Wilderland Adventures now available in PDF

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
Sloblock

Re: Wilderland Adventures now available in PDF

Post by Sloblock » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:24 pm

I haven't received any email notification for the PDF yet, I have checked my orders and it is listed there.

is it just a case of waiting?

thanks in advance

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:32 pm

Sloblock wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:24 pm
I haven't received any email notification for the PDF yet, I have checked my orders and it is listed there.

is it just a case of waiting?

thanks in advance
Check your spam box. The notification often gets caught there.
DR. MANHATTAN: I'm leaving this galaxy for one less complicated.
OZYMANDIAS: But you'd regained interest in human life...
DR. MANHATTAN: Yes, I have. I think perhaps I'll create some. Goodbye, Adrian.

Sloblock

Post by Sloblock » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:48 pm

Otaku-sempai wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:32 pm

Check your spam box. The notification often gets caught there.
Doh

thanks for this, yes it was hidden deep within there

thanks for your help

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:41 pm

Happy to be of service!

Michebugio

Post by Michebugio » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:14 pm

Otaku-sempai wrote:My impression is that the Thing in the Well is something that doesn't actually need to be fought. It is perfectly acceptable to withdraw from combat or leave it alone entirely. I believe that there is meant to be a lesson involved in choosing your battles.
A sharp and wise answer, as usual from you. ;)

I totally agree, the problem is that sometimes players are prone to metagame thinking, so they would say:"this is the end boss, we HAVE to take this thing down!". Et voilà, the TPK is served.
Of course and luckily, this rarely occurs.

Throrsgold

Re: Wilderland Adventures Now Available in PDF

Post by Throrsgold » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:28 pm

Michebugio wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:14 pm
I totally agree, the problem is that sometimes players are prone to metagame thinking, so they would say:"this is the end boss, we HAVE to take this thing down!". Et voilà, the TPK is served.
I caution my players from this mindset. Moreover, I inform them that I do NOT believe in the concept of "level appropriate" encounters. I run a campaign filled with friends and foes. I do not run a video game campaign. I create encounters that are easy to deadly (mostly somewhere in the middle). Sometimes the foes are too much for PCs to challenge. With appropriate discretion, these foes are readily discoverable AND avoidable.

As a rationale of my view, I point out two historical precedents to them...Lieutenant Colonel William Fetterman and his soldiers in a deadly ambush in 1866 (a TPK) and Lieutenant Colonel George Custer and much of his 7th Cavalry at the Battle of the Little Big Horn in 1876 (a mostly TPK). Things like a TPK can (and sometimes WILL) happen. I do not plan (or intend) for them to occur, but if the players insist on pushing their luck too far, a TPK could occur.

Fortunately, I haven't had a TPK in years.
President/Owner of Bardic Tales, Inc.

LotRO Contact Info
Server: Landroval
Kinship: Cuivet Pelin Annun
Character(s): Alcaril, Durinthror, Isenhewer, Lorehlei, Lintaluvatar, Necry, and Tyland

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:49 pm

Michebugio wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:14 pm
A sharp and wise answer, as usual from you. ;)
I merely remember the previous discussion of this potential adversary when the original Tales from Wilderland was released for TOR. However, I thank you for the compliment.

MrUkpyr

Post by MrUkpyr » Wed May 03, 2017 3:46 pm

FANTASTIC SET OF ADVENTURES!!!

I'm looking at dropping my group into one of them without them even knowing it is a set-piece adventure, just to see what they do.

Michebugio

Post by Michebugio » Mon May 08, 2017 12:50 pm

Just to get back on this subject:
otaku-sempai wrote:
Michebugio wrote:Only thing I've noticed is that, at the end of Don't Leave the Path, the Well in the Wood encounter is a bit too deadly if made at level 1, so you may want to tweak the stats of the creature (or make sure that the player characters are all at level 2) if you don't want a TPK...
My impression is that the Thing in the Well is something that doesn't actually need to be fought. It is perfectly acceptable to withdraw from combat or leave it alone entirely. I believe that there is meant to be a lesson involved in choosing your battles.
For my campaign I prepared another version of the Thing in the Well that's mainly inspired (and has almost the same abilities of) the Roper from D&D 5e Monsters Manual. Since the original Roper is a CR 5 monster, I had to scale it down a bit, so in the end these are the stats:

THE THING IN THE WELL
Large monstrosity (nameless thing)
Armor Class 13 (natural armour)
Hit Points 95 (10d10+40)
Speed 0 ft.
STR 17 (+3) DEX 8 (-1) CON 18 (+4) INT 7 (-2) WIS 16 (+3) CHA 6 (-2)
Condition Immunities Blinded, Prone
Skills Perception +5, Stealth +3
Senses blindsight 60 ft. (blind beyond this radius), passive Perception 16
Challenge 2 (450 XP)
False Appearance. While the Thing in the Well remains motionless, its tendrils are indistinguishable from normal ropy plant growths, like thick roots or the tangled stems of a creeper vine.
Grasping Tendrils. The Thing in the Well can have up to six tendrils at a time. Each tendril can be attacked (AC 13; 10 hit points; immunity to poison and psychic damage). Destroying a tendril deals no damage to the Thing in the Well, which can extrude a replacement tendril on its next turn as a bonus action. A tendril can also be broken if a creature takes an action and succeeds on a DC 13 Strength check against it.
ACTIONS
Multiattack. The Thing in the Well makes four attacks with its tendrils, uses Reel, and makes one attack with its bite.
Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 10 (2d6+3) piercing damage.
Tendril. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 50 ft., one creature. Hit: The target is grappled (escape DC 13). Until the grapple ends, the target is restrained and the Thing in the Well can't use the same tendril on another target.
Reel. The Thing in the Well pulls each creature grappled by it up to 15 feet straight toward it.
BONUS ACTIONS
Replacement Tendril. The Thing in the Well extrudes a tendril in place of a broken or destroyed one.

It's bigger and tougher than the original Thing, but it's slightly less dangerous since it can't actually damage anyone until they're close enough to be chewed (if a target starts 50 feet away from the well, it has 3 rounds to get free before getting chewed).
I thought that adding an enormous, eyeless, plant-like gnawing maw inside of the well (and describing it the round before a horrified player-character is dragged inside) was going to have a more dramatic effect... ;)

Risand

Post by Risand » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:45 am

Any news on when this will be available in physical version?
I am very much looking forward to running it and all though i have the pdf, nothing beats a freshly printed book 😉