On Slayers and Warriors

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
BookBarbarian

Re: On Slayers and Warriors

Post by BookBarbarian » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:12 pm

And now I just realized that Men of the Lake can get a shield bash virtue.

CapnZapp

Post by CapnZapp » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:36 pm

Majestic wrote:Nor is the Great Weapon Fighter halving 95%+ of all damage taken, as the Barbarian will do.
That is exactly what I meant by "won't have effectively double hit points"...

Majestic

Post by Majestic » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:44 pm

CapnZapp wrote:
Majestic wrote:Nor is the Great Weapon Fighter halving 95%+ of all damage taken, as the Barbarian will do.
That is exactly what I meant by "won't have effectively double hit points"...
Ah, gotcha. I thought you meant literal HP (as in they were "tanky" and had lots). I haven't played a Barbarian myself, though I constructed one for a con game and have watched my daughter and another friend use them in play. The Bear Totem is quite exceptional.
Adventure Summaries of our campaign, currently playing through The Darkening of Mirkwood

CapnZapp

Post by CapnZapp » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:46 pm

Cheers

Olog-Hai

Post by Olog-Hai » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:37 am

BookBarbarian wrote:Hoehammers
:lol:
Looking for Auckland-area players for TOR. Please PM me!

BookBarbarian

Post by BookBarbarian » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:28 am

Olog-Hai wrote:
BookBarbarian wrote:Hoehammers
:lol:
Woops. Need to proofread :D

Sama64

Post by Sama64 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:33 pm

one of my players wants to play a beorning slayer, but (with reason I think) finds the 2 archetypes available not suitable for beornings (beacause they usually don't mount and don't use heavy armour).
so he asks me to play a totem warrior (archetype from D&D 5) instead.

do you think it can be feasible, without creating any balance issue (especially with other slayers, foe-hammer for instance) ?
and how can i modify some abilities (those at 3rd level, which give 2 spells as rituals) to fit with middle-earth tone ?

thanks in advance :)

Michebugio

Post by Michebugio » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:29 pm

Sama64 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:33 pm
one of my players wants to play a beorning slayer, but (with reason I think) finds the 2 archetypes available not suitable for beornings (beacause they usually don't mount and don't use heavy armour).
so he asks me to play a totem warrior (archetype from D&D 5) instead.

do you think it can be feasible, without creating any balance issue (especially with other slayers, foe-hammer for instance) ?
and how can i modify some abilities (those at 3rd level, which give 2 spells as rituals) to fit with middle-earth tone ?

thanks in advance :)
I had the same issue and both the Berserker savage path and the Totem Warrior (probably limited to Bear) are appropriate for Beornings. You don't need to modify the abilities, as they fit well in the setting, but instead of treating them as "ritual spells" you may want to streamline them by simply saying that at 3rd level a Bear Warrior learns the ability to speak with bears and, by touching a willing bear (this may be a challenge in itself, even though aided by being able to speak the bear language...), to use his action to see through the beast’s eyes and hear what it hears for 1 hour.

I also made available the Totem Warrior path to Woodmen (they have more or less the same problems of Beornings, since they don't mount in Mirkwood and they rarely use heavy armours), restricted to the Wolf Totem (or to the Eagle Totem, for the Woodmen from Mountain Hall).

Mykesfree

Post by Mykesfree » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:43 pm

One thing we need to keep in mind with these types of discussions is are we comparing the Class to an Adventures in Middle-earth fight or a D&D fight.

In playing through almost all of Wilderland Adventures, I have noticed the fights are different than D&D since there is no area of effect magic.

Has anyone else had this experience of D&D fights feeling different than AiMe fights?

BookBarbarian

Post by BookBarbarian » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:11 pm

Michebugio wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:29 pm
I had the same issue and both the Berserker savage path and the Totem Warrior (probably limited to Bear) are appropriate for Beornings. You don't need to modify the abilities, as they fit well in the setting, but instead of treating them as "ritual spells" you may want to streamline them by simply saying that at 3rd level a Bear Warrior learns the ability to speak with bears and, by touching a willing bear (this may be a challenge in itself, even though aided by being able to speak the bear language...), to use his action to see through the beast’s eyes and hear what it hears for 1 hour.

I also made available the Totem Warrior path to Woodmen (they have more or less the same problems of Beornings, since they don't mount in Mirkwood and they rarely use heavy armours), restricted to the Wolf Totem (or to the Eagle Totem, for the Woodmen from Mountain Hall).
This is good advice. Take the Spell text, cut it down, and turn it into class abilities. Alternatively, just cut the Ritual Spells altogether, You'll lose some utility, but that would actually just make having a Scholar in the party even more desirable.

Bear Totem will still give plenty of goodies to your player anyway.