Introducing Magic to AIME

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
Malcom of Clan Ewen

Re: Introducing Magic to AIME

Post by Malcom of Clan Ewen » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:12 am

I went back through my Decipher LOTR rulebook last night and remembered why I did not like that game. It is clunky and hard to follow. So I doubt I'll be using their spells in my efforts to add more magic. But I really like the idea of elementalists. And there is a great supplement for Castles & Crusades that is nothing but elemental spells. A lot of these would work well in the Middle Earth setting. So now I'm thinking of essentially the following kinds of spell casters:

Elementalist (Pick one of the 4 classic elements)
Conjuror (Some version of what Robin created and or something like the Illusionist from 1st edition)
Sorcerer (Evil spell-casters aligned with the Shadow)
Druids

To me druids make good sense for Middle Earth; more so than "regular" clerics. I like the idea of having them attuned to the Valar and perhaps special abilities/virtues or whatever might be tied to specific patrons like Orome, Ulmo, etc. And the fact that they don't have power against the undead is good in the sense of it limiting their powers somewhat. Actually, I always thought of Radagast as a druid.

And, cribbing from MERP, I think each spell would have some kind of risk factor tied to its potency that could trigger a reaction from Shadow forces. That could curb players from constantly throwing high powered magic around. And of course one could create very specific spell lists that simply omitted really powerful spells. Another possible idea is tailoring spell lists to cultures. They did this in the gazetteer series in original D&D and it was really cool and added a lot of flavor. The elven lists, for example, culled from magic user and druid lists and included some unique spells, but almost all were tied to the natural world. I could totally see creating something like a Dwarven Elementalist with skills in stone shaping (earth) or metallurgy/weaponcraft (fire). So many ideas and I don't even have my rulebooks yet...

ThrorII

Post by ThrorII » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:35 am

BookBarbarian wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:18 pm
ThrorII wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:01 pm
snip
This is brilliant advice.
Thanks!!!! It only took 7 months for someone to realize it.... :lol: :lol:

BookBarbarian