No crossbow in this game version

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
Rich H

Re: No crossbow in this game version

Post by Rich H » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:48 pm

Otaku-sempai wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:44 pm
You can have them in your game, Rich. Okay? ;)
TOR resources thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=62
TOR miniatures thread: viewtopic.php?t=885

Fellowship of the Free Tale of Years: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8318

Hermes Serpent

Post by Hermes Serpent » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:43 pm

Also no war goats or ogre mounted trebuchets.
Some TOR Information on my G+ Drive.
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing
"The One Ring's not a computer game, dictated by stats and inflexible rules, it's a story telling game." - Clawless Dragon

silverfoxdmt73

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:52 pm

Are the LotR films not considered canon then? Do the Men of Minas Tirith not count? I seem to recall (maybe incorrectly) that they wear plate armour.

Terisonen

Post by Terisonen » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:58 pm

Depend on your choice. I, personally, would say 'No'.
Nothing of Worth.

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:01 pm

silverfoxdmt73 wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:52 pm
Are the LotR films not considered canon then?
No offense intended, but is that a serious question? Of course the films don't count as Tolkien canon.
Do the Men of Minas Tirith not count? I seem to recall (maybe incorrectly) that they wear plate armour.
They wear partial plate, at least in the films. In Tolkien's legendarium I'm not sure that the Tower Guards would even wear cuirasses or any form of breastplate.
The Guards of the gate were robed in black, and their helms were of strange shape, high-crowned, with long cheek-guards close-fitting to the face, and above the cheek-guards were set the white wings of sea-birds; but the helms gleamed with a flame of silver, for they were indeed wrought of mithril, heirlooms from the glory of old days. Upon the black surcoats were embroidered in white a tree blossoming like snow beneath a silver crown and many-pointed stars. This was the livery of the heirs of Elendil, and none wore it now in all Gondor, save the Guards of the Citadel before the Court of the Fountain where the White Tree once had grown.
After Pippin entered the service of Denethor, he was equipped in the livery and gear of the Tower:
It was as he said; and Pippin soon found himself arrayed in strange garments, all of black and silver. He had a small hauberk, its rings forged of steel, maybe, yet black as jet; and a high-crowned helm with small raven-wings on either side, set with a silver star in the centre of the circlet. Above the mail was a short surcoat of black, but broidered on the breast in silver with the token of the Tree.
Last edited by Otaku-sempai on Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

silverfoxdmt73

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:05 pm

Otaku-sempai wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:01 pm
No offense intended, but is that a serious question? Of course the films don't count as Tolkien canon.
Hahahahaha....

poosticks7

Post by poosticks7 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:13 pm

I have a certain player in my TOR game who always mentions giant crossbow every time the group go to Dale or Laketown. He does it to wind me up and it has become a running joke in our group.

MrUkpyr

Post by MrUkpyr » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:41 pm

poosticks7 wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:13 pm
I have a certain player in my TOR game who always mentions giant crossbow every time the group go to Dale or Laketown. He does it to wind me up and it has become a running joke in our group.
A ballista (the correct name for the giant crossbow) is not the same as a hand-held crossbow.

One easy example that comes to mind is the Romans, who had the ballista, but did not use crossbows.

Stormcrow

Post by Stormcrow » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:46 pm

silverfoxdmt73 wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:52 pm
Are the LotR films not considered canon then?
It hurts us, it hurts us! It freezes, it bites! Jackson twisted it, curse him! Nasty cruel filmmakers! That’s why we tries to escape, of course it is, precious. We guessed they were cruel filmmakers. They visits Jackson, fierce Jackson with scraggly beard. Take it off us! It hurts us.

(Okay, they're not that bad. Except maybe The Battle of [the] Five Armies. That was pretty bad.)

zedturtle

Post by zedturtle » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:50 pm

Stormcrow wrote: (Okay, they're not that bad. Except maybe The Battle of [the] Five Armies. That was pretty bad.)
I still haven't seen that movie. Every once in a while I wonder if I should...
Jacob Rodgers, occasional nitwit.

This space intentionally blank.