Converting old MERP adventures

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
Sloblock

Converting old MERP adventures

Post by Sloblock » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:36 pm

Hi all

Long time reader first time poster

Picked up a copy of the AiME book - which is great

And then I wondered what adventure to run with it, I dug out my old copies of 1st ED MERP adventures. This got me wondering is anyone else planning on reusing old adventures or are folks waiting for official conversions of the TOR books?

zedturtle

Re: Converting old MERP adventures

Post by zedturtle » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:41 am

I know Stan Shinn has been doing some of this, his thread is here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=7283
Jacob Rodgers, occasional nitwit.

This space intentionally blank.

Stan Shinn

Post by Stan Shinn » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:19 pm

Yep, I'm not waiting for the conversions of TOR adventures to start playing -- I love this game too much! Oh, and I'm also more interested in the TA 1640 era of the MERP adventures (although I will eventually progress to a new campaign of the TOR adventure era, and, years from now, to the 4th age).

I'm a long-time converter of old adventures -- see my site at classicmodulestoday.com where we've got almost 30 classic D&D modules converted over to 5e. That site also has D&D 1e conversion guides that I wrote.

Here's how I am now doing my MERP conversions:

— Read through and take notes on classis MERP adventure modules. Steal the best ideas.
— Don't convert MERP creatures starting from the creature stats; instead, just look up the best creature match from the fan AiME bestiary (https://goo.gl/OT5DRu) or D&D Monster Manual. Don't sweat if the conversion isn't perfect. Adjust hit points and damage up or down to taste.
— I run games from my summary notes instead of the module (the exception being if it's a dungeon crawl type adventure with room keys, in which case I use the module).

That's pretty much it. I tweak lots of things (MERP herbs I replace with herbs from the AiME book, MERP over-powered magic items and spellcasters that aren't really Tolkien-compatible I tease out and replace with other things, etc.) but you can pretty much do all of this on the fly. Just read MERP modules for story, background, names, area descriptions, and maps. Convert the mechanics by replacing them with appropriate 5e stat blocks. If you're an experienced GM, you can do this on the fly during the game.

Here are photos of my last game:
https://goo.gl/photos/YJUohFJQRcU2chbx8

And a writeup of my first Heroes of Arnor adventure:
http://dicehaven.com/middle-earth/heroe ... apter-one/

-- Stan
— Stan Shinn

Check out my Adventures in Middle-earth blog posts on my game club's website.

Finrod Felagund

Post by Finrod Felagund » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:23 pm

Stan Shinn wrote: And a writeup of my first Heroes of Arnor adventure:
http://dicehaven.com/middle-earth/heroe ... apter-one/
-- Stan
Just wanted to say that I really enjoyed the write-up and especially the Poem. Let us know every now and again when you update your reports!

FF

Stan Shinn

Post by Stan Shinn » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:58 pm

Will do! :-)
— Stan Shinn

Check out my Adventures in Middle-earth blog posts on my game club's website.

Sloblock

Post by Sloblock » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:42 pm

Many thanks for your replies. Will take a look at the links now

Malcom of Clan Ewen

Post by Malcom of Clan Ewen » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:55 am

Stan Shinn wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:19 pm
Yep, I'm not waiting for the conversions of TOR adventures to start playing -- I love this game too much! Oh, and I'm also more interested in the TA 1640 era of the MERP adventures (although I will eventually progress to a new campaign of the TOR adventure era, and, years from now, to the 4th age).

Yeah, one of things I really liked about MERP was that you could play most of the modules in the mid-Third Age and not worry about messing with the canon, so to speak. But a lot of the NPCs (like the Elves, Wizards, and Nazgul) were around and could be used as allies or enemies. On the negative side, the criticals were brutal. We lost so many PCs and several others were permanently maimed. We had a one-footed bard and a one handed scout amongst the few who even made it to 5th level. So I'm looking forward to trying AME.