Magical Results and Expenditure of HD

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
daedel

Magical Results and Expenditure of HD

Post by daedel » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:25 pm

I've just been perusing Loremaster's Guide and in the Magical Treasure section found this:
"A hero using a Wondrous Artefact may declare that they wish to spend Inspiration and a variable number
of their Hit Dice in order to succeed at something “impossible” by turning a successful die roll made
using the affected skill into a Magical Result. A Magical Result indicates that the outcome of the task
did not only surpass all expectations, but achieved something beyond the hero’s normal capabilities – in
other words, a feat that could hardly be accomplished by the companion without magical aid"

Please clarify: these HD are the same you use for healing in a short rest? So now you have to decide if you are going to use them for healing purposes or to fuel a magical result?
Baruk-Khazad! Khazad-ai-Menu!

T.S. Luikart

Re: Magical Results and Expenditure of HD

Post by T.S. Luikart » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:29 pm

daedel wrote:Please clarify: these HD are the same you use for healing in a short rest? So now you have to decide if you are going to use them for healing purposes or to fuel a magical result?
The very same.
TS Luikart
Cubicle 7

ThrorII

Post by ThrorII » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:56 am

That is one of my first LMG house rules to remove. Inspiration is fleeting enough that you shouldn't have to decide between healing and cool magical effects. Unless you DON'T have inspiration, then I'd allow you to spend HD to get the desired effect--at a cost (HD).

Absolutely LOVE the LMG, however. Beautiful book, with tons of great info. I like that the beastiary provides additional Adversary powers/abilities so that between the 5e MM and TOR materials, you can create the missing monsters.

BookBarbarian

Post by BookBarbarian » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:26 am

I think spending Inspiration on more than just advantage, and spending HD on more than just recovering hitpoints is inspired (pun intended).

Giving players choices that involve risk vs. reward make the game more fun for my table, and having magic items that draw form the players health or strength of will is pretty thematic.

zedturtle

Post by zedturtle » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:04 am

ThrorII wrote:That is one of my first LMG house rules to remove. Inspiration is fleeting enough that you shouldn't have to decide between healing and cool magical effects. Unless you DON'T have inspiration, then I'd allow you to spend HD to get the desired effect--at a cost (HD).
This is, I think, one of those play-style things. In my mind, Inspiration is meant to be much, much more common in Adventures in Middle-earth. Loremasters should be handing it out left and right... not so much that it's completely worthless but enough so that players will spend it, knowing that they can get it back when it counts. You'll note that "Starting Inspiration" on page 53 suggests that the LM award Inspiration at the beginning of each session... that means the heroes start on a positive account and hopefully that keeps going.

As for HD being precious... yes, yes they are. And it's something that all the heroes have, so using them to power magical effects is a pretty good idea. If you allowed in a class with spell slots, then maybe expending spell slots in exchange wouldn't be a terrible idea that would make that character have access to more magical effects than others.
Jacob Rodgers, occasional nitwit.

This space intentionally blank.

impishmortal

Post by impishmortal » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:14 pm

zedturtle wrote: This is, I think, one of those play-style things. In my mind, Inspiration is meant to be much, much more common in Adventures in Middle-earth. Loremasters should be handing it out left and right... not so much that it's completely worthless but enough so that players will spend it, knowing that they can get it back when it counts. You'll note that "Starting Inspiration" on page 53 suggests that the LM award Inspiration at the beginning of each session... that means the heroes start on a positive account and hopefully that keeps going.

As for HD being precious... yes, yes they are. And it's something that all the heroes have, so using them to power magical effects is a pretty good idea. If you allowed in a class with spell slots, then maybe expending spell slots in exchange wouldn't be a terrible idea that would make that character have access to more magical effects than others.
I totally agree with you, zedturtle. If LMs aren't awarding their players inspiration on a regular basis (or the players aren't attempting to gain some), it does kind of run contrary to the intent of its function in AiME. We go through a fair amount with my group, and still fail on a fair amount of attacks and checks. But that's part of the fun.

I do think that finding new ways to spend inspiration and HD makes the game a lot more interesting. Plus, having to choose between hp recovery in the near future vs. doing something amazing seems like a pretty fair trade-off for the setting.

Majestic

Post by Majestic » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:58 pm

I like this mechanic, too.

And even in 'standard' 5E, I try to be quite liberal in handing out Inspiration. On the other hand, when I am a player in 5E, I've found that most GMs are pretty stingy with Inspiration, hardly every giving it out.

I'm glad to see that it's encouraged to be dished out in AiMe.
Adventure Summaries of our campaign, currently playing through The Darkening of Mirkwood

farinal

Post by farinal » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:17 pm

I like this rule a lot. Good idea!
Of Finarfin's children I am the last. But my heart is still proud. What wrong did the golden house of Finarfin do that I should ask the pardon of the Valar, or be content with an isle in the sea whose native land was Aman the Blessed? Here I am mightier.

Mim

Post by Mim » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:21 pm

Yes, this does seem to be a good fit. :)

Robin Smallburrow

Post by Robin Smallburrow » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:28 am

Will be using this idea to revise the List of Spells Appropriate for Middle-earth (to include HD/Inspiration/Exhaustion Levels). Also makes sense to keep the 'rules of magic' universal (what applies to magical items should also apply to other magic)

For example, I noticed that Lightning, Fireball etc. are not considered "appropriate' spells for Middle-earth. But I could see where such a spell would be possible - in the middle of a thunderstorm for instance (the caster is then just redirecting the energies involved). One could also argue that Gandalf uses a spell similar to Fireball to direct the fire from the trees onto the wargs attacking the Fellowship.

So I think that a LM should be flexible in regards to Magic use and consider the circumstances, always remembering this general idea: "the greater the desired affect, the greater the cost (in HD,Exhaustion Levels etc.).

And for Middle-earth it is not possible to create something from nothing - the energy or material required must come from somewhere (usually the caster, which is why magic is Exhausting).

Robin S.
To access all my links for my TOR Resources - please click on this link >> http://bit.ly/1gjXkCo