Loremaster's Guide [Cover... and a little news]

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
ThrorII

Re: Loremaster's Guide [Cover... and a little news]

Post by ThrorII » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:57 pm

I have no idea, I'm just trying to make sense of the rules as given. Especially since there are no armor feats in AiMe (although I would allow an armour virtue as an additional Open Virtue if you are using the alternate LMG rule). That way the scholar would gain medium upon mulitclassing, and at a later fellowship phase could gain heavy armor.

Evinthal

Post by Evinthal » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:54 pm

ThrorII wrote:I have no idea, I'm just trying to make sense of the rules as given. Especially since there are no armor feats in AiMe (although I would allow an armour virtue as an additional Open Virtue if you are using the alternate LMG rule). That way the scholar would gain medium upon mulitclassing, and at a later fellowship phase could gain heavy armor.
I was wondering the same thing myself, so I asked. If I get a definitive reply and it is okay I will post what I hear. :)

Jon Hodgson

Post by Jon Hodgson » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:12 pm

I read here as well as reading PMs, so we can skip a step! :)

Oftentimes we won't post an answer when we feel a rule is either deliberately written to be a matter of interpretation, or sufficiently clear as written - not so much because we're aloof idiots (though there's probably that in there too) but because we think the community will work it out between you, and we can crack on with making the next awesome thing.

You'll notice just how many questions were posted after the LMG came out that simply needed a closer second reading. Or a bit of help from a fellow AMEr.

On multiclassing, it's loosely described so that it can be very much up to the Loremaster to interpret that section as they see fit for their games. That's a running theme of the supplement. If you run games where parsing "all armour" means light+medium+heavy as one proficiency, then you'll need a certain type of rules that feature more detail than we're really prepared to offer in this LMG, at this time. (We never say never! LMG2 might have some more radical ideas on multiclassing once we've spent some more time in 5e Middle-earth!)

One of our tasks is to ensure we maximise the most significant, enjoyment-delivering material. If we were to dive into a really minute level of detail, either in the supplements themselves, or in super-focused discussion, we'd really have to cut back other material that we regard as of much stronger value, and that's not our style.

We aim to trust our readers to know their players and play style better than us, and to provide as much material that is as adaptable to your own games as possible. Sometimes we will absolutely fall off that tightrope, but we still try to walk it as much as possible.

An important part of the multiclassing section is the material that precedes it that pretty much says "eh, maybe this isn't going to be such a superhot idea in AME, but if you really want to allow it, then here's some ideas along with permission to adjudicate it as you see fit".

Hope that helps!
Jon Hodgson
Creative Director, Cubicle 7
Like us on Facebook!

Soninlawofelfland

Post by Soninlawofelfland » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:38 pm

Excellent design philosophy. Thank you for the peek behind the curtain.

Evinthal

Post by Evinthal » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:45 am

Awesome, thank you so much for that! I am a a fan of interpretation of rules more than, what is written is law. :)