Loremaster's Guide [Cover... and a little news]

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
CaptainJoeman

Re: Loremaster's Guide [Cover... and a little news]

Post by CaptainJoeman » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:39 pm

:o I didn't get my pdf yet. Is it because I'm American? If so I'm sorry. Please send.

KarvettLogsplitter

Post by KarvettLogsplitter » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:42 pm

Oh... I don't have mine either, but as it was a Christmas present I need to reach out to the giver to see if they got the email. Can't wait to see the adventuring rules on Rests and Exhaustion... and the adversaries.

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:44 pm

CaptainJoeman wrote::o I didn't get my pdf yet. Is it because I'm American? If so I'm sorry. Please send.
You're a day early. The article says the PDFs aren't going out until tomorrow (January 31).
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

Brandiwise

Post by Brandiwise » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:24 pm

Otaku-sempai wrote:I was expecting a more comprehensive section on monsters and adversaries, but the Lake-town material is a nice consolation prize.
Yeah, a bit gutted that the extra monsters added to The One Ring (wights, Nazgul etc) haven't made it into the bestiary. I'm running an Eriador campaign so I need Wights!
"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door," he used to say. "You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to."

Beran

Post by Beran » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:45 pm

The bestiary is a little thin.

aefm

Post by aefm » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:55 pm

I'm a little disappointed with the bestiary and I was expecting more about the rules and not about the world I've already know. But I hope travel rules and other stuff surprises me.

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:37 pm

Brandiwise wrote:Yeah, a bit gutted that the extra monsters added to The One Ring (wights, Nazgul etc) haven't made it into the bestiary. I'm running an Eriador campaign so I need Wights!
I suggest borrowing the D&D Wights, adapt as needed:

Wight
Medium undead, neutral evil

Armor Class 14 (studded leather)
Hit Points 45 (6d8 + 18)
Speed 30 ft.

STR 15 (+2); DEX 14 (+2); CON 16 (+3); INT 10 (+0); WIS 13 (+1); CHA 15 (+2)

Skills Perception +3, Stealth +4
Damage Resistances necrotic; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical attacks that aren’t silvered
Damage Immunities poison
Condition Immunities exhaustion, poisoned
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 13
Languages the languages it knew in life
Challenge 3 (700 XP)
Sunlight Sensitivity. While in sunlight, the wight has disadvantage on attack rolls, as well as on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight.

Actions
Multiattack. The wight makes two longsword attacks or two longbow attacks. It can use its Life Drain in place of one longsword attack.

Life Drain. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit: 5 (1d6 + 2) necrotic damage. The target must succeed on a DC 13 Constitution saving throw or its hit point maximum is reduced by an amount equal to the damage taken. This reduction lasts until the target finishes a long rest. The target dies if this effect reduces its hit point maximum to 0. A humanoid slain by this attack rises 24 hours later as a zombie under the wight’s control, unless the humanoid is restored to life or its body is destroyed. The wight can have no more than twelve zombies under its control at one time.

Longsword. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d8 + 2) slashing damage, or 7 (1d10 + 2) slashing damage if used with two hands.

Longbow. Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, range 150/600 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d8 + 2) piercing damage.

Wights are intelligent undead humanoids that resemble armed and armored corpses. They never tire in pursuit of their goal of making eternal war against the living.
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

JoeCrow9

Post by JoeCrow9 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:16 pm

The Bestiary is pretty small, but they were kinda limited when they set themselves up for a 156 page book. I'm hoping that they've realized that critter books are one of the major moneymaker supplements, and they're planning on putting out an actual AiME full on critter book. Coz that'll actually sell outside the core audience, since it'll be 5E compatible.

And if they're not planning on it yet, well, feel free to steal my idea and claim it's yours, guys! ;)

Beran

Post by Beran » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:51 am

JoeCrow9 wrote:The Bestiary is pretty small, but they were kinda limited when they set themselves up for a 156 page book. I'm hoping that they've realized that critter books are one of the major moneymaker supplements, and they're planning on putting out an actual AiME full on critter book. Coz that'll actually sell outside the core audience, since it'll be 5E compatible.

And if they're not planning on it yet, well, feel free to steal my idea and claim it's yours, guys! ;)
True, but (correct me if I am wrong) even in the Third Age werewolves and vampires are kind of rare. While wights and other more common creatures could have been included in their place.

Also, did I miss the clarification on the healing rules some where?

farinal

Post by farinal » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:39 am

a bit disappointed with small beastiary and no starter adventure. but I want to see the journeys expanded part.
Of Finarfin's children I am the last. But my heart is still proud. What wrong did the golden house of Finarfin do that I should ask the pardon of the Valar, or be content with an isle in the sea whose native land was Aman the Blessed? Here I am mightier.