What Classes are the Fellowship and Thorin & Co.?

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
Mykesfree

What Classes are the Fellowship and Thorin & Co.?

Post by Mykesfree » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:02 pm

I don't think I have seen this thread yet, so I figured I would start it. Now that we have a both the Player's Guide and LMG for AiMe, it would be neat to see what people think what Classes characters from the novels are.

For the most part, I think the Novel's characters are multi-classed.

For Bilbo by the end of the Hobbit, I came up with this:

Bilbo
Background: Reluctant Adventurer, Treasure Hunter 4 (Agent), Warden 3 (Counsellor).

I would love to see what others think.

Soninlawofelfland

Re: What Classes are the Fellowship and Thorin & Co.?

Post by Soninlawofelfland » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:26 pm

He didn't get much shadow from purloining the Arkenstone, so I see him more as burglar/counselor.

Mykesfree

Post by Mykesfree » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:03 pm

Yes, I think you are right about the burglar. Many of the Agent like things by the Battle of the 5 Armies, could also be explained by the Counselor features.

ThrorII

Post by ThrorII » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:06 pm

Funny, I'm actually in the process of drawing up the Fellowship using AiMe. Now, some will say "you can't stat Gandalf, he was a maia, and the rules don't cover that". That isn't my point. I'm trying to see if you could recreate the Fellowship using AiMe.

I've looked at all the classes, and tried to see what abilities were inspired by a Fellowship member, and what abilities they 'had' to have, while keeping them in the framework that no man is above level 16 (I see the powers and abilities of most classes at 17+ as being in the realm of great elf lords or wizards).

Here is my initial take on the Fellowship as they left Rivendell. Now, I've only actually stated out and finished Gandalf, Aragorn, and Boromir. I'm completely shooting from the hip on all 4 Hobbits.

Gandalf - Scholar (Master Scholar) 19
Aragorn - Wanderer (Hunter of Shadows) 13/Scholar (Master Healer) 3
Boromir - Warrior (Knight) 15
Legolas - Warrior (Weaponmaster) 12
Gimli - Warrior (Weaponmaster) 10
Frodo - Scholar 1/Warden (Councillor) 2
Sam - Warden (Bounder) 3
Merry - Warden (Herald) 3
Pippin - Warden (Herald) 3

I consider the Hobbits such low levels, thinking that they started at lvl 1 when the traveled from Bag End to Tom Bombadil's house. Were level 2 from Tom's house to Rivendell, and left Rivendell on the Fellowship at 3rd level. You could argue they gained level 3 at Bree, then became 4th upon leaving Rivendell.

Morgoth

Post by Morgoth » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:51 am

I would definitely put Legolas and Gimli at a higher level than Boromir. It also depends when we're talking about. I'm sure the whole party leveled up many times throughout their adventures. Also, it's hard to fit the characters in a level, because rpgs are not usually very realistic. By one meter, Aragorn might be a 25th level character. By another, he might only be a 5th level character. But with that in mind, if I were stating up the Fellowship during the Council of Elrond, I'd go with this:

Gandalf Scholar (Master Scholar) 20 + 5 epic boons
Aragorn Wanderer (Hunter of Shadows) 15, Scholar (Master Healer) 3
Boromir - Slayer (Foe Hammer) 13
Legolas - Warrior (Weaponmaster) 16
Gimli - Warrior (Weaponmaster) 14
Frodo - Warden 1, Treasure Hunter 1 (later taking the Councilor and Agent subclasses)
Sam - Warden 2 (later taking the Bounder subclass)
Merry - Warrior 2 (later taking taking the Knight subclass)
Pippin - Warrior 2 (later taking taking the Knight subclass)

As far as the the party for the Hobbit goes:

I smashed down the light and dared Valinor
I smashed down the light, revenge will be mine

Beran

Post by Beran » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:51 am

My only concern with the above is that you can't make Gandalf with the current rules as he isn't even a mortal. Gandalf is one of those NPCs that can do whatever is needed dictated by the story. There is no balancing an Istari.

Soninlawofelfland

Post by Soninlawofelfland » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:05 pm

You can get a very passable Gandalf if you simply assume the Maia receive access to all cultural virtues.

Mykesfree

Post by Mykesfree » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:27 pm

I guess I should take my stab at the Hobbits since I started it.

From the Shire to Rivendell
Frodo for me is much more experienced than the rest of the Hobbits.
Frodo - Fallen Scion (More like just a Nobel) Wanderer 1, Treasure Hunter 2
Sam - Loyal Servant, Warden 2
Merry - Lure of the Road, Warrior 2
Pippin - Lure of the Road, warrior 2

By The Scouring of the Shire
Frodo - Fallen Scion (More like just a Nobel) Wanderer 1, Treasure Hunter 10 (Agent)
Sam - Loyal Servant, Warden 10 (Herald)
Merry - Lure of the Road, Warrior 10 (Knight)
Pippin - Lure of the Road, Warrior 10 (Knight)

Beran

Post by Beran » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:37 pm

Soninlawofelfland wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:05 pm
You can get a very passable Gandalf if you simply assume the Maia receive access to all cultural virtues.
Right, like I said "give him what he needs for his part in the story."

Southron Loremaster

Post by Southron Loremaster » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:19 am

Morgoth wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:51 am
I would definitely put Legolas and Gimli at a higher level than Boromir.

Speaking solely from the books. In Boromir's favor, Appendix A calls him "Captain of the White Tower", while Faramir called him "High Warden of the White Tower" and "our Captain-General". The Rohirrim a culture of warriors even praised him as a great warrior.

Also, in the books only Eomer, Imrahil, Aragorn returned from the Battle of the Pelennor Fields unscathed. There is a comment by Eowyn that no man of the Mark would be able to best Faramir, who in turn thought the Boromir was the better warrior between the two of them. So, that would place him above Eomer, who was below Faramir, who was below Boromir. I think that puts him as one of the best warrior's alive save maybe Aragorn and Imrahil.

No knock against Legolas or Gimli, a great archer and axe-wielder respectively, but when the Balrog came Boromir didn't show the fear those two did. As a possible 15th level knight maybe his Famed Protector ability may have kicked in then. ;)