Why does the Scholar suck so bad

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
cdj0902

Re: Why does the Scholar suck so bad

Post by cdj0902 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:23 am

JimmyTheCannon wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:49 am
MrUkpyr wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:21 pm
Since none of the cultural virtues would negate a "negative fire into combat modifier", and AiME does not specifically state that there is such a modifier, I also removed said modifier to give the Scholar a better chance of being able to fire into combat. Of course, I also removed the modifier for when the baddies fire at the PCs who are in combat :twisted: .
If you mean the old 3.0/3.5 penalty for attacking a character that is in melee with another character - that doesn't exist in 5e. Cover is a thing but a penalty for firing into melee is not.
Right. Core 5E only gives a penalty to a ranged attacker if they are engaged with an enemy. No "house rules" needed for firing into an engagement, there is no penalty for that.

Perhaps the original poster will adjust his approach next time (if there is a next time). This is the Shire, and we don't like poor manners here!

MrUkpyr

Post by MrUkpyr » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:16 pm

JimmyTheCannon wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:49 am
If you mean the old 3.0/3.5 penalty for attacking a character that is in melee with another character - that doesn't exist in 5e. Cover is a thing but a penalty for firing into melee is not.
I did not know it had been removed!! Thank you muchly for telling me (grins).

Majestic

Post by Majestic » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:43 pm

I told my group about this topic before we played on Saturday night. It is especially notable being that the majority of the party (3 of the 5 PCs) are playing Scholars (though one has Multiclassed a bunch).

The Scholars performed admirably, even in combat. And their ability to remove conditions proved huge (twice it was used to undo the Paralyzed condition, which had incapacitated characters).

After the game, one of the players (of a Scholar) laughed and pointed out how valuable they were, escpecially in the big battle, and how they very much did NOT suck! :)
Adventure Summaries of our campaign, currently playing through The Darkening of Mirkwood