The new adventure supplement

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
MasterSmithwise

The new adventure supplement

Post by MasterSmithwise » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:41 pm

This is more opinion and a cue for discussion than a complaint. I don't personally like that we're getting a full priced product for converted, previously released material.

With just a little bit of work I was able to easily convert some of the adventures in the Tales of Wilderland book for AiME and it worked great. I would personally have preferred we get new material, or a set of guidelines for converting the material ourselves.

I understand that there are business decisions behind this, and that this gets us some adventures faster I suppose. But it also isn't giving those of us (which are a lot) that already own TOR supplements such as Tales of Wilderland anything new.

I can't help but wonder if Darkening of Mirkwood will be next. It's more of a vague collection of linked plot hooks, but there are stat blocks and suggested rolls here and there and could technically get converted. Again sure, this material is already playtested and balance and, well, written.... but that means that most of us that already own these supplements won't get fresh material for a long time.

Thoughts?
[Outdated] Exhaustive Undertakings List: https://goo.gl/wYP84K

Otaku-sempai

Re: The new adventure supplement

Post by Otaku-sempai » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:23 pm

I'm taking a wait-and-see attitude about Wilderland Adventures, though I don't see this as a purchase for myself.
Last edited by Otaku-sempai on Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:08 pm, edited 6 times in total.
DR. MANHATTAN: I'm leaving this galaxy for one less complicated.
OZYMANDIAS: But you'd regained interest in human life...
DR. MANHATTAN: Yes, I have. I think perhaps I'll create some. Goodbye, Adrian.

zedturtle

Post by zedturtle » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:26 pm

Otaku-sempai wrote:I have a wait-and-see attitude about the adventure book. However, I think it would have been better to voice your concern in this previously existing thread.
While I understand the desire for organization, let's be sure to have folks know that they can ask whatever questions they like, wherever they like, as long as they're respectful to other users and (most importantly) to our gracious hosts.
Jacob Rodgers, occasional nitwit.

This space intentionally blank.

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:53 pm

zedturtle wrote:While I understand the desire for organization, let's be sure to have folks know that they can ask whatever questions they like, wherever they like, as long as they're respectful to other users and (most importantly) to our gracious hosts.
Understood, though I don't think I was being rude. Even so, I will try to refrain from editorializing without good reason.
Last edited by Otaku-sempai on Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DR. MANHATTAN: I'm leaving this galaxy for one less complicated.
OZYMANDIAS: But you'd regained interest in human life...
DR. MANHATTAN: Yes, I have. I think perhaps I'll create some. Goodbye, Adrian.

Hermes Serpent

Post by Hermes Serpent » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:27 am

TBH I would think that the licence may have something to do with this. C7 have to have anything they put out for Middle-earth approved by Saul Zaentz Enterprises and presumably pay heavily for that privilege. In order to fund that approval they have to charge appropriately for material they produce and a simple explanation of how to change one book to match a different system may not get the approval C7 needs. If they don't have approval, and thus cannot put the M-e E logo on the book, and publish anyway they may break the terms of their licence and we all know what happened to ICE when they produced unauthorised material.
Some TOR Information on my G+ Drive.
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing
"The One Ring's not a computer game, dictated by stats and inflexible rules, it's a story telling game." - Clawless Dragon

Beran

Post by Beran » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:34 pm

I think we will be looking at a pretty much point-for-point duplication of material between TOR and AiME. If for nothing else the existing material for TOR would have already been put through the vetting process. Anything new will have to be approved by the entities in charge of the IP, which costs money and time.

Majestic

Post by Majestic » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:31 pm

I think it only makes sense to remake that existing material. Not only does it (as the OP already pointed out) have excellently written material, but art has been done for it, it's already been extensively playtested (not only in-house, but by the gaming community), and it's gone through the approval process.

Besides, just seeing how they've converted stuff should be an immense help for LMs to then extrapolate and then do their own work. One complaint so far was that the Bestiary wasn't extensive enough; well now we will have more creatures to compare and contrast with, giving LMs all the tools they would ever need to convert anything they want (any already existing 5e monster, for instance).
Adventure Summaries of our campaign, currently playing through The Darkening of Mirkwood

Jon Hodgson

Post by Jon Hodgson » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:25 pm

Hopefully no one is surprised by this, since it's been our stated intention since we first put out our FAQ last year. The first round of releases for AME will be converted One Ring supplements. Which isn't to say you have to like it - just to make it clear this isn't a new thing.

Currently AME sells about ten times the numbers of TOR - which was previously our best selling title. So there's a big ole audience out there who will really enjoy those Tales from Wilderland/Wilderland Adventures scenarios without having to do any work.

It would also be hugely unfair to our loyal TOR fans, who got us where we are today, to deliberately start releasing new material for 5e that they don't have access to. There will of course be some minor differences in the material released, in order to be a good fit for each line, but broadly speaking they are sister games who will share most of their material.

TOR fans will get to enjoy the newer material like Bree and Oaths of the Riddermark way sooner, which should be some consolation.

And if you're able to make an easy conversion between the lines, then rejoice! You're smarter than the average bear and get the best of both worlds!
Jon Hodgson
Creative Director, Cubicle 7
Like us on Facebook!

frodolives

Post by frodolives » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:33 pm

Jon Hodgson wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:25 pm
Hopefully no one is surprised by this, since it's been our stated intention since we first put out our FAQ last year. The first round of releases for AME will be converted One Ring supplements. Which isn't to say you have to like it - just to make it clear this isn't a new thing.

Currently AME sells about ten times the numbers of TOR - which was previously our best selling title. So there's a big ole audience out there who will really enjoy those Tales from Wilderland/Wilderland Adventures scenarios without having to do any work.

It would also be hugely unfair to our loyal TOR fans, who got us where we are today, to deliberately start releasing new material for 5e that they don't have access to. There will of course be some minor differences in the material released, in order to be a good fit for each line, but broadly speaking they are sister games who will share most of their material.

TOR fans will get to enjoy the newer material like Bree and Oaths of the Riddermark way sooner, which should be some consolation.

And if you're able to make an easy conversion between the lines, then rejoice! You're smarter than the average bear and get the best of both worlds!
Given that the AiME supplements (for a while anyway) don't have to be written from scratch, does that mean they will be released at a faster pace than those of TOR? AT least until AiME "catches up" with TOR?

Jon Hodgson

Post by Jon Hodgson » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:00 pm

I bloomin' well hope so!
Jon Hodgson
Creative Director, Cubicle 7
Like us on Facebook!