rule that the AiMe 'Training'' undertaking could/should be expanded to allow for a single weapon proficiency, upgraded armor proficiency, tool proficiency, etc. The LM would have to adjudicate whether the player just train for 'shields' or if 'medium armor' would include shields like the feat.

In 5e, going from light armor to medium armor includes proficiency in shields.

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:23 am

ThrorII wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:04 am
In 5e, it doesn't take month or years to upgrade your armor proficiencies. You take the Moderately Armored feat and jump from light armor to medium armor with shields.

There is no such feat in AiMe, so you can either add it for that purpose (just as any 5e feat could be added if the LM and players deemed it desirable or needed).
All the better. I've seen it suggested that an LM might allow a 5e feat to be taken in the place of a Virtue.
Personally, I'd rule that the AiMe 'Training'' undertaking could/should be expanded to allow for a single weapon proficiency, upgraded armor proficiency, tool proficiency, etc. The LM would have to adjudicate whether the player just train for 'shields' or if 'medium armor' would include shields like the feat.
That might work if the issue is not already covered elsewhere.
In 5e, going from light armor to medium armor includes proficiency in shields.
Thank you for that clarification. I am not sure that this is the case in AME.
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

BookBarbarian

Post by BookBarbarian » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:20 pm

Well it looks like the version 2 of Eaves of Mirkwood has answered my question (Or at least provides a very reasonable alternate rule). Thanks Cubicle 7!

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:16 pm

BookBarbarian wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:20 pm
Well it looks like the version 2 of Eaves of Mirkwood has answered my question (Or at least provides a very reasonable alternate rule). Thanks Cubicle 7!
Okay...great! What was the answer?

Dirk89stensrud

Post by Dirk89stensrud » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:29 am

BookBarbarian wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:52 pm
zedturtle wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:59 am
If you wanted to count instances, don't forget page 207. :)

But, I'll say two words regarding Faithful Protector: Barding Swordmaster.
I am not a fan of Barding Swordmaster. Having a character from one culture that is able to get +2 to+6 AC more than a character of another culture does not appeal to me.

I run the version of the virtue that was present in V1 of the Playe'rs Guide.
What was the original version? I really don't like the current version. Had a friend exploit it and didn't have a good alternative.

BookBarbarian

Post by BookBarbarian » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:37 pm

Dirk89stensrud wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:29 am
BookBarbarian wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:52 pm
zedturtle wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:59 am
If you wanted to count instances, don't forget page 207. :)

But, I'll say two words regarding Faithful Protector: Barding Swordmaster.
I am not a fan of Barding Swordmaster. Having a character from one culture that is able to get +2 to+6 AC more than a character of another culture does not appeal to me.

I run the version of the virtue that was present in V1 of the Playe'rs Guide.
What was the original version? I really don't like the current version. Had a friend exploit it and didn't have a good alternative.
It was a static +1 instead of proficiency bonus.

BookBarbarian

Post by BookBarbarian » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:40 pm

Otaku-sempai wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:16 pm
Okay...great! What was the answer?
I'm going to have to defer to Cubicle 7 on this. It's a paid product and I'm uncomfortable quoting it here when the creators have chosen not to.

Sorry mate.