Questions Following 1st Character Creation Session

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
Mykesfree

Re: Questions Following 1st Character Creation Session

Post by Mykesfree » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:18 pm

The other part about player's background that works differently than D&D are the Bold words in the Distinctive Quality and Speciality. Rules for this are on PG. 120-121 in the Player's Guide.

"If you use a speciality in a creative way you are awarded with Inspiration. Generally, use of a speciality doesn’t require an ability check; it is after all your opportunity to shine with experiences from their past.
However, specialities shouldn’t automatically succeed if another ability check would normally be necessary. In
such cases, you still need to succeed at an ability check, but you are considered to be proficient for the purposes of that check. If you are already proficient in the skill being used, then you gain advantage."

I also allow Distinctive Quality as well to be used in this way.

While I think the Background system is really made for customization, the Shadow Weakness, on the other hand, I would leave as is. When the Shadow Weakness comes into play the character becomes an NPC for a short time. In my opinion what the PC thinks should happen is out of their control. So yes a dwarf can become un-dwarf like in their madness. To me, this feature in the system helps to maintain the Middle-earth feel and distinctively make it not a D&D game.

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:52 pm

steerpike65 wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:26 pm
I decided to put together a rough draft of a new background that could work for my Treasure Hunter/Agent player:

EYES OF THRANDUIL

He sent out his spies about the shores of the lake and as far northward towards the Mountain as they would go, and waited.”
I've noticed that the Backgrounds for AiMe are not directly tied to specific Heroic Cultures. I think this needs to be more general so it can include agents, spies and far-ranging scouts for a variety of Cultures. A good example would be Haldir of Lórien, as encountered by the Fellowship of the Ring.

'But there are some of us still who go abroad for the gathering of news and the watching of our enemies, and they speak the languages of other lands. I am one. Haldir is my name.'
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

Majestic

Post by Majestic » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:56 pm

I think you did a great job with this Background, and though it is limited and highly specific, it seems perfectly suited to the concept for that PC. I have a PC in my game who is Thranduil's Emissary (he chose Emissary of his People background), but the storyline in Darkening of Mirkwood led him to many difficult choices on what to report back to the King (I won't spoil it here, but it has to do with the ancient Lamp of Balthi, which Thranduil starts the game ignorant about).

As far as using the Distinctive Qualities for Inspiration, thanks for the reminder on that, Mykesfree. I'd forgotten about that!

What I did on Saturday is start all my players out with Inspiration, encouraged them to remind me and prompt when they felt they hit their relevant qualities, and I was then generous is awarding it back.

I used poker chips, so each player had a visual reminder in front of them of when they had Inspiration (and made them pitch it to the middle of the table when they spent it). Two players created new Men of Gondor, and the way I figured I'll allow the one who can get Inspiration from his Charge is that he'll start the game with Inspiration, and then as soon as he spends it he can point to his Charge and draw instant Inspiration again!
Adventure Summaries of our campaign, currently playing through The Darkening of Mirkwood

steerpike65

Post by steerpike65 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:36 pm

Majestic wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:56 pm
I think you did a great job with this Background, and though it is limited and highly specific, it seems perfectly suited to the concept for that PC.
Yes, although I further developed the concept as a more generic Background in another post, the Background I am actually going to give to my player is the original Eyes of Thranduil (with perhaps a couple of small tweaks) because of just what you stated. Sometimes Generic = Boring and Specific = Flavourful.
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” – Mark Twain