Play styles: Adventures in middle earth vs The One ring

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
ThrorII

Re: Play styles: Adventures in middle earth vs The One ring

Post by ThrorII » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:19 am

Paid a bod yn dwp wrote: I wonder if there are suggestions in the new Loremasters guide?
Surprisingly no. But, like I said, using Hero points from the DMG (call them Hope points) gives a similar diminishing pool of points for a +1d6 to a roll (refreshing every level gain...). You can rule that if you reach 0 Hope/Hero points, you gain 1 Shadow.

You can also rule that each character gets a number of Hope/Hero points equal to their Wisdom score (thereby making the Hope/Shadow economy linked in a way). Hope/Hero only refreshes with a new Undertaking (see the TOR undertaking for this). The group can then get a group Fellowship pool of Hero/Hope points that refresh each session (+1 additional for each Hobbit).

The problem with introducing Hope economy is that it really undermines the Inspiration economy. Inspiration requires the character live up to their Distinct Features, Specialities, Flaws, etc. Hope allows them to spend freely without regards to their characters. Conversely, if Inspiration is given as freely as the game suggests, then why spend Hope/Hero points for a 1d6 bonus, when Inspiration givs you what amounts to a guaranteed +5 and Hope has consequences if spent (Shadow points).

If you port over the Hope/Fellowship pool from TOR in total, you have to consider what you want Hope points to do. In TOR, they buy uses of Traits (much like you freely tag Flaws/Bonds/Ideals in 5e for Inspiration), they buy Attribute bonuses (no equivilent in D&D, since Ability bonuses are always added in), and they power magical abilities (which AiMe uses Inspiration and Hit Die to do). So there is no 1-1 correlation. Either they can give a +1d6 (like Hero points) or they can give advantage (like Inspiration), or something different.
Paid a bod yn dwp wrote:All in all I'm starting to see the pluses and minuses to each game now. These last points shows me how perhaps a little of the immersive Tolkien feeling could be lost with AIME. But I also note that a few people have spoken very positively about AIMe's interpretation of Encounters/Audiences and Travel/Journeys
It really comes down to your groups play-style.

Paid a bod yn dwp

Post by Paid a bod yn dwp » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:01 pm

ThrorII wrote: The problem with introducing Hope economy is that it really undermines the Inspiration economy.
Good point. Maybe more a matter of injecting thematic Tolkien flavour into the already existing inspiration mechanic, which I'm sure AIME suggests already.

zedturtle

Post by zedturtle » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:57 pm

Jon has written a fantastic treatise here where he talks about the goals and design of Adventures in Middle-earth.
Jacob Rodgers, occasional nitwit.

This space intentionally blank.

Paid a bod yn dwp

Post by Paid a bod yn dwp » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:11 pm

zedturtle wrote:Jon has written a fantastic treatise here where he talks about the goals and design of Adventures in Middle-earth.
Yes, good to see the designers talking about the new books.

Majestic

Post by Majestic » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:21 pm

That's a great link, and it is indeed fun to read. Thanks for linking to it, zed, as otherwise I don't think I'd have seen it.
Adventure Summaries of our campaign, currently playing through The Darkening of Mirkwood

Paid a bod yn dwp

Post by Paid a bod yn dwp » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:16 pm

How are courtesy rolls done in AIME? Watched a bit of a play through of TOR on youtube and the use of the word "Courtesy roll" for social interaction seemed very fitting & flavourful for middle earth. Is this a charisma roll in AIME? Are words & flavour like Courtesy encouraged in the AIME game? I couldn't see it on the character sheet.

It may seem pedantic, but I suppose i'm interested in how the flavour of Tolkien's writing is translated to AIME & D&D 5ed?

Soninlawofelfland

Post by Soninlawofelfland » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:20 pm

The courtesy roll in AiME is the Traditions check (INT based).

Paid a bod yn dwp

Post by Paid a bod yn dwp » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:49 pm

Soninlawofelfland wrote:The courtesy roll in AiME is the Traditions check (INT based).
Thanks.

So do players of AIME feel that it does a good job in retaining the feel & themes of Tolkiens writing? Or is TOR preferred in this regard?

Soninlawofelfland

Post by Soninlawofelfland » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:39 pm

I actually think they both do a good job, but I think the AiME rules for Audiences work a bit better with a variety of checks as opposed to a series of the same check. With regard to journeys there are strengths and weaknesses with both. The group fellowship mechanics in tOR are better.

Paid a bod yn dwp

Post by Paid a bod yn dwp » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:39 pm

Soninlawofelfland wrote:I actually think they both do a good job, but I think the AiME rules for Audiences work a bit better with a variety of checks as opposed to a series of the same check. With regard to journeys there are strengths and weaknesses with both. The group fellowship mechanics in tOR are better.
Cheers - Sounds good. Have you felt the need to house rule the group fellowship mechanic in AIME, to be more in line with TOR?