AiME Character Sheet

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
Antariuk

AiME Character Sheet

Post by Antariuk » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:06 pm

Hey guys,
EDIT: Since my way of introducing myself here has been criticized, I want to say that I didn't meant to be rude or attacking someone on a personal level. I said that the official AiME character sheet was "a huge disappointment.", which implies this to be an objective fact when it is of course my personal, private opinion only. For that, I'm sorry. I still believe the official AiME character sheet lacks, compared to the beauty the supplements themselves, but I'll try and keep that to myself from now on.
New user here, and I decided why not start posting in a productive way. As much as I like Adventures in Middle-earth, I think the official character sheet is a huge disappointment. Others might disagree, of course, and I don't want to bash on the authors or anything. What I'd like to do is show you a WIP version of my own, custom sheet.

I am still very much in the process of moving parts around and testing usability, but this is what I have so far. I blatantly stole design elements from the TOR character sheet and tried to get a little closer to that design. Print size is A4 at the moment, maybe I'll do Letter size later on.

Final Versions
PDF: 3 pages, printer-friendly B/W
PDF: 5 pages, full color (2 extra pages for notes)

Comments and criticism of any kind are appreciated! ;)
Last edited by Antariuk on Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:46 pm, edited 9 times in total.
"No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style." - Steven Brust

Glorelendil

Re: AiME Character Sheet

Post by Glorelendil » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:41 pm

Antariuk wrote:I think the official character sheet is a huge disappointment. Others might disagree, of course, and I don't want to bash on the authors or anything.
Then perhaps, "Not that there's anything wrong with the official character sheet, but I enjoy making my own" would have been a more diplomatic approach.
The Munchkin Formerly Known as Elfcrusher
Journey Computer | Combat Simulator | Bestiary | Weapon Calculator

Antariuk

Post by Antariuk » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:49 pm

So I should lie then, rather than being straightforward and honest? Gee, thanks for the warm welcome :shock:
"No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style." - Steven Brust

Soninlawofelfland

Post by Soninlawofelfland » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:09 pm

Actually my players agree. I have no problem with the official printer friendly version, but I do like yours too. However, there are things both sheets don't do and should: notably the journey embarkation roll modifier. It's an odd calculation and should be on there. I prefer your putting misery and corruption stuff together; I think there needs to be a place to put the madness one has accrued. Also, on the back: a list of sanctuaries and patrons would be nice (patrons is there on the official one I think).

Glorelendil

Post by Glorelendil » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:18 pm

Antariuk wrote:So I should lie then, rather than being straightforward and honest? Gee, thanks for the warm welcome :shock:
Ok then just leave out any mention of the official one.

Gratuitously insulting the work of your hosts is an interesting way to introduce yourself.
The Munchkin Formerly Known as Elfcrusher
Journey Computer | Combat Simulator | Bestiary | Weapon Calculator

Antariuk

Post by Antariuk » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:45 pm

Soninlawofelfland wrote:However, there are things both sheets don't do and should: notably the journey embarkation roll modifier. It's an odd calculation and should be on there.
Absolutely! I have in fact experimented with journey rolls, but right now I think it's probably best to do a "journey sheet" with fields for all journey rolls and enough space for each event (up to 5-6 events maybe per page). But that's just an idea for now.
Soninlawofelfland wrote:Also, on the back: a list of sanctuaries and patrons would be nice (patrons is there on the official one I think).
Yeah, I'm working in that. Sanctuaries in particular are something I really want to feature on the sheet!

Koniu

Post by Koniu » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:52 pm

It's amazing character sheet. Thanks a lot!

Antariuk

Post by Antariuk » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:55 pm

New version is up, see first post.

I've fiddled with the first page, and added a rough draft of the second page. Stuff like Journey Rolls is still to come.

Soninlawofelfland

Post by Soninlawofelfland » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:32 pm

First, I didn't think your critique of the original sheet rude—it is clearly just a quick update of the 5e sheet and I'm okay with C7 putting their energy into more important things, but it is just sort of flung together. I really like the coin circles on the back of your sheet. I STILL think the embarkation calculation should be on the front sheet (maybe near movement), even if your PC is not the regular guide it's probably wise to have it. Also, I'd like a printer friendly black and white version.

Antariuk

Post by Antariuk » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:42 pm

Thanks!
Soninlawofelfland wrote: I STILL think the embarkation calculation should be on the front sheet (maybe near movement), even if your PC is not the regular guide it's probably wise to have it.
This makes me curious: why on the 1st page? Because of the check modifiers inflicted by certain results? The benefit from having the embarkation roll, and indeed all journey rolls, on a separate page with space for events and stuff that happens on the road is that it's tied together anyway. At least the way I see this.
Soninlawofelfland wrote:Also, I'd like a printer friendly black and white version.
You're not the first one to mention that :) I'll try and add a printer friendly B/W version soon.