Converting High Elves of Rivendell

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
ThrorII

Re: Converting High Elves of Rivendell

Post by ThrorII » Thu May 18, 2017 4:43 pm

Robin Smallburrow wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 10:32 am
This is good, but where are the special balancing rules (skill marking etc.) that were in TOR for the High Elves?
I thoght that these were important and should not be left out of any conversion...

Robin S.
Since AiMe didn't include those for Rangers, I decided to omit them for High Elves.

Michebugio

Post by Michebugio » Fri May 19, 2017 8:04 am

ThrorII wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 11:39 pm
so max ability score of 22 normally, unless you're a slayer and you choose the Lesser ring to affect Strength or Con (in that case 26!!
Assuming that there will ever be a High Elf Slayer... :)

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Fri May 19, 2017 12:48 pm

Michebugio wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 8:04 am
Assuming that there will ever be a High Elf Slayer... :)
Though they would be NPCs (and technically not High Elves) I would consider the sons of Elrond to be Slayers (antipathy toward Orcs).
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

Michebugio

Post by Michebugio » Fri May 19, 2017 1:55 pm

Otaku-sempai wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 12:48 pm
Though they would be NPCs (and technically not High Elves) I would consider the sons of Elrond to be Slayers (antipathy toward Orcs).
Good catch, OS. The torture of their mother Celebrian at the hands of the Orcs would be a reason strong enough to turn them into Slayers. Although they would probably be Wanderers/Slayers, considering also their close affiliation with the Rangers of the North, so this would still prevent them from reaching the 20th level as Slayers.
The same fate could be assumed for many other High Elves who, despite being a warrior race, are rarely born in hatred, so it would be very unlikely to see a 1st level High Elf Slayer.

In any case, I can see now how an Elf (both from Rivendell and from Mirkwood) can be a Slayer. Unlike a Beorning berserker or a savage, noble rider from Rohan, their battle fury could turn them into cold, implacable killers instead.
"The Elves were the first to charge. Their hatred for the Goblins is cold and bitter."

ThrorII

Post by ThrorII » Fri May 19, 2017 8:59 pm

Oh yeah, I fully see the Sons of Elrond as Slayers. While they worked with the Rangers of the North, I don't remember anywhere Prof. T. speaking of them as wilderness lore types.

I can't find it right now, but I believe somewhere it was written that the brothers even fought Orcs in Rohan, sometime between 2700 and 2900.

Yeah, they had a HATRED of Orcs.....enough to travel all over NW Middle-earth killing them. I'd say they're Slayers.

Robin Smallburrow

Post by Robin Smallburrow » Sun May 21, 2017 11:19 pm

The skill marking mechanic in TOR was an excellent game mechanic explanation for why High Elves rarely go on adventures - they are more easily noticed ( witness Those Who Tarry).

If you are not providing a replacement rule then as LM you need to consider some other way of reflecting this, or be prepared for a whole party of High Elves....

Robin S
To access all my links for my TOR Resources - please click on this link >> http://bit.ly/1gjXkCo

MrUkpyr

Post by MrUkpyr » Mon May 22, 2017 4:17 am

Robin Smallburrow wrote:
Sun May 21, 2017 11:19 pm
The skill marking mechanic in TOR was an excellent game mechanic explanation for why High Elves rarely go on adventures - they are more easily noticed ( witness Those Who Tarry). SNIPPAGE Robin S
What is the "skill marking mechanic?
Thanks.

Michebugio

Post by Michebugio » Mon May 22, 2017 9:02 am

Robin Smallburrow wrote:
If you are not providing a replacement rule then as LM you need to consider some other way of reflecting this, or be prepared for a whole party of High Elves....
It's not that there are whole parties of Dúnedain right now either, even though they are more powerful than the other Cultures (+1 to an additional Ability score and an additional skill proficiency, without drawbacks of any sort).

ThrorII's High Elves are more or less like the Dúnedain, slightly more powerful but not game-breaking. I think that it's up to the Loremaster to narrate any drawback melding it with the story (more responsibilities or relationships, or the character is well known and recognized by the Enemy, etc.).

Robin Smallburrow

Post by Robin Smallburrow » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:37 pm

MrUkpyr wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 4:17 am
Robin Smallburrow wrote:
The skill marking mechanic in TOR was an excellent game mechanic explanation for why High Elves rarely go on adventures - they are more easily noticed ( witness Those Who Tarry). SNIPPAGE Robin S
What is the "skill marking mechanic?
Thanks.
From p.118 of Rivendell:
High-Elves and Shadow
"She was brought back to Imladris, and though healed in body by Elrond, lost all delight in Middle-earth, and the next year went to the Havens and passed over Sea."
High Elves cannot ever truly forget the taint of the Shadow once it has left its mark on their spirit. For this reason, High Elf characters cannot ever choose the Heal Corruption Fellowship phase undertaking. The only way they know to endure the burden of Shadow and remain in Middle-earth is to slowly ‘distance’ themselves from the world.
• Players may reduce the effects of corruption on their High Elf hero as an undertaking during a Fellowship phase: The player chooses a Common skill and draws a black dot (or a small Eye… ) to the left of its name to decrease their character’s Shadow point total by a number based on the table below. It is not possible to mark the same skill twice.
Skill Rating Shadow Reduction
1 1
2 2
3 3
4 4
5 5
6 6
Idril’s Shadow score has been 8 points since her company’s journey to the Mountains of Mirkwood. Fearing the consequences that further exposure to Shadow might bring, Idril’s player decides to do something about it. After a thorough analysis of her character sheet, she decides to mark her skill of Insight ♦♦♦, a choice that lets her get rid of 6 points. Her Shadow score is thus reduced to 2.

Using Marked Skills
When an High Elf makes use of a marked skill, there is always the possibility that the hero is overwhelmed by a sense of hopelessness and fails to find the motivation to do the deed.
• Whenever a High Elf hero uses a marked skill outside of an Elven sanctuary, all rolls producing an 'eye' result gain him 1 point of Shadow and are considered to fail automatically.

Idril has got rid of her fear and doubts, but has left behind herself part of her life in Middle-earth - when Idril will get to use her Insight skill, on an 'eye' result she will feel an overpowering sadness that will prevent her from completing her task…

I thought that this (coupled with the extra points given to Eye Awareness, also mentioned in Rivendell) gave a great mechanical reason why High Elves tend to stay in Sanctuaries - the consequences of being 'outside' soon become too great

I will work on converting this to AiME (unless someone else does)

Robin S.
To access all my links for my TOR Resources - please click on this link >> http://bit.ly/1gjXkCo

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:58 pm

Robin Smallburrow wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:37 pm
• Players may reduce the effects of corruption on their High Elf hero as an undertaking during a Fellowship phase: The player chooses a Common skill and draws a black dot (or a small Eye… ) to the left of its name to decrease their character’s Shadow point total by a number based on the table below. It is not possible to mark the same skill twice.
Skill Rating Shadow Reduction
1 1
2 2
3 3
4 4
5 5
6 6
That is in error. It should read as follows:
Skill Rating / Shadow Reduction
1 / 1
2 / 3
3 / 6
4 / 10
5 / 15
6 / 21
Last edited by Otaku-sempai on Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."