Favourite Place in Middle-earth

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
Soninlawofelfland

Re: Favourite Place in Middle-earth

Post by Soninlawofelfland » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:04 pm

I really like the areas between the Shire and Rivendale. When I read the books as a child they seemed so empty (particularly in the Hobbit) and yet not over grown—here in Mississippi the woods are hard to enjoy with the jungle like undergrowth, much of which is poisonous. Even Bree and the Barrow Downs added interest instead of taking away from the initial impression. I loved the initial adventure that came in the MERP box set in the Trollshaws. The art set the tone well.

MrUkpyr

Post by MrUkpyr » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:49 pm

After WotR - take an Ent and go to visit Bombadill and the Old Forest.

Beran

Post by Beran » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:19 pm

Even though my favourite culture is Rohan. My favourite locals would be either Rivendell or Minas Tirith, as they are both places renown Houses of Learning.

JVV

Post by JVV » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:32 pm

kronovan wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:17 pm
I'm so blown away by the craft which Tolkien wrote those paragraphs that I can't believe there are those who find his writing dull; I've personal friends among such nay Sayers.
Much like other amateurs, he's uneven. There are spots like Ithilien or the Dead Marshes that really are brilliant. Then there are spots where he breaks the fourth wall and starts lecturing the reader. Some of this happens in the journey to Rivendell in FotR after leaving Bree. In other spots things just kind of bog down or aren't well-integrated into the story. A good example of this is Strider/Aragorn, was the hobbit(!) Trotter until fairly late in the development of the story and then was intended to marry Eowyn, not Arwen.

BookBarbarian

Post by BookBarbarian » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:31 pm

My favorite place would be Evendim. We get a great look at Gondor in the books, but Arnor is in many ways still a place of mystery.

And post war of the Ring King Elessar would restore the old kingdom and hang out with is hobbit friends there.

All in all it's got great proximity to Dunedain and Hobbits and holds a lot of hooks for adventure restoring the lost realm.

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:15 am

BookBarbarian wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:31 pm
My favorite place would be Evendim. We get a great look at Gondor in the books, but Arnor is in many ways still a place of mystery.
Lake Evendim (Nenuial) was only a day's walk or so from the North Farthing, so one wonders if any hobbits occasionally tried their luck fishing there. On the other hand, the ruins of ancient Arnorian estates probably made such visits rare.
And post war of the Ring King Elessar would restore the old kingdom and hang out with is hobbit friends there.

All in all it's got great proximity to Dunedain and Hobbits and holds a lot of hooks for adventure restoring the lost realm.
I wonder what was the old route that the old road to and from Annúminas would have taken? Might it have run east/west between Annúminas and Fornost Erain, crossing the Baraduin where it turns south? Perhaps a secondary road ran south from the river-crossing, following the Baraduin to where the Brandywine Bridge stands at the time of the Quest of Erebor and the War of the Ring. Traces of such roads might still be found by those who know to look for them.
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

BookBarbarian

Post by BookBarbarian » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:41 pm

Otaku-sempai wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:15 am
Lake Evendim (Nenuial) was only a day's walk or so from the North Farthing, so one wonders if any hobbits occasionally tried their luck fishing there. On the other hand, the ruins of ancient Arnorian estates probably made such visits rare.
I could certainly see a tookish hobbit making his way to the Lake.

I think in one of the Appendices it talks about a company of hobbits that went to "Norbury" and fought when Arthedain fell. So there is some precedent.

Otaku-sempai wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:15 am
I wonder what was the old route that the old road to and from Annúminas would have taken? Might it have run east/west between Annúminas and Fornost Erain, crossing the Baraduin where it turns south? Perhaps a secondary road ran south from the river-crossing, following the Baraduin to where the Brandywine Bridge stands at the time of the Quest of Erebor and the War of the Ring. Traces of such roads might still be found by those who know to look for them.
This is exactly the sort of pondering that intrigues me so.

I would think the road from Annúminas to Fornost Erain would certainly exist as you describe it. A Road down to the brandwine would make sense to me too, especially if would continue, or connect with a road, further southeast toward the Gap of Rohan.

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:17 pm

BookBarbarian wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:41 pm
I think in one of the Appendices it talks about a company of hobbits that went to "Norbury" and fought when Arthedain fell. So there is some precedent.
Yes, that very same company of hobbit bowmen is referenced in the TOR adventure "Concerning Archers" (see Ruins of the North).
I would think the road from Annúminas to Fornost Erain would certainly exist as you describe it. A Road down to the brandwine would make sense to me too, especially if would continue, or connect with a road, further southeast toward the Gap of Rohan.
It seems plain that a north/south road to Annúminas would intersect with the Great East-West Road no more than 80 miles from the Old North-South Road that leads to the Gap of Rohan. It might have even come much closer to Bree, say where the Great Road swings around the Barrow Downs (possibly just called the West Downs at that time).
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

Matchstick

Post by Matchstick » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:56 pm

For me it's simple and perhaps unexciting: the Shire. Peaceful and quiet. Beautiful. Mostly friendly neighbors. Great food and drink. Big birthday parties. Seems like the ideal place to just be. :)

Majestic

Post by Majestic » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:24 pm

The Shire would be a great place to visit. I think I'd pick Rivendell, as it's wondrous, has amazing libraries and roaring fires, is quite safe, and has the enchanting quality of the Elves all about.
Adventure Summaries of our campaign, currently playing through The Darkening of Mirkwood