Converting High Elves of Rivendell

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
Anarfin

Re: Converting High Elves of Rivendell

Post by Anarfin » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:26 am

Otaku-sempai wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:03 pm
High Elves (by the narrowest definition) have dwelt in Aman and seen the light of the Two Trees. That gives them a spiritual component that is unmatched among other Elves or any other race of Middle-earth.
I am well aware of that, I was not asking about how it was portrayed in Tolkien's works, but how the designers presented that in-game mechanics in TOR :)
Anarfin wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:47 pm
Ok, I have not played TOR and I do not know if in that system Elves of Rivendell are somehow stronger (in game terms) than Mirkwood elves [...]
Coming to answer to my question:
Otaku-sempai wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:03 pm
In TOR they are presented as an Advanced Culture and have significant advantages over even the Elves of Mirkwood when dealing with the Shadow. A single Ringwraith (with the possible exception of the Lord of the Nazgûl--and maybe not even him until the time of the War of the Ring) would be unable to stand against a Wandering Company of High Elves without being forced to withdraw.
I was asking how strong in game terms in TOR is the starting Noldo character in comparison to starting Mirkwood Elf. I am assuming that they are significantly stronger, and this is reason of their serious drawback.
Conversions made by Michebugio and Thror creates Rivendell elf of similar power level to the rest of the playable races (+1 to one stat and two additional tool proficiencies is not game-breaking in any way).

What I wanted to say, is that in AiME, proposed drawback for Rivendell elves is too severe comparing it to their power level.
Last edited by Anarfin on Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ThrorII

Post by ThrorII » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:19 am

Anarfin wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:26 am
What I wanted to say, is that in AiME proposed drawback for Rivendell elves is too severe comparing it to their power level.
In my opinion? Yes.

That is why the AiMe Dunedain does not have the drawbacks that the TOR Ranger of the North does.

Orophin

Post by Orophin » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:11 am

So has anyone made the cultural attitudes for High Elves? I was thinking towards Dunedain-friendly, Dwarves Neutral...what others do you think?

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:09 am

Orophin wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:11 am
So has anyone made the cultural attitudes for High Elves? I was thinking towards Dunedain-friendly, Dwarves Neutral...what others do you think?
The High Elves maintain a close relationship with the Dúnedain, so the starting attitudes of the High Elves would probably mirror those of the Rangers for the most part.

Starting Attitudes of the High Elves of Rivendell Toward:
- Bardings: Unknown
- Beornings: Unknown
- Bree-folk: Askance
- Dúnedain: Favoured
- Dwarves of the Lonely Mountain: Neutral (Friendly toward the former members of Thorin's company)
- Elves of Mirkwood: Neutral
- High Elves of Rivendell: Favoured
- Men of Minas Tirith: Askance
- Hobbits of the Shire: Friendly
- Men of the Lake: Unknown
- Riders of Rohan: Unknown
- Woodmen: Unknown
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

Orophin

Post by Orophin » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:12 pm

Thank you Otaku-sempai!

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:53 pm

You are most welcome. See TOR's Rivendell region guide for what Elrond says about the core Heroic Cultures for TOR. I used that as a guide for my own rankings.
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

Anarfin

Post by Anarfin » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:48 pm

I agree with most of the Otaku-sempai estimations, but my version of High Elves cultural attitudes is slightly different (differences in bold).

Starting Attitudes of the High Elves of Rivendell Toward:
- Bardings: Unknown
- Beornings: Unknown
- Bree-folk: Askance
- Dúnedain: Favoured
- Dwarves of the Lonely Mountain: Neutral (I agree that Noldor and Khazads always had mutual respect and understanding for each other - vide Eregion and Moria - and the relations between them were better than between dwarves and the Sindar/Silvan Elves)
- Elves of Mirkwood: Friendly (Although there are some misunderstandings/tension between Noldor and Sindar, both cultures share same heritage and sad fate. I cannot imagine, that after successful Tradition check - i.e. being polite and showing every possible respect to the host, the best reaction, on DC 20, would be: "The NPC provides whatever minor aid or service is asked by a company, but balks at any larger requests." That's not elvish way.)
- High Elves of Rivendell: Favoured
- Men of Minas Tirith: Neutral (Although the Dunedains may harbour some resentments toward the Man of the Minas Tirith, probably due to the lack of timely aid for kingdom of Arnor, elves of Rivendell fought shoulder to shoulder with Gondorians during the War of the Last Alliance and later, against forces of Angmar. That's enough to count their relations as Neutral.)
- Hobbits of the Shire: Friendly
- Men of the Lake: Unknown
- Riders of Rohan: Unknown
- Woodmen: Unknown
Last edited by Anarfin on Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Katowice

Post by Katowice » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:20 pm

Will High Elves appear in the Adventures of Middle Earth line sometime in the future?

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:01 pm

Katowice wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:20 pm
Will High Elves appear in the Adventures of Middle Earth line sometime in the future?
Sure, as soon as a region guide for Rivendell and (East?) Eriador is released. Though nothing as been announced at this time.