Favourite Place in Middle-earth

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
zedturtle

Favourite Place in Middle-earth

Post by zedturtle » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:28 pm

So what's everyone's favorite location in Middle-earth? For me it's either going to be Helm's Deep (I spent quite some time as a child trying to recreate it in miniature, well before Lego did any licensed products) or Tol Brandir... a mysterious island that you can get onto, but escaping from is almost impossible (unless you're in good with a Giant Eagle or a Fell Beast)? Sold!
Jacob Rodgers, occasional nitwit.

This space intentionally blank.

steerpike65

Re: Favourite Place in Middle-earth

Post by steerpike65 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:31 pm

I'm going to be completely predictable and say Lothlorien - after all, I named my house after it and planted about 250 trees in the garden (originally just a field), including an avenue of white-barked birches, as a pretentious tribute. :mrgreen: :ugeek: :roll:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” – Mark Twain

kronovan

Post by kronovan » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:39 pm

When I was a child doing my 1st reading, that little waterfall and pool in (think it's Gondor) where Faramir spares Gollum the lethality of his bow at Frodo's pleading, really stood out for me. It's on the westward side of mountains who's opposing slopes are corrupted and populated by the horrors of Mordor; so close, yet so divinely sacred that any taking life from it are are punishable by death.

Next to that is Fangorn. I live in a city where old growth Forest is in view within city limits and my neighborhood in the burbs was populated by urban woodlots. That made the whole animated trees / Ents really resonate with me. I still really like those chapters in the trilogy that venture there.

zedturtle

Post by zedturtle » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:50 pm

Yeah, I really like all of Ithilien... The Window on the West is a beautiful place, and it's arguably one of the most important turning points in the Quest and a post-mortem redemption for Boromir.

kronovan

Post by kronovan » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Ah, found it in Book 4, Chapter 6 of Two Towers; it's named Henneth Annûn and is indeed in Ithilien. Rereading the expository around it, I recall reasons why it enchanted me as a child - I used to vacation in the Coastal and Rocky mountains of Western Canada and the description of the geography, Anduin river and White mountains of Gondor remind of some of the vistas I viewed.

I'm so blown away by the craft which Tolkien wrote those paragraphs that I can't believe there are those who find his writing dull; I've personal friends among such nay Sayers. To me those words are breath taking and enchanting, and create a sort of excitement around the shear majesty of nature. I don't want to sound like a fanatic, but how did a man who spent almost every day of his life in England so artfully describe such locations? Surely he's at the Pinnacle of all Fantasy writers in his genius for world building.

zedturtle

Post by zedturtle » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:59 pm

zedturtle wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:50 pm
Yeah, I really like all of Ithilien... The Window on the West is a beautiful place, and it's arguably one of the most important turning points in the Quest and a post-mortem redemption for Boromir.
Edit: Stupid smartphone

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:08 pm

Whatever edit you made seems to have taken, so I'm not sure what your last post refers to, Jake.
DR. MANHATTAN: I'm leaving this galaxy for one less complicated.
OZYMANDIAS: But you'd regained interest in human life...
DR. MANHATTAN: Yes, I have. I think perhaps I'll create some. Goodbye, Adrian.

zedturtle

Post by zedturtle » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:40 am

Otaku-sempai wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:08 pm
Whatever edit you made seems to have taken, so I'm not sure what your last post refers to, Jake.
My dangerous inability to operate the forum, mostly.

I really thought I was editing my original post. But then realized I was quoting instead, but decided to leave it up, since folks probably wouldn't see the change otherwise.

In any case, what's your favorite place? Blue Mountains, the Grey Havens, etc?

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:19 am

zedturtle wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:40 am
In any case, what's your favorite place? Blue Mountains, the Grey Havens, etc?
Since you ask, I suppose it would be Rivendell (at least if I spoke and read Sindarin). I would love to be able to visit Esgaroth, Dale, Erebor, Minas Tirith, the Grey Havens and (of course) the Shire.
DR. MANHATTAN: I'm leaving this galaxy for one less complicated.
OZYMANDIAS: But you'd regained interest in human life...
DR. MANHATTAN: Yes, I have. I think perhaps I'll create some. Goodbye, Adrian.

Terisonen

Post by Terisonen » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:32 am

Eregion.
Nothing of Worth.