Legendary ME Weapons

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
BookBarbarian

Re: Legendary ME Weapons

Post by BookBarbarian » Wed May 17, 2017 9:28 pm

You could, but in 5e +3 already IS Legendary. It's literally the top of the top for all Magic Weapons and Armour designed for the game in the Dungeon Master's Guide and every published adventure. Including artifacts that would be way inappropriately overpowered for a Middle Earth setting like Blackrazor.

Higher than +3 seems like having a guitar amplifier that goes up to 11 instead of 10 just to say "But this one goes to eleven." _\m/

Beran

Post by Beran » Thu May 18, 2017 6:28 am

They must have changed things. Most parties have truck loads of +3 weapons by the time they reach 7-10 levels in D&D. That is an awful lot of legendary weapons floating around out there. BTB, do they not still have the Holy Avenger for the Paladin? +5 wasn't it?

At the risk of naming another product here. People should check out "The Hero's Journey". It has the best magic weapon system I've seen.

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Thu May 18, 2017 3:35 pm

Beran wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 6:28 am
They must have changed things. Most parties have truck loads of +3 weapons by the time they reach 7-10 levels in D&D. That is an awful lot of legendary weapons floating around out there. BTB, do they not still have the Holy Avenger for the Paladin? +5 wasn't it?
As far as on-line resources are concerned, the Player's Basic Rules do not address the subject of magical weapons and armor. The DM's Basic Rules and the SRD-OGL document include a number of notes:
  • Ammunition, +1, +2, or +3 (SRD-OGL only)
    Weapon (any ammunition), uncommon (+1), rare (+2), or very rare (+3)

You have a bonus to attack and damage rolls made with this piece of magic ammunition. The bonus is determined by the rarity of the ammunition. Once it hits a target, the ammunition is no longer magical.
  • Armor, +1, +2, or +3
    Armor (light, medium or heavy), rare (+1), very rare (+2), or legendary (+3)

You have a bonus to AC while wearing this armor. The bonus is determined by its rarity.
  • Shield, +1, +2, or +3 (SRD-OGL only)
    Armor (shield), rare (+1), very rare (+2), or legendary (+3)

While holding this shield, you have a bonus to AC determined by the shield's rarity. This bonus is in addition to the shield's normal bonus to AC.
  • Weapon, +1, +2, or +3
    Weapon (any), rare (+1), very rare (+2), or legendary (+3)

You have a bonus to attack and damage rolls made with this magic weapon. The bonus is determined by the weapon's rarity.
There is no separate general rule for magical swords. A look through specific magic items shows no weapons or armor with a bonus greater than +3, including such swords as the Holy Avenger. So, yeah, this is a significant (and surprising, at least to me) change from previous editions.

I do not possess the AiMe Loremaster's Guide. If Bane Weapons gain a +1 or +2 vs. a specific monster type then I suggest that this bonus should stack with the weapon's normal bonus against that adversary.
Last edited by Otaku-sempai on Thu May 18, 2017 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

Michebugio

Post by Michebugio » Thu May 18, 2017 5:01 pm

Otaku-sempai wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 3:35 pm
So, yeah, this is a significant (and surprising, at least to me) change from previous editions.
The beauty of 5th edition (a.k.a. the Purge of Powerplayers) is bounded accuracy, that keeps game numbers from exploding. Along with the (apparent) disappearance of Prestige Classes, in my opinion.

Player-characters in this edition are developed more "horizontally" than "vertically", i.e. they gain more options than bonuses, and that's good: it's not a race to being the strongest, but the fittest (versatility and adaptability).

But I don't want to keep going off-topic. To me, the thumb-rules for magic weapons are these:

+1: Heirlooms and dwarf-forged weapons, very expensive but replicable in limited quantities, or any unnamed weapon from First and Second Ages that were made in quantity (ex. the hobbits' blades of Westernesse);

+2: unique, ancient weapons, coming from the First and Second Ages, that have a name but whose smith's name is now lost to everybody except the greatest scholars (ex. Glamdring, Orcrist);

+3: legendary weapons of yore from the greatest smiths of all times, whose owners played a significant part in Arda's history (ex. Andùril).

Majestic

Post by Majestic » Thu May 18, 2017 10:35 pm

Beran wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 6:28 am

At the risk of naming another product here. People should check out "The Hero's Journey". It has the best magic weapon system I've seen.
I agree with what Michebugio wrote. The whole concept of bounded accuracy changes the dynamics and mechanics significantly from past editions.

I have a group of about eight PCs (all about level 7), and nobody has greater than a +1 weapon yet. One character (who is tiny and underpowered) has +2 ammunition (that she rarely uses).
Adventure Summaries of our campaign, currently playing through The Darkening of Mirkwood

JimmyTheCannon

Post by JimmyTheCannon » Fri May 19, 2017 12:18 am

In 5e official content the highest bonuses tend to go is +3.

With that said... Legendary weapons (and armor) in AiME can end up with bonuses beyond +3, particularly if you're giving a +1-3 bonus on top of the enchanted qualities and it stacks. The enchanted qualities say the bonuses they grant stack with all others; with armor bonuses alone you can get, oh, I believe +5 to AC from the enchanted qualities alone. I haven't looked to see what the highest bonus you can get to attack or damage is but I wouldn't be surprised if it's similar - and that's before counting a basic +1-3 outside of those qualities. So with that in mind, I definitely wouldn't give a higher flat bonus than +3.

To be frank I'm not 100% certain all of this is balanced properly, but that's how it's written.

daedel

Post by daedel » Wed May 24, 2017 7:54 am

I'd like to ask your opinion, fellow comrades, regarding Undertaking "Go to the market pool". Taking this and paying good gold coins could theorically allow you to get a +2 to hit and damage (yeah, costs will be high but...) weapon. And if that weapon was previously a dwarf-forged one we could get a +3 to hit/damage weapon. Is this reasoning correct? Is there anything I am missing here?
Baruk-Khazad! Khazad-ai-Menu!

zedturtle

Post by zedturtle » Wed May 24, 2017 8:59 am

Note that each improvement by visiting the Market-pool can be selected only twice, and an upgrade can be for to-hit OR damage. So a weapon obtained there could be +1/+1, +2/+0, or +0/+2 after both upgrades.

I'm not certain that the smiths of Lake-town can improve upon the working of the Dwarves.
Jacob Rodgers, occasional nitwit.

This space intentionally blank.

BookBarbarian

Post by BookBarbarian » Thu May 25, 2017 12:06 am

zedturtle wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 8:59 am
Note that each improvement by visiting the Market-pool can be selected only twice, and an upgrade can be for to-hit OR damage. So a weapon obtained there could be +1/+1, +2/+0, or +0/+2 after both upgrades.

I'm not certain that the smiths of Lake-town can improve upon the working of the Dwarves.
Interesting point about the upgrades. i hadn't realized that.

I'd rule that smiths of Lake town cannot improve on dwarf wrought weapons. Lake Town and Dale benefited from being near Erebor because the smiths their were so renowned. That indicates to me who had the greater skill

Katowice

Post by Katowice » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:16 pm

Is there some reason that dwarves-made weapons can’t be bane weapons? Is this in error?