*New LM* XP Rewards and Combat Scaling

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
smilstone

*New LM* XP Rewards and Combat Scaling

Post by smilstone » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:07 pm

I am about to take 4 of my friends through the 7 Wilderland Adventures as a Campaign. We have yet to play, but I am pumped out my gourd.

I have played 5E in the past, but I was the only one in our group to do so. I have a question pertaining to the Wilderland Adventures guide book and the red and green diamonds showing Experience Rewards.

This is how I have made sense of the XP reward system in AiME thus far. If someone could tell me if I am right or wrong I would be greatful.

NON-COMBAT
1. For non-combat things like Audiences the green xp does not get scaled to the party size, it is just awarded after the encounter.

COMBAT
2. If one or two PC in the party are in a combat encounter (like spider's attacking the camp on pg 13) the red icon denotes how difficult the fight should be (1/8 XP???).

I think my problem is confusing scaling and XP reward...
Does the number in the green icon signify the difficulty of the fight, or the reward of the successful encounter?

More specifically, I am stuck going throught the Goblin Feat Hobbit rescue in "Of Leaves & Stewed Hobbit."

On page 34 it denotes a 2 XP reward ((1/4) for each player in my case) at the top of the explanation of the lair. Does this apply to the difficulty/amount of goblins/orcs guarding the feasting room? When do I tally that the players receive this award? Do they also get XP for killing a Orc Soldier? 1/2 XP goes to the PC who deals the final blow?

I know I am wrong because on page 36 it says he XP reward is 3. If I were to use that for scaling: four goblins, two guards, an archer, ect. All of the XP would be used by the Chieftain himself.

I am all sorts of confused and I thought here would be the place to get help,

Thanks and wish me luck.

zedturtle

Re: *New LM* XP Rewards and Combat Scaling

Post by zedturtle » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:24 pm

I'm on the run right now, but a quick example: if a group XP award is set at 1, that corresponds to 200 XP for a group of 4 heroes. So if there are four heroes in the Company, each hero (if you chose to award their non-combat activities in that scene) would get 50 XP.

Does that make sense?
Jacob Rodgers, occasional nitwit.

This space intentionally blank.

smilstone

Post by smilstone » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:52 pm

Yeah! I think in understand that, but does that 1 XP relate in any way to the "difficulty" of the encounter? Like can I use that number (1/8, 1/2, 1, 3) to figure out how many goblins there will be in the feast?

Majestic

Post by Majestic » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:13 pm

The guide says that the items in green "are intended to be divided amongst the party."

So looking at an example, on p. 8 there is an encounter with three thugs, and a green symbol with 1/2 indicated on the right of the page. Going back to the chart on p. 6, we see that 1/2 = 100 XP, and since it is in green that is intended to be divided amongst the party. If there were 4 heroes, they would each earn 25 XP for this.

Using a non-combat example, on p. 17 (under the section "Ancient Wood") it gives another green symbol for 1/4. Looking at the chart on p. 6 shows that 1/4 = 50 XP, and being green it means that you divide that up amongst the party. Again, if there were 4 adventurers, they would each get 12.5 XP.

Looking at a red icon example, on p. 21 there's a red symbol with 1/8. Our chart on p. 6 shows us that 1/8 = 25 XP, so it appears to me that each character in the party (regardless of how many) would get 25 XP for this section (we don't divide it because it's red).

Does that make more sense?
Adventure Summaries of our campaign, currently playing through The Darkening of Mirkwood

Majestic

Post by Majestic » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:16 pm

smilstone wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:52 pm
Yeah! I think in understand that, but does that 1 XP relate in any way to the "difficulty" of the encounter? Like can I use that number (1/8, 1/2, 1, 3) to figure out how many goblins there will be in the feast?
Those numbers are probably a general indication on the strength/challenge of the obstacle. With 5E, 1/8 challenges are pretty weak, whereas Challenge Ratings of 3 are much more dangerous, especially to low-level heroes.

It's important to note that one can't simply eyeball the 5E Challenge Ratings to know how deadly or challenging or dangerous an encounter is. There's a formula for figuring out what a particular group can handle (based on the number of enemies). I think for Wilderland Adventures the work's already been done for you, provided you've got a moderately sized party (at least three adventurers).
Adventure Summaries of our campaign, currently playing through The Darkening of Mirkwood

smilstone

Post by smilstone » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:01 pm

Cool! Thanks, I was just confused because it gives specific numbers for some encounters and not for others. In the Goblin Feast I guess the Misty Mountain Goblins are so weak that it doesn't matter how many there are.

smilstone

Post by smilstone » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:03 pm

Also, do I award the challenge level of the creature as well as a the green icon?

zedturtle

Post by zedturtle » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:04 pm

What a wonderful set of questions! I'm sorry my earlier answer was so short and incomplete. Let's try to fix that... I'll sum up a few different things and let me know what you think:

1. How do Group Awards work?

This one I'm actually pretty sure we're good on... they are optional awards for non-combat achievements by the Company in the progress of an adventure. Take the XP amount corresponding to the Challenge rating and divide it by the number of heroes you have in your group.

2. How do Individual Awards work?

They work much the same way, except they are awarded to individuals (thus the name) instead of the group. So if one hero heals a NPC and it's a turning point in the adventure then you award XP equivalent to the Challenge rating to that single hero.

3. How do these awards interface with XP from combat?

Experience from combat is awarded according to the core rules. Most of the Experience Awards in an adventure will correspond to opportunities for the companions to side-step combat. But there might be a situation in which the heroes work diligently to come up with a creative solution and still end up in combat. It's up to each Loremaster to figure out what's best for their table in those circumstances.

zedturtle

Post by zedturtle » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:05 pm

Majestic wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:16 pm
I think for Wilderland Adventures the work's already been done for you, provided you've got a moderately sized party (at least three adventurers).
See page 4 of Wilderland Adventures... "A suggested level range is given for each adventure. These suggestions are based on a company with four members of varied skills."

zedturtle

Post by zedturtle » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:09 pm

smilstone wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:01 pm
Cool! Thanks, I was just confused because it gives specific numbers for some encounters and not for others. In the Goblin Feast I guess the Misty Mountain Goblins are so weak that it doesn't matter how many there are.
It just depends on how you want to run it. Some Loremasters will want the heroes to definitely find a non-combat solution and thus have so many goblins and orcs at the table that there's no hope of battle solving the problem. Others might decide that a rousing fight is the perfect ending to that situation and have a large number of the goblins sleeping off their celebrations and thus only a few enemies stand against the approach of the adventurers.