The Road Goes Ever On

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
User avatar
cuthalion
Posts: 192
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:36 am

Re: The Road Goes Ever On

Post by cuthalion » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:26 pm

Jon, This looks like a great supplement. A little jelly of some rulesets in here that didn't appear in TOR's Journeys & Maps. Is there a chance we will see the rules for avoiding battle, for instance, in TOR sometime?

Well done on another release and such continuing success in both lines.

User avatar
Jon Hodgson
Posts: 1232
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:53 am
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Re: The Road Goes Ever On

Post by Jon Hodgson » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:43 am

Since TOR doesn't award XP for fighting in the way 5e (optionally) does, nor uses the same journey system, I'm not sure how would that work.

In the few place the rules can be converted for TOR, they will appear in future TOR material. But there isn't actually all that much that is relevant to convert, and thus not really much to be jealous of.

The NPC generator is the biggest slice of stuff you could use in TOR - although again, TOR doesn't have the mechanical need that AME has for that material. And it will appear somewhere in TOR in the future. (We probably know where, but it's not yet confirmed officially at every level, so I'm staying characteristically tight-lipped)

As we've seen to date, we've sliced up the TOR material slightly differently for AME, so for example Lake-town material appeared in the AME Loremaster's Guide, so Eaves replaced that in the AME LM's screen.

Adventures in Middle-earth hasn't yet seen The Marsh Bell nor will ever get Words of the Wise. TOR might get some conversion notes for Eaves, but there's not much for TOR in that scenario.

TOR material on Radagast and Beorn was not in the LMG, but appeared instead in the Rhovanion Region Guide. So there's plenty of stuff that's moving around, appearing in a different order in each line.

The important thing is we're not trying to cheat anyone out of material. We're just trying to make the best supplements for each line, as their rules require.
Jon Hodgson
Creative Director, Cubicle 7
Like us on Facebook!

Otaku-sempai
Posts: 2827
Joined: Sun May 12, 2013 2:45 am
Location: Lackawanna, NY

Re: The Road Goes Ever On

Post by Otaku-sempai » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:26 am

Thanks, Jon. I guess along those lines the Boats and Ships material from Journeys & Maps could, for AiMe, be included in a region guide for Gondor or one that covers the Grey Havens. Or maybe in the AiMe equivalent of the Adventurer's Companion.
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

User avatar
cuthalion
Posts: 192
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:36 am

Re: The Road Goes Ever On

Post by cuthalion » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:39 am

Jon Hodgson wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:43 am
Since TOR doesn't award XP for fighting in the way 5e (optionally) does, nor uses the same journey system, I'm not sure how would that work.

In the few place the rules can be converted for TOR, they will appear in future TOR material. But there isn't actually all that much that is relevant to convert, and thus not really much to be jealous of.

The NPC generator is the biggest slice of stuff you could use in TOR - although again, TOR doesn't have the mechanical need that AME has for that material. And it will appear somewhere in TOR in the future. (We probably know where, but it's not yet confirmed officially at every level, so I'm staying characteristically tight-lipped)

As we've seen to date, we've sliced up the TOR material slightly differently for AME, so for example Lake-town material appeared in the AME Loremaster's Guide, so Eaves replaced that in the AME LM's screen.

Adventures in Middle-earth hasn't yet seen The Marsh Bell nor will ever get Words of the Wise. TOR might get some conversion notes for Eaves, but there's not much for TOR in that scenario.

TOR material on Radagast and Beorn was not in the LMG, but appeared instead in the Rhovanion Region Guide. So there's plenty of stuff that's moving around, appearing in a different order in each line.

The important thing is we're not trying to cheat anyone out of material. We're just trying to make the best supplements for each line, as their rules require.
Got it. Thanks for the reply!

I guess that's what you get for trying to glean from the TOC! Still, the emphasis on avoiding fights sounds great--great that you are motivating this in AiME mechanically, but also it just seems very in line with Tolkien. IIRC, I haven't seen any rulesets in TOR about scouting out the enemy/avoiding them/hiding etc., so I just thought these sounded cool and very thematic.

And don't worry--I wasn't feeling cheated. Just curious. I think I meant to sound more lighthearted than I came off. Many thanks again!

Kenomica
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:58 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: The Road Goes Ever On

Post by Kenomica » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:06 am

Ordered my copy yesterday (and I received the PDF version instantly, despite it being 1am on a Saturaday! So, that was a surprise, thanks!)

Reading through I noticed a slight mistake with "Events Expanded" section, it states "For Herbs see page 154 of the Loremaster’s Guide." - but I'm pretty sure it should be the Player's Guide...since the herbs section in the Loremaster's guide is on page 139, and says "See page 154 of the Player’s Guide for details of Athelas, Hagweed, Kingcup, Reedmace, Shadow-thorn and Water-lily." :lol:

Absolutely loving the book so far though.

User avatar
Jon Hodgson
Posts: 1232
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:53 am
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Re: The Road Goes Ever On

Post by Jon Hodgson » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:40 am

Kenomica wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:06 am
Ordered my copy yesterday (and I received the PDF version instantly, despite it being 1am on a Saturaday! So, that was a surprise, thanks!)

Reading through I noticed a slight mistake with "Events Expanded" section, it states "For Herbs see page 154 of the Loremaster’s Guide." - but I'm pretty sure it should be the Player's Guide...since the herbs section in the Loremaster's guide is on page 139, and says "See page 154 of the Player’s Guide for details of Athelas, Hagweed, Kingcup, Reedmace, Shadow-thorn and Water-lily." :lol:

Absolutely loving the book so far though.
Good catch, and thanks! We'll get that updated shortly.
Jon Hodgson
Creative Director, Cubicle 7
Like us on Facebook!

Kenomica
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:58 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: The Road Goes Ever On

Post by Kenomica » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:08 pm

Jon Hodgson wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:40 am
Good catch, and thanks! We'll get that updated shortly.
No problem! Happy to help.

Would it be possible to get the campfire maps, without the text, added as jpegs? Like you did for the Eaves of Mirkwood book.

Arma virumque
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:12 am

Re: The Road Goes Ever On

Post by Arma virumque » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:49 am

Maybe I've missed this somewhere, but I can't seem to find it. Do we know the size of the printed maps that come with the physical version of The Road Goes Ever On?

Otaku-sempai
Posts: 2827
Joined: Sun May 12, 2013 2:45 am
Location: Lackawanna, NY

Re: The Road Goes Ever On

Post by Otaku-sempai » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:13 am

Arma virumque wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:49 am
Maybe I've missed this somewhere, but I can't seem to find it. Do we know the size of the printed maps that come with the physical version of The Road Goes Ever On?
I believe that the large-format, double-sided maps are supposed to measure 17 inches by 22 inches, identical to the ones in Journeys & Maps for TOR.
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests