Introducing Magic to AIME

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
zedturtle

Re: Introducing Magic to AIME

Post by zedturtle » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:05 pm

Stardust wrote:If you remember, I was attempting to come up with a magic-using villain character for the Lost Mine of Phandelver to Lost Mine of Phandwelve conversion from the D&D Starter Set.
Where are thinking of putting the Lost Mine? I'm thinking that somewhere around Mountain Hall could be good (in terms of explaining the presence of Men and Dwarves) or in the Sceadudene for the same reasons. It could also fit into the Grey Mountain Narrows, near the Erebor/Dale side, or possibly on the other side, which would put it closer to the Viglundings.
Jacob Rodgers, occasional nitwit.

This space intentionally blank.

Stardust

Post by Stardust » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:22 pm

I was originally thinking somewhere in the Grey Mountains, since the Mine of Phandwelve was made during one of those rare times of Dwarf and Elf cooperation. (I imagine that Phan- means something in Sindarin, and the -dwelve is of course a dwarven suffix for many places under the mountains.) If you notice, the original name Phandelver, the suffix -delver of course refers to a digger or searcher for treasure.

But since this campaign is very much about the restoration of Dale after the defeat of Smaug, it could be somewhere else. The Iron Hills perhaps, although that area seems largely populated by dwarves, who would probably have already rediscovered it.

zedturtle

Post by zedturtle » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:11 am

Oh, yeah... I should have said earlier that I would not likely keep the name... the 'Phan' component is just too Forgotten Realms for me, and I'd make it a Dwarven mine with some secretive name, or possibly tie it into one of the various canonical mines (e.g. The Grey Delve or somewhere else).

Stardust

Post by Stardust » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:58 pm

I haven't heard of the Grey Delve. Is it a lost mine?

zedturtle

Post by zedturtle » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:38 am

Stardust wrote:I haven't heard of the Grey Delve. Is it a lost mine?
Yeah. In the Darkening of Mirkwood, it's a plot point that Frár the Beardless wants to reclaim it from the orcs. The Lost Mine might be part of that complex, or a place that was supported by the larger community at the Greydelve.

Majestic

Post by Majestic » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:04 pm

I like what you've done with Iarno and the staff!

When I ran this (in D&D) my players were new, and the Wizard PC really wanted Iarno's staff. Unfortunately (for him), another PC shattered it before he could get his hands on it. :)

I really like the corrupted mechanic you've done, and how it will be difficult (with all the cool things it does) for a PC if they start to use it.
Adventure Summaries of our campaign, currently playing through The Darkening of Mirkwood

Robin Smallburrow

Post by Robin Smallburrow » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:47 am

Can't wait for the Loremaster Guide now I see there is a chapter on Magic in it!!!

Robin S
To access all my links for my TOR Resources - please click on this link >> http://bit.ly/1gjXkCo

T.S. Luikart

Post by T.S. Luikart » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:08 pm

I am rather looking forward to hearing what you and Zed think about the magic section, Robin. ;)
TS Luikart
Cubicle 7

zedturtle

Post by zedturtle » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:42 pm

T.S. Luikart wrote:I am rather looking forward to hearing what you and Zed think about the magic section, Robin. ;)
I was telling somebody recently that some (a lot, really) of the writing in the Loremaster's Guide was heartbreakingly beautiful.

CaptainShark

Post by CaptainShark » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:20 pm

Now that it's out on DTRPG and I've had a look, here's my thoughts.

Magic section in the LMG lists some broad categories that your magic should fall into, as far as what they are or where they come from, to keep them ME appropriate. Not quite as distinct as schools of magic in D&D but still helpful for separating magical effects out and figuring out what a character that uses magic should be able to do. Also, I think a very elegant way of suggesting to home-brewers what C7 thinks works and doesn't for the setting.

It then offers suggestions for what level of magic to include in your games. From leaving as is, to a limited option where only some spells and classes are allowed, to allowing any magic as long as the player can reskin it to fit the themes of Middle Earth, to just letting anything from the OGL in. There's also a blurb that using magic attracts the eye of the enemy.

The list of middle-earth appropriate spells is pretty short but is well-thought out. Very little in the way of direct damage, but a good bit of enhancement of allies and natural effects.