Legendary ME Weapons

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
Dirk89stensrud

Legendary ME Weapons

Post by Dirk89stensrud » Wed May 10, 2017 9:34 pm

With the Loremaster's guide having a layout for how to create "magic" weapons, how would you all build weapons like Andúril, Angrist, Glamdring, etc?

I'll start with one.

Andúril
-Longsword
-Qualities
-Flame of Hope, Superior Fell, and Runes of Victory

Thoughts?

Michebugio

Re: Legendary ME Weapons

Post by Michebugio » Wed May 10, 2017 11:04 pm

Anduril (or its old incarnation, Narsil) is technically a Dwarf-forged weapon, so it should add at least a +1 bonus to all attack and damage rolls made with it. As an heirloom of the descendants of Elros, the first King of Númenor, and given the fact that it was made in Nogrod by Telchar, one of the greatest dwarven smiths of all time, I'd say that it's enough to state that it adds a +3 bonus to all attack and damage rolls made with it, instead.

Next, the inscription upon the blade (in cirth runes) reads "Nanye Anduril i ne Narsil i macil Elendilo. Lercuvanten i mali Mordoreo." Which translates to "I am Anduril who was Narsil, the sword of Elendil. Let the thralls of Mordor flee me."

"Andùril" means literally "Flame of the West", so it definitely deserves the Flame of Hope quality; the Cirth runes inscription may qualify it also for Runes of Victory; finally, "Let the thralls of Mordor flee me" sounds like a perfect description of Gleam of Terror.

So, in synthesis:

Andùril
Dwarven-craftsmanship +3 magic longsword
Qualities (in order of discovery):
1. Runes of Victory
2. Flame of Hope
3. Gleam of Terror

Let's do another: Glamdring.
"Glamdring" means Foe-hammer (and it was called Beater by the orcs), and it belonged to the Elven King Turgon of Gondolin. It is then of Elven Craftsmanship, very likely with the Orc Bane. It's an artifact of the First Age, but its smith is never mentioned so it shouldn't have been much famous: I'd say that a +2 bonus to all attack and damage rolls would be most appropriate.
It's also covered in runes (again, Runes of Victory) and, along with Orcrist, it would glow blue in the presence of Orcs (Luminescence).
Only speculation can be made about the third Quality, but since Gandalf used it to slay a Balrog (and to destroy its flaming sword), I'd say that it should be a very powerful, universal (not Bane-only) Quality. Superior Grievous is where I would place my bet.

In synthesis:

Glamdring
Elven-craftsmanship +2 magic longsword
Bane: Orcs
Qualities (in order of discovery)
1. Runes of Victory
2. Luminescence
3. Superior Grievous

ThrorII

Post by ThrorII » Thu May 11, 2017 12:29 am

Anduril
Anduril is the sword of Aragorn, reforged from the shards of Narsil. Created by the great Dwarf-smith Telchar, the blade was reforged by Elven-smiths in Rivendell.

Type: Longsword
Craftsmanship: Dwarven
Enchantments: 1. Runes of Victory; 2. Gleam of Terror; 3. Flame of Hope.

Glamdring
Forged by the High Elves of Gondolin, Glamdring was the sword of the Elven King Turgon. It has a white, jeweled scabbard.

Craftsmanship: Elven
Enchantments: 1. Luminescence; 2. Raging; 3. Superior Grievous

Majestic

Post by Majestic » Fri May 12, 2017 4:58 pm

I am with Michebugio, in that I think Anduril should most definitely be a +3 (to both attacks and damage).
Adventure Summaries of our campaign, currently playing through The Darkening of Mirkwood

Dirk89stensrud

Post by Dirk89stensrud » Fri May 12, 2017 9:07 pm

ThrorII wrote:
Thu May 11, 2017 12:29 am
Anduril
Anduril is the sword of Aragorn, reforged from the shards of Narsil. Created by the great Dwarf-smith Telchar, the blade was reforged by Elven-smiths in Rivendell.

Craftsmanship: Dwarven
Enchantments: 1. Runes of Victory; 2. Gleam of Terror; 3. Flame of Hope.

Glamdring
Forged by the High Elves of Gondolin, Glamdring was the sword of the Elven King Turgon. It has a white, jeweled scabbard.

Craftsmanship: Elven
Enchantments: 1. Luminescence; 2. Raging; 3. Superior Grievous
What's your reasoning for choosing raging as a perk for Glamdring? Just curious.

Michebugio

Post by Michebugio » Fri May 12, 2017 9:57 pm

Just for fun, here is Bilbo's (and later Frodo's) "paraphernalia": Sting and and the Mithril-Coat.

Sting
Elven Craftsmanship +1 short sword
1. Luminescence
2. Superior Keen (Sting is described as being particularly sharp)
3. (optional, since probably neither Bilbo nor Frodo reached the level to discover the third quality) Runes of Victory (they were later added by Bilbo: "Maegnas aen estar nin dagnir in yngyl im". Translated into English, it reads, "Sting is my name; I am the spider's bane.")

Small Mithril-Coat
Dwarven Craftsmanship Corslet of mail
1. Ancient Cunning Make
2. Mithril Armour
3. (optional, since probably neither Bilbo nor Frodo reached the level to discover the third quality) Close-Fitting or Ancient Close-Fitting

Note that this armour's stats, beginning from 5th level, are AC 16 + Dex (max 2), it weighs only 5 pounds (half the weight of a leather jerkin! so that's how it can be concealed under clothes), negates critical hits and offers resistance to piercing and slashing! Now we understand why the mithril-coat was considered to be worth more than the entire worth of the Shire.

ThrorII

Post by ThrorII » Fri May 12, 2017 10:53 pm

Dirk89stensrud wrote:
Fri May 12, 2017 9:07 pm

What's your reasoning for choosing raging as a perk for Glamdring? Just curious.
I see Glamdring and Orcrist as sister-blades. Those were the abilities of Orcrist in the Rivendell supplement for TOR. Both blades seemed to have a 'hatred' of Orcs, and Raging seemed to capture that.

Dirk89stensrud

Post by Dirk89stensrud » Sat May 13, 2017 8:45 pm

ThrorII wrote:
Fri May 12, 2017 10:53 pm
Dirk89stensrud wrote:
Fri May 12, 2017 9:07 pm

I see Glamdring and Orcrist as sister-blades. Those were the abilities of Orcrist in the Rivendell supplement for TOR. Both blades seemed to have a 'hatred' of Orcs, and Raging seemed to capture that.
Yeah that makes sense. I like that

JimmyTheCannon

Post by JimmyTheCannon » Sat May 13, 2017 8:50 pm

We were looking at +3, Flame of Hope, Runes of Victory, and Superior Keen for Anduril. Haven't statted out any other weapons yet.

Beran

Post by Beran » Sun May 14, 2017 5:57 am

Correct me if I am wrong (it has been awhile since I read the rules), but is the "+" of a magic weapon not directly related to the prof bonus of the character wielding it?