Wilderland Adventures: News from Afar, Ever Watchful etc...

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
QuietDroid

Wilderland Adventures: News from Afar, Ever Watchful etc...

Post by QuietDroid » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:22 pm

My first time running AiME is next week and I'm running "Don't Leave the Path" followed by "Those Who Tarry No Longer" (time permitting - we literally have all day tho). I have 6 players, one of each class, starting at level 2 then going to level 4 for the second adventure (maybe a mini fellowship phase in-between).

I noticed there are tons of abilities where the Loremaster gives tidbits of information to the players (News From Afar on the scholar for example). Anyone who has run/read these adventures before - what sort of tidbits would you give out to be helpful to the players but not give away too much?

Also, am I crazy to try and run these both in a day? :P
(I'm an experienced DM, just not with AiME, and I know the players very well.)

Otaku-sempai

Re: Wilderland Adventures: News from Afar, Ever Watchful etc...

Post by Otaku-sempai » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:40 pm

QuietDroid wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:22 pm
Also, am I crazy to try and run these both in a day? :P
(I'm an experienced DM, just not with AiME, and I know the players very well.)
If your group is used to all-day game sessions then I don't see a problem as long as you are going to include at least a brief Fellowship phase between the adventures.

As far as giving out information as described, some of it might be false: rumors or deliberate misinformation spread by agents of Shadow. Other bits might be incomplete and misleading (exaggerated stories of treasure or rumors of a dead dragon who is actually still alive, for instance). If you think that you are just giving away valuable intel then you might be revealing too much. On the other hand, these abilities are intended to provide useful information; just leave it vague enough to make the Heroes have to think about it a bit.
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

Majestic

Post by Majestic » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:20 pm

It's pretty ambitious to try to do both in one day; in my opinion "Those Who Tarry" will be the tougher one to complete. It's a pretty long, epic tale, and has the potential to be a bit of a downer, too. I'd recommend preparing your players for this, and you might take a look on The One Ring forums for advice on that one adventure, as it's probably the most challenging of all of them.

"Don't Leave the Path" shouldn't take exceptionally long, though, so the concept of doing two in one (long) day is definitely doable. I'd just be cautious about having to end in the middle of "Tarry", being as it can have elements that are frustrating for the players. You don't want to end your first session with them having negative feelings about the game.

Perhaps only get deep enough into "Tarry" to pique their interest on what will happen next? Like the point where they're captured and being taken away after the attack on the town?

As far as relaying the events, I wouldn't worry too much about it. If your players are typical, they will only follow up on a small portion of what they're told, and that info helps to make them feel like they're part of a much wider world, where events are happening independent of their own surroundings.

Best of luck with your game! :)
Adventure Summaries of our campaign, currently playing through The Darkening of Mirkwood

namkcor

Post by namkcor » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:13 am

I bought the One Ring: The Darkening of Murkwood. As it gives a good amount of info on events that occur 2947- 2977. This also gives potential events and quests you can put into your campaign.

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:50 am

namkcor wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:13 am
I bought the One Ring: The Darkening of Murkwood. As it gives a good amount of info on events that occur 2947- 2977. This also gives potential events and quests you can put into your campaign.
The Darkening of Mirkwood is a terrific ready-made campaign and I'm sure that many Loremasters are looking forward to it being converted for AiMe. The Rhovanion Region Guide is a great resource if you prefer to design your own adventures.
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."