The D&D Edit Dark Ages Weapons and Armour

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
NozzDogg47

Re: The D&D Edit Dark Ages Weapons and Armour

Post by NozzDogg47 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:23 pm

Otaku-sempai wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:12 pm
Yeah, I've developed the same impression concerning bastard swords: they were more often used using two hands than one. If you are already wearing heavy armor then why forego the added power by using a shield? Not to mention the fatigue that would quickly set in by wielding a large sword one-handed. Aragorn's hand-and-a-half 'Ranger sword' is probably as close as the films get to a two-handed great sword--a rare example of Peter Jackson showing some restraint.

What's funny is that before the rise of D&D 3e and its successors I never thought of a long sword as anything other than a one-handed weapon, distinct from a hand-and-a-half (bastard) sword.
I honestly don't see the point in including d8/d10 versatile weapons at all. No-one uses them as versatile weapons, so what's the point?

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:39 pm

NozzDogg47 wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:23 pm
I honestly don't see the point in including d8/d10 versatile weapons. No-one uses them as versatile weapons, so what's the point?
I wouldn't say 'no one'. I've had characters who would carry such weapons and use them one way or the other, depending on whether they also wanted to use a shield. It's easier to think that way on paper, when you don't have the considerations of the real world.

NozzDogg47

Post by NozzDogg47 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:58 pm

Otaku-sempai wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:39 pm
NozzDogg47 wrote:
I honestly don't see the point in including d8/d10 versatile weapons. No-one uses them as versatile weapons, so what's the point?
I wouldn't say 'no one'. I've had characters who would carry such weapons and use them one way or the other, depending on whether they also wanted to use a shield. It's easier to think that way on paper, when you don't have the considerations of the real world.
In my experience I've seen a player two hand a longsword maybe 4 times in a 6 month campaign and eventually decided it was better to just keep holding onto the shield, so I just don't see the point. Add in the fact I get hung up on details like this and I just end up throwing Versatile weapons out the window. The only one I still have in my list is the spear, since you really can see that used one or two handed.

atgxtg

Post by atgxtg » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:46 am

Otaku-sempai wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:12 pm
Yeah, I've developed the same impression concerning bastard swords: they were more often used using two hands than one. If you are already wearing heavy armor then why forego the added power by using a shield?
I think you've hit the nail on the head when you mentioned the heavy armor. That really the point of the hand &a half sword. It wasn't wielded because "it did more damage" but to help get through the heavier armor. But with the way armor works in D&D (armor class) you don't see that aspect of it. If 2H weapons got a bonus to get through AC it would be a bit more accurate, and make "versatile" more useful.

NozzDogg47

Post by NozzDogg47 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:40 am

atgxtg wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:46 am

I think you've hit the nail on the head when you mentioned the heavy armor. That really the point of the hand &a half sword. It wasn't wielded because "it did more damage" but to help get through the heavier armor. But with the way armor works in D&D (armor class) you don't see that aspect of it. If 2H weapons got a bonus to get through AC it would be a bit more accurate, and make "versatile" more useful.
One thing two handed swords really help with is grappling. Its this amazing lever that let's you do all kinds of crazy grapples, disarms and wrestling moves.

Glorelendil

Post by Glorelendil » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:00 pm

NozzDogg47 wrote:
I honestly don't see the point in including d8/d10 versatile weapons at all. No-one uses them as versatile weapons, so what's the point?
I do.
The Munchkin Formerly Known as Elfcrusher
Journey Computer | Combat Simulator | Bestiary | Weapon Calculator

NozzDogg47

Post by NozzDogg47 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:38 am

Glorelendil wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:00 pm
NozzDogg47 wrote:
I do.
Yeah, I realise that was a gross generalisation based on my particular game group and its culture. I still have issues with them, because it goes against the reasons you use such a weapon, but that's basically just me.

zedturtle

Post by zedturtle » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:31 am

NozzDogg47 wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:38 am
Glorelendil wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:00 pm
NozzDogg47 wrote:
I do.
Yeah, I realise that was a gross generalisation based on my particular game group and its culture. I still have issues with them, because it goes against the reasons you use such a weapon, but that's basically just me.
With things like 'Splintered Spears & Shattered Shields' and 'Shield Smasher', I think that versatile weapons might sometimes be a better choice than it might first appear.
Jacob Rodgers, occasional nitwit.

This space intentionally blank.

NozzDogg47

Post by NozzDogg47 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:38 am

zedturtle wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:31 am

With things like 'Splintered Spears & Shattered Shields' and 'Shield Smasher', I think that versatile weapons might sometimes be a better choice than it might first appear.
Yeah, but to me that's more of a gameplay decision than anything else. I'd be more inclined to make all one handed weapons versatile in that case.

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:01 am

NozzDogg47 wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:38 am
zedturtle wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:31 am

Yeah, but to me that's more of a gameplay decision than anything else. I'd be more inclined to make all one handed weapons versatile in that case.
You could, but for my mind that goes too far in the other direction of ignoring reality and practicality. Small to medium-sized melee weapons tend not to be designed to be used in such a manner.