No crossbow in this game version

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
Glorelendil

Re: No crossbow in this game version

Post by Glorelendil » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:20 am

I won't be happy until my Hobbit can dual-wield hand crossbows.
The Munchkin Formerly Known as Elfcrusher
Journey Computer | Combat Simulator | Bestiary | Weapon Calculator

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:26 am

Glorelendil wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:20 am
Loading. Because of the time required to load this weapon, you can fire only one piece of ammunition from it when you use an action, bonus action, or reaction to fire it, regardless of the number of attacks you can normally make.

I would rule that you could fire two hand crossbows in the same round, but reloading both of them is one full-round action, so you can fire them both only every other round. Good luck with convincing your Loremaster to let you have the crossbows! :lol:
Last edited by Otaku-sempai on Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

Terisonen

Post by Terisonen » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:25 am

Glorelendil wrote:
With poisoned bolt?
Nothing of Worth.

MrUkpyr

Post by MrUkpyr » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:48 pm

Terisonen wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:25 am
Glorelendil wrote:
With poisoned bolt?
Would be how you quickly fall to the shadow (grin).

JVV

Post by JVV » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:43 pm

Otaku-sempai wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:12 pm
I might let a Black Númenórean Captain from Umbar wield a two-handed sword out of sheer cussedness. Heck, I might even give him half plate just to be a bastich. Then there's that Easterling assassin with her crossbow... :twisted:
That's a good way to work it. Crossbows could also be some of the "infernal machines" that the Orthanc orcs come up with. It's pretty clear they're messing around with gunpowder or something like it. Alternatively, given that the crossbow really isn't all that mechanically infernal, it might be something that Noldor invented back in the day.

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:20 pm

JVV wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:43 pm
Crossbows could also be some of the "infernal machines" that the Orthanc orcs come up with. It's pretty clear they're messing around with gunpowder or something like it. Alternatively, given that the crossbow really isn't all that mechanically infernal, it might be something that Noldor invented back in the day.
Actually, I like the idea of the crossbow originating in the East (which seems to be historically accurate, as far as it goes. Though the Greeks seem to have invented it independently).

"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

JimmyTheCannon

Post by JimmyTheCannon » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:34 pm

Glorelendil wrote:
RAW you can't do Two-Weapon Fighting with hand crossbows in 5e - TWF requires specifically light *melee* weapons.

You could do it with the Crossbow Expert feat (which gives you a Bonus Action attack with a loaded hand crossbow you're holding when you attack with a One-Handed weapon), but thematics aside it's mechanically inferior to just using a single hand crossbow - you don't have a free hand to reload, and you can do the BA attack just holding a single Hand Crossbow and no other weapons. Plus then you (eventually) need two magic hand crossbows instead of one.

But it is much cooler to wield two.