Introducing Magic to AIME

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
BookBarbarian

Re: Introducing Magic to AIME

Post by BookBarbarian » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:39 am

I thought it was a longer list than I expected, and I agree it's well thought out. I'm probably going to allow Master Scholars some spell progression (though not full spellcaster).

Brandiwise

Post by Brandiwise » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:41 pm

BookBarbarian wrote:
CaptainShark wrote:The list of middle-earth appropriate spells is pretty short but is well-thought out. Very little in the way of direct damage, but a good bit of enhancement of allies and natural effects.
I thought it was a longer list than I expected, and I agree it's well thought out. I'm probably going to allow Master Scholars some spell progression (though not full spellcaster).
Yes currently Master Scholars get a bit of a raw deal...
"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door," he used to say. "You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to."

Mim

Post by Mim » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:29 pm

BookBarbarian wrote:
CaptainShark wrote:The list of middle-earth appropriate spells is pretty short but is well-thought out. Very little in the way of direct damage, but a good bit of enhancement of allies and natural effects.
Agreed! It's a beautifully written and well thought out chapter that gives us solid guidelines on spells. The list itself does indeed lack more powerful offensive spells -- though maintains the flavor of Middle-earth for that very reason -- and you can always add spells as you feel they fit your chronicle. Overall, I'm very pleased, though still reflecting on their selection.

T.S. Luikart

Post by T.S. Luikart » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:00 pm

BookBarbarian wrote:I thought it was a longer list than I expected, and I agree it's well thought out. I'm probably going to allow Master Scholars some spell progression (though not full spellcaster).
If going this route, consider the section on Ritual Magic in 5E as a good starting point. ;)
TS Luikart
Cubicle 7

Mykesfree

Post by Mykesfree » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:50 pm

Hi All,

I have created the following Spell List from the Loremaster's Guide. It is sorted in Spell Level Order, then Alpha. Also included are Spell Schools, Class the Spell is from, Does the spell require concentrations, and if it can be cast as a ritual.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxgFX ... 1NPcmUycnc

Enjoy!
Last edited by Mykesfree on Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mim

Post by Mim » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:36 pm

Wow, thank you!

Mim

Post by Mim » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:37 pm

T.S. Luikart wrote:If going this route, consider the section on Ritual Magic in 5E as a good starting point. ;)
That's excellent advice and I'll also check into that. :)

CaptainShark

Post by CaptainShark » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:52 pm

T.S. Luikart wrote:
BookBarbarian wrote:I thought it was a longer list than I expected, and I agree it's well thought out. I'm probably going to allow Master Scholars some spell progression (though not full spellcaster).
If going this route, consider the section on Ritual Magic in 5E as a good starting point. ;)
This actually makes a lot of sense. Instead of giving them spell slots, allow spells as rituals in some cases (or maybe have that be the basic feature they are granted with the ability to pick up other spellcasting ability later).

ThrorII

Post by ThrorII » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:01 pm

While I'm hesitant to open the door to D&D 5e spells (even the AiMe approved ones), I also would like to give the Master Scholar a little 'umph!'

What about giving the Master Scholar various already established magical cultural virtues whenever they pick a Secret Lore?

Something like this:

Ancient Lore
In addition to the listed abilities and proficiencies, the Master Scholar gains the Piercing Sight cultural virtue of the Men of Minas Tirith.

Birds & Beasts
Upon choosing this secret a third time, you gain the Wood-elven cultural virtue the Speakers.

Dark Knowledge
Upon choosing this secret, you may learn Dreadful spells. Dreadful spells are weapons of the Enemy that involve control, deceit, domination, fear or overt force.

The Master Scholar may learn one Dreadful spell as their undertaking during a Fellowship phase. Casting a Dreadful spell earns the Scholar one Shadow point automatically, and two additional points if their DC 15 Corruption saving throw is failed.

To avoid the Dreadful spell, the target must make a Corruption saving throw equal to DC8 +caster’s Proficiency bonus +Intelligence modifier.

Examples of Dreadful spells from D&D5e include Charm Person, Command, Dominate, Dominate Beast, Fear, Mass Suggestion, and Power Word Stun. Other unnatural effects might include causing your sword blade to be wreathed in flame or cause an enemy’s weapon to shatter, or shattering a gate or door with a foul word. Each Dreadful spell costs a number of Hit Dice equal to the spell’s level +1 to cast (a cantrip costs 1HD, a 9th level spell costs 10HD).

Natural World
Along with the listed abilities and proficiencies, you gain the Herbal Remedies cultural virtue of the Wood-men.

Runes
In addition to the listed abilities and proficiencies, the Master Scholar gains the Broken Spells cultural virtue of the Dwarves.

Works of Elder Days
In addition to the listed abilities and proficiencies, the Master Scholar can now craft an object of beauty and strength by weaving the subtle magic of Middle-earth into it.

During a Fellowship phase, for your Undertaking, you may create a non-combat object and add a low powered magical effect to it, amounting to a +1 to a single skill.

Note that while certainly skillful, you cannot improve the craftsmanship of old: you may only enhance an object that does not already possess Enchanted Qualities.

Just a thought....

BookBarbarian

Post by BookBarbarian » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:06 pm

Mim wrote:
T.S. Luikart wrote:If going this route, consider the section on Ritual Magic in 5E as a good starting point. ;)
That's excellent advice and I'll also check into that. :)
Agreed. That will work brilliantly.