What Classes are the Fellowship and Thorin & Co.?

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
ThrorII

Re: What Classes are the Fellowship and Thorin & Co.?

Post by ThrorII » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:08 am

Re: Boromir vs. Legolas.

Yes, Legolas is probably between 1000 and 2000 years old. BUT, there is no reason to believe that he was constantly in combat or constantly training. He might fight a battle with Orcs, have 50 years of peace, then fight another battle with spiders, then have 100 years of peace, etc.

Boromir was 41 at the time of the Fellowship. Gondor had been at war with Mordor, Easterlings, and Haradrim for most of his adult life (20 years?). I would hazard that Boromir had been fighting the forces of darkness for most of his adult life, continuously.

Given how Tolkien laid out that Elves might spend 100 years perfecting a skill or enjoying their gardens, there doesn't seem to be any rush to Elves learning or doing. Elves are not just immortal Men, they have a different outlook on life. It is perfectly reasonable in Tolkien's world that Legolas might only have a dozen or so years of actual battle experience in 1000 years, while Boromir spent his entire life continuously in battle.

Terisonen

Post by Terisonen » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:14 am

We're seen here the major problem (for me...) of D&D : Classes and Level. It fit well for adventurer... Not for the rest of world.
Nothing of Worth.

BookBarbarian

Post by BookBarbarian » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:12 pm

Terisonen wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:14 am
We're seen here the major problem (for me...) of D&D : Classes and Level. It fit well for adventurer... Not for the rest of world.
This used to bug me, I had to shift to a new paradigm: in D&d Heroes are special. They are different than the rest of the world. 5th edition went full tilt into this, and has completely separate rules for building PCs and NPCs. Later I got used to it. Eventually I started to like it. I love that a Player can take time to build a really special character, and I can also whip up an NPC in no time at all.

Majestic

Post by Majestic » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:46 pm

poosticks7 wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:59 am
They don't spend every moment of their considerable lives practicing marital skills.
Their marital skills and/or their martial skills. ;)
BookBarbarian wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:12 pm
Terisonen wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:14 am
This used to bug me, I had to shift to a new paradigm: in D&d Heroes are special. They are different than the rest of the world. 5th edition went full tilt into this, and has completely separate rules for building PCs and NPCs. Later I got used to it. Eventually I started to like it. I love that a Player can take time to build a really special character, and I can also whip up an NPC in no time at all.
I really like how much simpler NPCs are, and feel it's completely appropriate for a game where the heroes are special and powerful.
Adventure Summaries of our campaign, currently playing through The Darkening of Mirkwood

ThrorII

Post by ThrorII » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:12 pm

Oops!!

Well, to be fair, marital skills and martial skills can be interchanged in some relationships.... :lol:

broche

Post by broche » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:20 pm

When i did the exercise, I had something like this:

Sarouman,Gandalf, Elrond, Galadriel, Cirdan: Outside the reach of PC for their power is too great. You would need something like 3 to 4 level 20 PC to match one of those. Obviously Cirdan is less powerful cause he gave Narya to Gandalf
Celeborn and Thranduil: Mix of level 20 scholar/warden/warrior

Then i did the full stat for Aragorn Boromir Legolas and Gimli:

Character Race Class Background Str Dex Con Int Wis Cha
Aragorn Dunedain Scholar 3/Warrior 1/Wanderer 13 Fallen Scion 18 16 16 15 18 17

Boromir Men of minas tirith Warrior 9 Oathsworn 18 14 16 11 10 15
Legolas Wood elf Warrior 7 Emissary 13 18 14 15 13 14
Gimli Dwarf Warrior 7 Emissary 16 13 18 11 12 12

At the time of the war of the ring Aragorn is the strongest human warrior/swordsman.
Followed by Boromir/Eomer/Imrahil: level 9-11 warrior (depending on your interpretation)
Boern would also match one of those i guess.
Legolas and Gimli i would have them around 6-9 at the time of the book.

I would have the hobbits start at level 1-2 and finish a level 4-6 and respect the timing of the book
+1 from hobbiton to rivendell, +1 for rivendell lorien, +1 for lorien - henneth annun/treebeard room, +1 for whatever left until cormalen field, +1 at the end of scouring of the shire.

poosticks7

Post by poosticks7 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:45 am

Lol that is a funny typo.

JVV

Post by JVV » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:13 am

BookBarbarian wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:12 pm
This used to bug me, I had to shift to a new paradigm: in D&d Heroes are special.
That's not new, really. Most NPCs in 1E and 2E didn't have full out stats for most NPCs. There were some Dragon articles that gave some NPC classes here and there but very little in the rulebooks and most NPCs stats weren't that complicated. (Neither were most PCs for that matter.) Monsters didn't have stat blocks of comparable complexity to PCs either. 3E introduced complicated monster stat blocks on par with PCs and lots of rules for monster advancement. In 4E it was back to simplified stat blocks in most ways.

Dirk89stensrud

Post by Dirk89stensrud » Fri May 12, 2017 10:46 pm

So if Azog and Bolg are great orcs and they are a challenge rating 4, then can Thorin really be above 4th or 5th level? I know that's just the movies, but that was a thought I had while looking at the monsters.

zedturtle

Post by zedturtle » Fri May 12, 2017 11:07 pm

Dirk89stensrud wrote:
Fri May 12, 2017 10:46 pm
So if Azog and Bolg are great orcs and they are a challenge rating 4, then can Thorin really be above 4th or 5th level? I know that's just the movies, but that was a thought I had while looking at the monsters.
Remember that Challenge rating 4 means that a party of four 4th-level heroes should have an exciting fight against the foe. One on one might be a bit different. Plus they might have had some special abilities...

(Fair cop: I haven't seen the third movie, having been advised that it's best for my sanity not to watch it. So maybe my point above is irrelevant.)
Jacob Rodgers, occasional nitwit.

This space intentionally blank.