Swashbucklers in AiME.

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
NozzDogg47

Swashbucklers in AiME.

Post by NozzDogg47 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:28 am

Hey all, it's the guy using AiME to run a homebrew low fantasy campaign again.

One of the things I love about 5e is how modular it is and something I know a lot of people really like is the Swashbuckler archetype for the Rogue or Treasure Hunter. Still, I think it's always better to check before you just start throwing new stuff in, so I was wondering what others think about Swashbucklers and how they might affect the feel of the game.

What are your thoughts? Any balance concerns or issues?

Otaku-sempai

Re: Swashbucklers in AiME.

Post by Otaku-sempai » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:30 am

Swashbucklers might make the game start to feel more like Fritz Leiber's Nehwon than Tolkien's Middle-earth, but you might be okay with that.
Last edited by Otaku-sempai on Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DR. MANHATTAN: I'm leaving this galaxy for one less complicated.
OZYMANDIAS: But you'd regained interest in human life...
DR. MANHATTAN: Yes, I have. I think perhaps I'll create some. Goodbye, Adrian.

NozzDogg47

Post by NozzDogg47 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:31 am

Considering I really like Nehwon and I'm not running Middle Earth anyway, I count that as a win.

My setting features all the PCs (of every Chracter Class) as knights sent on a quest into a fallen empire and I really like how directly a swashbuckler can confront foes.

Terisonen

Post by Terisonen » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:21 am

Swashbucklers is more fit to a renaissance world or a world with gun&gunpowder readily available.
Nothing of Worth.

NozzDogg47

Post by NozzDogg47 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:31 am

Terisonen wrote:Swashbucklers is more fit to a renaissance world or a world with gun&gunpowder readily available.
That's not actually how the 5e Swashbuckler works, although it does fulfill a little of that style. Swashbucklers are two weapon fighting melee rogues who can move through combat avoiding opportunity attacks, challenge opponents to single combat and gank lone enemies. They do have a lot of flair and benefit from Charisma, but that's it.

Swashbucklers don't even benefit from ranged weapons, since their ability to avoid opportunity attacks relies on them attacking enemies with melee attacks.

Legolas would easily fit as a swashbuckler when he's using two knives rather than a bow in the Fellowship of the Rings if you want an idea of how they work.

Terisonen

Post by Terisonen » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:15 pm

It's ok if you want to have a movie fighting style in your scenarii. And there's nothing wrong with that :) We are here to enjoy playing, whatever the style.
Nothing of Worth.

BookBarbarian

Post by BookBarbarian » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:19 pm

So if you're not setting the campaign in Middle Earth, is you're question more along the lines of "Is swashbuckler going to overshadow the existing Treasure Hunter subclasses?

NozzDogg47

Post by NozzDogg47 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:15 pm

BookBarbarian wrote:So if you're not setting the campaign in Middle Earth, is you're question more along the lines of "Is swashbuckler going to overshadow the existing Treasure Hunter subclasses?
Basically. I'm likely going to drop or heavily modify Burglar as a subclass, since the players are all meant to be knights and although treasure is a huge motivator, it doesn't necessarily fit in with the style of campaign I'm running. I'm fine with non-combat focused archetypes and I think they're real strengths of AiME, but swashbucklers are really, really good. However, maybe having one more combat focused option isn't so much of a problem.

There is the other concern that Swashbuckler rogues could overshadow other classes as well. I'm using Morgoth's modified scholar, so that's less of an issue, but it's still best to check.

BookBarbarian

Post by BookBarbarian » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:56 pm

NozzDogg47 wrote:
BookBarbarian wrote:So if you're not setting the campaign in Middle Earth, is you're question more along the lines of "Is swashbuckler going to overshadow the existing Treasure Hunter subclasses?
Basically. I'm likely going to drop or heavily modify Burglar as a subclass, since the players are all meant to be knights and although treasure is a huge motivator, it doesn't necessarily fit in with the style of campaign I'm running. I'm fine with non-combat focused archetypes and I think they're real strengths of AiME, but swashbucklers are really, really good. However, maybe having one more combat focused option isn't so much of a problem.

There is the other concern that Swashbuckler rogues could overshadow other classes as well. I'm using Morgoth's modified scholar, so that's less of an issue, but it's still best to check.
Yeah, I think one of AiME's biggest strengths is it's enhancement of the non-combat pillars of the Game through Journeys and Audiences. Wanderers are the kings of Journeys, and Wardens are the kings of Audiences so no worries overshadowing there.

Scholar's effectiveness will be dependent on how well you as the LM feed information to them (unless they are a Master Healer, which will quickly make them the very popular among the rest of the party, those guys can pump out the healing).

I think Swashbuckler should be fine compared to Weapon Master Warriors, and Foehammer Slayers in combat and maybe even a little more useful out of combat. I have some reservations about the Knight and the Rider, but it sounds like those two will fit very thematically into the campaign you are running.

Overall, I think you'll be fine.

NozzDogg47

Post by NozzDogg47 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:46 pm

The scholar issue was more that people hated how he was brilliant outside of combat and fairly useless inside of combat. My groups also hate healbots with the passion of a thousand suns. Part of the reason I went with Morgoth's rebuild.