Herbalism Kit?

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
daedel

Herbalism Kit?

Post by daedel » Thu May 25, 2017 3:58 pm

Scholar Class has proficiency in Herbalism Kit and he can even double proficiency value, but what's the use? I haven't found any reference to any usage for a herbalism kit. I've figured out you can use it to create potions and salves like the ones you can get in Esgaroth but I haven't found any rule regarding it. Any help?
Baruk-Khazad! Khazad-ai-Menu!

MrUkpyr

Re: Herbalism Kit?

Post by MrUkpyr » Thu May 25, 2017 4:26 pm

daedel wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 3:58 pm
Scholar Class has proficiency in Herbalism Kit and he can even double proficiency value, but what's the use? I haven't found any reference to any usage for a herbalism kit. I've figured out you can use it to create potions and salves like the ones you can get in Esgaroth but I haven't found any rule regarding it. Any help?
One thing that the kit enables you to do is actually harvest the cool herbs which Middle Earth has available.

I've also decided that using herbs contained in the kit (as opposed to ones you bought loose and are storing in a pouch or something) give a +1 or +2 to the roll when using the kit... ex: Using Athelas to heal someone - you first make your Herbalism Kit to correctly prepare the herbs, and making this first roll then provides a +1 effect bonus (or +2 if you crit on the "use herbalism kit" roll) to the medicine roll.

Depending on how it works, I may increase those numbers to +2/+3 or +4.

Majestic

Post by Majestic » Thu May 25, 2017 6:34 pm

Since 5E rarely uses bonuses (other than for weapons), another idea is to let a player with an Herbalism Kit roll with advantage.
Adventure Summaries of our campaign, currently playing through The Darkening of Mirkwood

zedturtle

Post by zedturtle » Thu May 25, 2017 7:05 pm

The Herbalism Kit is a tool, which allows you to add your Proficiency Bonus to any applicable attribute check. To pick a completely random example, say you wanted to mix up herbs and cooking spices to do a number on Goblin digestion. Using a Herbalism Kit would allow you to add your Proficiency Bonus if the Loremaster asked you to make an Intelligence check to see how you did in getting the mixture right.
Jacob Rodgers, occasional nitwit.

This space intentionally blank.

MrUkpyr

Post by MrUkpyr » Thu May 25, 2017 7:08 pm

Majestic wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 6:34 pm
Since 5E rarely uses bonuses (other than for weapons), another idea is to let a player with an Herbalism Kit roll with advantage.
Interesting idea!

Enevhar Aldarion

Post by Enevhar Aldarion » Thu May 25, 2017 9:30 pm

MrUkpyr wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 4:26 pm

I've also decided that using herbs contained in the kit (as opposed to ones you bought loose and are storing in a pouch or something) give a +1 or +2 to the roll when using the kit... ex: Using Athelas to heal someone - you first make your Herbalism Kit to correctly prepare the herbs, and making this first roll then provides a +1 effect bonus (or +2 if you crit on the "use herbalism kit" roll) to the medicine roll.
Also, unless I missed it in the AiME books, 5th Ed only gives you critical successes and misses on combat rolls. A 1 or a 20 on anything else is just another normal roll, not an auto fail or success or a "crit".

daedel

Post by daedel » Thu May 25, 2017 10:43 pm

Ok, so what about this: any character can use Survival (DC variable) to find out herbs, if available in a given area. Any character with a Herbalism Kit can make a Wisdom check (maybe dexterity?) to cook one of the salves and potions listed in AIME. A character proficient with Herbalism kit can add up his prociency bonus. A Master Healer Scholar can use Herbalism Kit to upgrade the effects of the aforementioned herbs. And finally, a character whose Specialty is Herb-Lore can use it to find herbs if available (possibly without checks) and to cook potions and salves (with a check adding his proficiency bonus or if he already has proficiency in herbalism kit, with advantage). How does it sound?
Baruk-Khazad! Khazad-ai-Menu!

JimmyTheCannon

Post by JimmyTheCannon » Thu May 25, 2017 11:23 pm

Enevhar Aldarion wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 9:30 pm
Also, unless I missed it in the AiME books, 5th Ed only gives you critical successes and misses on combat rolls. A 1 or a 20 on anything else is just another normal roll, not an auto fail or success or a "crit".
Also Death Saving Throws, but yes.

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Fri May 26, 2017 1:25 am

Well, can we learn anything from the Healer's Kit (5 gp in D&D 5e vs. 5s in AiMe)? Here is the description:
Healer’s Kit. This kit is a leather pouch containing bandages, salves, and splints. The kit has ten uses. As an action, you can expend one use of the kit to stabilize a creature that has 0 hit points, without needing to make a Wisdom (Medicine) check.
I suggest that the Herbalist's Kit* should also have ten uses. Each use of the kit by a character who possesses the skill of Herb-lore can have one of the following effects:
  • As an action, you can alleviate the effects of one level of exhaustion for one person without the need to make an Intelligence (Lore) check. The level does not go away, just the penalty.
  • As an action, you can neutralize the effects of a single poison type for one creature without needing to make an Intelligence (Lore) check.
  • You can brew one dose of a hagweed potion (see the Player's Guide.
  • You can make one dose of a salve made from reedmace root (see the Player's Guide.
  • You can brew one dose of a potion made from shadow-thorn powder (see the Player's Guide.
  • You can brew one dose of a potion made from the white water-lily (see the Player's Guide.
  • You can brew one dose of a potion made from the red water-lily (see the Player's Guide.
* EDIT: since I wrote this post, I've found a description of the Herbalism Kit in the D&D 5e SRD-OGL document:
Herbalism Kit. This kit contains a variety of instruments such as clippers, mortar and pestle, and pouches and vials used by herbalists to create remedies and potions. Proficiency with this kit lets you add your proficiency bonus to any ability checks you make to identify or apply herbs. Also, proficiency with this kit is required to create antitoxin and potions of healing.
Last edited by Otaku-sempai on Fri May 26, 2017 5:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

JimmyTheCannon

Post by JimmyTheCannon » Fri May 26, 2017 2:58 am

Well, for one, Herb-Lore isn't a skill. It's available as a specialty on the Lure of the Wild and Magician backgrounds, but that's an extremely niche item that very few characters would be able to use. Maybe make it a Tool Proficiency that can be chosen?

With that said, are you suggesting it contains the complete ingredients to make 10 of those potions, or 10 times with the kit, you can do either of the first two things, or make one of the potions/salves after getting the appropriate plant? Because I feel it should be the latter - it definitely shouldn't contain the rare herbs for those potions, but the common ingredients that you need to mix those herbs with, sure, that makes sense.