Shadow Items

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
DragonOnTheWagon

Shadow Items

Post by DragonOnTheWagon » Tue May 02, 2017 2:27 pm

Apologies if this is covered somewhere and I've missed it.

If the characters come across an item tainted with shadow, how can it be destroyed? Do all dark artifacts have to be cast unto Mt Doom? ;)

Thanks

Otaku-sempai

Re: Shadow Items

Post by Otaku-sempai » Tue May 02, 2017 2:57 pm

I can't provide a comprehensive answer, but there should be a variety of ways to destroy or cleanse tainted or cursed items. Most of the Great Rings were at least vulnerable to dragon-fire, only the Master Ring was so powerful that it could only be destroyed in the Crack of Doom where it was forged.

To cleanse an object only slightly tainted by evil might be as simple as placing it in the waters of the Bruinen in Rivendell or allowing it to be blessed by such a personage as Galadriel, Círdan or Mithrandir. If you are a Loremaster, use your imagination, though it shouldn't usually be too easy.
Last edited by Otaku-sempai on Tue May 02, 2017 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

DragonOnTheWagon

Post by DragonOnTheWagon » Tue May 02, 2017 3:58 pm

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh I like the idea of a follow up session to get to the Bruinen!

Thanks for the ideas. Am new to this GM/Loremaster malarkey and am still trying to get the right way of thinking!

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Tue May 02, 2017 4:25 pm

There is probably some guidance for D&D 5e that you can use. At least some, and maybe most, tainted or cursed items should probably get a Saving Throw against attempts to cleanse or destroy them.

I don't have any of the 5e books, but remember that WotC has free downloads available for the SRD and the Basic Rules.

EDIT: Looking over those PDFs, I don't actually see anything covering the subject of cursed items.
Last edited by Otaku-sempai on Tue May 02, 2017 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

zedturtle

Post by zedturtle » Tue May 02, 2017 5:06 pm

One of the reasons that the Ruling Ring had to be cast into the fires of Mt Doom was that it had been forged there. In other words, the method of the destruction of the Ring was part of its backstory. So you might want to work up a backstory for your artefacts, which then might imply some way that they could be destroyed or rendered inert.
Jacob Rodgers, occasional nitwit.

This space intentionally blank.

Enevhar Aldarion

Post by Enevhar Aldarion » Tue May 02, 2017 6:24 pm

If you are trying to keep D&D-style magic out of your AiME game, then there won't be anything in the 5th Ed rules that will help. Personally, I would say that a race that has the power and ability to create magic items would also probably have secret methods or rituals to cleanse their items when they become tainted. So finding someone among the elves or dwarves to help would work if the item is normally powerful enough that you as LM feel that would be necessary.

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Tue May 02, 2017 8:04 pm

Zed and Enevhar have good suggestions. How an item became cursed might very well provide a clue as to how to nullify it or minimize its effect. After Tom Bombadil banished the Barrow-wight he removed the treasures from the barrow and left them in a pile for others to find "for so the spell of the mound should be broken and scattered and no Wight ever come back to it." Bilbo was generous with the gold and silver he brought home from Erebor and the dragon-sickness never took hold of him (laying aside his brief possession of the Arkenstone).

The Rivendell sourcebook for The One Ring has some great notes on pages 100 through 102 about cursed items and how to lift a curse.
Last edited by Otaku-sempai on Tue May 02, 2017 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DragonOnTheWagon

Post by DragonOnTheWagon » Tue May 02, 2017 8:33 pm

Thanks again guys.

I have taken one of the adventure seeds in the Loremasters Guide utilising some of Smaugs jewels dredged from the lake that have been set in jewellery and are causing dragon-sickness in the wearers. Like the idea of sending players west wards to cleans jewels somehow, plus it would get the players out to open sanctuaries hopefully.

BookBarbarian

Post by BookBarbarian » Wed May 03, 2017 5:26 pm

the first thing that came to my mind was the Barrow treasure from Fellowship of the Ring. Tom Bombadil has the Hobbits take the Westernesse blades, but leave everything else behind in the open.

I had a couple of thoughts about this:

It seems like the treasure was cursed except maybe if it had strong enchantments by the powers of good.

leaving the cursed treasure open to Nature could have potentially have a cleansing affect over time, but it might just be that letting barrow robbers get free cursed treasure is a net good to Tommy B.

Sorry there's no specific advice in my post. just random thoughts.

Beran

Post by Beran » Thu May 04, 2017 5:13 am

IIRC, in the books, Morgul Blades turned to dust if sunlight hit them.