What Classes are the Fellowship and Thorin & Co.?

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
T.S. Luikart

Re: What Classes are the Fellowship and Thorin & Co.?

Post by T.S. Luikart » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:35 pm

Morgoth wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:37 am
Southron Loremaster wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:42 pm
I will refrain from getting into who is really telling the story, but the point was that IIRC Faramir says that Boromir is a better warrior, thus IF the narrator is correct Boromir is better than all the war bred Rohirrim.
This might be the case. It could also be that Faramir was saying nice things about his dead brother. But yeah, Boromir probably was a better warrior than his brother. That's what older brothers are for, right? lol
Faramir multiclassed, Boromir didn't. ;)
TS Luikart
Cubicle 7

zedturtle

Post by zedturtle » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:56 pm

T.S. Luikart wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:35 pm
Morgoth wrote:
Southron Loremaster wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:42 pm
I will refrain from getting into who is really telling the story, but the point was that IIRC Faramir says that Boromir is a better warrior, thus IF the narrator is correct Boromir is better than all the war bred Rohirrim.
This might be the case. It could also be that Faramir was saying nice things about his dead brother. But yeah, Boromir probably was a better warrior than his brother. That's what older brothers are for, right? lol
Faramir multiclassed, Boromir didn't. ;)
Indeed, Faramir was a wizard's pupil and paid for it (in the lack of extra attacks). ;)
Jacob Rodgers, occasional nitwit.

This space intentionally blank.

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:04 pm

Do you have any thoughts, TS, on the age of Legolas? Less than one thousand years old? Much more than that? As a prince of the Woodland Realm, I see Legolas as perhaps a fifteenth level Warden-Herald with the background Emissary of your People.

What about the status of Thranduil's Queen? Is she still living or long departed? And I notice that The Heart of the Wild (page 81) hints that Legolas has at least one brother and perhaps other siblings as well:
6. Elvenking's Apartments: Thranduil lives in these rooms when he is in the palace. When he is off hunting, he usually leaves one of his sons as seneschal.
I don't recall anyone having followed up on that.
DR. MANHATTAN: I'm leaving this galaxy for one less complicated.
OZYMANDIAS: But you'd regained interest in human life...
DR. MANHATTAN: Yes, I have. I think perhaps I'll create some. Goodbye, Adrian.

T.S. Luikart

Post by T.S. Luikart » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:34 pm

For a number of reasons, including the quotes you mentioned, Otaku-sempai - I put Legolas at around two thousand years old during the War of the Ring.

An oak tree will see "ruinous age" at around 600 years.

Galadriel, who lived in and remembers the First Age, notes to Legolas in her prophecy:

Legolas Greenleaf long under tree
In joy thou hast lived. Beware of the Sea!

When an Elf Galadriel's age notes to another Elf "long under tree in joy thou has lived" - I'm thinking yeah, couple thousand years old. ;)
TS Luikart
Cubicle 7

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:59 am

T.S. Luikart wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:34 pm
When an Elf Galadriel's age notes to another Elf "long under tree in joy thou has lived" - I'm thinking yeah, couple thousand years old. ;)
Thanks for responding! I'm good with the idea that the Lórien Elves might have lost contact with Thranduil's folk even before the Mirkwood Elves abandoned the southern part of the Forest. I see though that you are avoiding the subject of Legolas' extended family. ;)

ThrorII

Post by ThrorII » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:36 am

Otaku-sempai wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:24 am
'[Fangorn] is old, very old,' said the Elf. 'So old that almost I feel young again, as I have not felt since I journeyed with you children.' - The Two Towers, "The White Rider"

'Five hundred times have the red leaves fallen in Mirkwood in my home since [the feast-hall of Medulseld was built],' said Legolas, 'and but a little while does that seem to us.' - The Two Towers "The King of the Golden Hall"

'These are the strangest trees that ever I saw,' he said; 'and I have seen many an oak grow from acorn to ruinous age.' - The Two Towers, "The Road to Isengard"
Thanks for those quotes, I forgot those!!

Based on those, I'd agree he's closer to 2000 years old, rather than 600 or 1000.

My speculation was based on Tolkien's writings on Elves not having children in times of darkness, and Leggy not knowing the Lorien Elves. But, based on these quotes, we can say: A) he's much older than 500 years old; B) He's a factor of at least 2 or 3 older than 600 years old ('ruinous age' for an oak (meaning at least 1200 to 1800 years old).

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:16 am

ThrorII wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:36 am
By the way, how did we get the 600 year's is 'ruinous age' for an oak? I've done some searching, and it seems the 'average' age for an oak tree is 150 years, but many live up to 300 years, and a couple species seem to live for 800-1500 years.
I believe that the figure is derived from the typical natural life-span of the English Oak which is several hundred years. I've seen the estimate given as around 500 years.

Morgoth

Post by Morgoth » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:56 am

I just want to say folks, that I greatly appreciate this group. Not many places a guy can go to talk about the age of an elf by linking snippets of conversation to the average age of specific species of trees.

You guys are my kind of nerds. :lol: :P :D
I smashed down the light and dared Valinor
I smashed down the light, revenge will be mine

Southron

Post by Southron » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:43 am

Morgoth wrote:

I've been enjoying our debate, but I understand that most people are not like me and do not savor a good argument. I hope I didn't offend you in any way. Anyway, happy gaming to you as well!
No good sir. You have not offended me at all. The truth of the matter is the argumentative fires of my youth were quelled LONG ago. In the rare moments I do come out to engage, after a few rounds, I'm like pfft and retire from the field.

ThrorII

Post by ThrorII » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:25 pm

Morgoth wrote:

I've been enjoying our debate, but I understand that most people are not like me and do not savor a good argument. I hope I didn't offend you in any way. Anyway, happy gaming to you as well!
Not offended at all! You are not 'argumentative', you debate issues using facts and logic. THAT is fun.

I've enjoyed this thread and actually was reminded of things I'd forgotten.