Availability of Multiclassing and PHB feats

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
JimmyTheCannon

Availability of Multiclassing and PHB feats

Post by JimmyTheCannon » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:12 pm

What is the intended availability of things like multiclassing and PHB feats? The Loremaster's Guide discusses the possibility of including spellcasting, but (and admittedly I haven't read every single page) I haven't seen any references to these options.

Personally our group is at least allowing feats. We haven't done any multiclassing but I don't think anyone in our group wanted to - we'd probably allow it if they did, using the PHB versions of the classes as guidelines for what the multiclass requirements of the classes would be. We'd have to come up with one for the Scholar - if any of us was playing one. I'd assume the requirement should be 13 Wisdom, though.

The primary reason I ask this (and why we initially decided to allow feats in our game) is because, without feats or multiclassing, AiMe does not allow for any way to pick up basic things like armor and weapon proficiencies outside of the ones that your class or race provides you, outside of the King's Men virtue for Bardings. The virtues are all extremely flavorful and I love them, but I feel some things like this are lacking without access to the regular feats.

Majestic

Re: Availability of Multiclassing and PHB feats

Post by Majestic » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:37 pm

The LM Guide has some recommendations on p. 53. It gives a chart of minimum prerequisites, and basically says that the LM should allow what makes sense.
Adventure Summaries of our campaign, currently playing through The Darkening of Mirkwood

JimmyTheCannon

Post by JimmyTheCannon » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:43 pm

Ah, so I did miss that. I'd have read more closely if I was the Loremaster for our group.

What about feats, though?

Mykesfree

Post by Mykesfree » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:42 am

After playing D&D 5E since the playtest and almost all of the adventures in the Middle-earth Wilderland Adventures. I can tell you that Adventures in Middle-earth does not have the same feel as D&D. With that being said, mechanically the main difference between your standard D&D and the AiMe rules is the action economy and area of effect attacks. If you want to keep the Middle-earth feel, then you need to be very careful about what feats from D&D are allowed into the AiMe system that replaces a cultural virtue.

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:16 am

So, when a Hero is allowed a Cultural Virtue, allow him (or her) to take a D&D Feat instead? That makes a certain amount of sense.
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

ThrorII

Post by ThrorII » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:43 am

Personally, I'd stay away from specific D&D feats, and instead look at expanding existing undertakings.

For example, there is the Training undertaking. This is used to expand or improve certain cultural virtues. You can easily rule that the Training undertaking allows a hero to gaining one weapon Proficiency; the next higher armour Proficiency; or one tool, one kit, or one musical instrument Proficiency.

Majestic

Post by Majestic » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:22 pm

There's a few Feats I'll allow my players to choose, if they want to. Sentinel, for example, is a great Feat that allows a 'protector' type character to help defend his companions, so very much fits the feel of Tolkien's works.
Adventure Summaries of our campaign, currently playing through The Darkening of Mirkwood

Caladan

Post by Caladan » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:40 pm

I wish AIME had a table like the one on pg 164 of the 5th edition PHB, which explains what Proficiencies or skills that are gained when you multi class.