Shadow Items

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
Otaku-sempai

Re: Shadow Items

Post by Otaku-sempai » Thu May 04, 2017 1:36 pm

Beran wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 5:13 am
IIRC, in the books, Morgul Blades turned to dust if sunlight hit them.
Yes, though could that be only after they are damaged?
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

Terisonen

Post by Terisonen » Thu May 04, 2017 2:40 pm

BookBarbarian wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 5:26 pm
the first thing that came to my mind was the Barrow treasure from Fellowship of the Ring. Tom Bombadil has the Hobbits take the Westernesse blades, but leave everything else behind in the open.

I had a couple of thoughts about this:

It seems like the treasure was cursed except maybe if it had strong enchantments by the powers of good.

leaving the cursed treasure open to Nature could have potentially have a cleansing affect over time, but it might just be that letting barrow robbers get free cursed treasure is a net good to Tommy B.

Sorry there's no specific advice in my post. just random thoughts.
Taking some part of the barrow treasure without selfishness in mind seem sufficient to lift curse. In Middle-Earth, you're carrying your own curse and don't falling to tentation is a central theme.
Nothing of Worth.

Morgoth

Post by Morgoth » Thu May 04, 2017 3:23 pm

Beran wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 5:13 am
IIRC, in the books, Morgul Blades turned to dust if sunlight hit them.
Sorry, but don't they turn to dust after touching living flesh? When Aragorn touched the one that stabbed Frodo, it seems like it was almost dawn, but not quite. I guess it's hard to say if it has Aragorn's touch, or the growing light that made it disappear. But it would be a difficult weapon for the Witch King to keep intact if it couldn't even touch the smallest amount of pre-dawn indirect sunlight.
FotR A Knife in the Dark wrote:He stooped again and lifted up a long thin knife. There was a cold gleam in it. As Strider raised it they saw that near the end its edge was notched and the point was broken off. But even as he held it up in the growing light, they gazed in astonishment, for the blade seemed to melt, and vanished like a smoke in the air, leaving only the hilt in Strider's hand.
I smashed down the light and dared Valinor
I smashed down the light, revenge will be mine

BookBarbarian

Post by BookBarbarian » Thu May 04, 2017 6:53 pm

Morgoth wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 3:23 pm
Sorry, but don't they turn to dust after touching living flesh? When Aragorn touched the one that stabbed Frodo, it seems like it was almost dawn, but not quite. I guess it's hard to say if it has Aragorn's touch, or the growing light that made it disappear. But it would be a difficult weapon for the Witch King to keep intact if it couldn't even touch the smallest amount of pre-dawn indirect sunlight.
FotR A Knife in the Dark wrote:He stooped again and lifted up a long thin knife. There was a cold gleam in it. As Strider raised it they saw that near the end its edge was notched and the point was broken off. But even as he held it up in the growing light, they gazed in astonishment, for the blade seemed to melt, and vanished like a smoke in the air, leaving only the hilt in Strider's hand.
I always thought that it was the fact that the blade had served it's dark purpose by leaving a sliver in Frodo that caused it to melt away. Probably just my interpretation though.

monje29

Post by monje29 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:08 pm

Magic Item Resilience
Most magic items are objects of extraordinary artisanship.Thanks as to a combination of careful crafting and magical reinforcement, a magic item is at least as durable as a nonmagical item of its kind. Most magic items other than potions and scrolls,have resistance to all damage.Artifacts are practically indestructible,requiring extraordinary measures to destroy.

Statistics for Objects

When time is a factor, you can assign an Armor Class and hit points to a destructible object. You can also give it immunities, resistances, and vulnerabilities to specific types of damage.

Armor Class
An object's Armor Class is a measure of how difficult it is to deal damage to the object when striking it (because the object has no chance of dodging out of the way). The Object Armor Class table provides suggested AC values for various substances.

Substance AC
Cloth, paper, rope 11
Crystal, glass, ice 13
Wood, bone 15
Stone 17
Iron, steel 19
Mithral 21
Adamantine 23

Hit Points
An object's hit points measure how much damage it can take before losing its structural integrity. Resilient objects have more hit points than fragile ones. Large objects also tend to have more hit points than small ones, unless breaking a small part of the object is just as effective as breaking the whole thing. The Object Hit Points table provides suggested hit points for fragile and resilient objects that are Large or smaller.

Size. Fragile Resilient
Tiny (bottle) 2 (1d4) 5 (2d4)
Small (chest) 3 (1d6) 10 (3d6)
Medium (barrel) 4 (1d8) 18 (4d8)
Large (Cart) 5 (1d10) 27 (5d10)

The only info found in 5e rules that "touches" over the subject.
Hope that helps.

ThrorII

Post by ThrorII » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:43 am

The upcoming Rivendell Sourcebook will probably have a section on curses and removing curses from magical artefacts or legendary weapons and armour.

The TOR version did (as well as the rules for Legendary Weapons and Armour).

BookBarbarian

Post by BookBarbarian » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:12 pm

ThrorII wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:43 am
The upcoming Rivendell Sourcebook will probably have a section on curses and removing curses from magical artefacts or legendary weapons and armour.

The TOR version did (as well as the rules for Legendary Weapons and Armour).
I'm extremely excited for Rivendell.