On Slayers and Warriors

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
Otaku-sempai

Re: On Slayers and Warriors

Post by Otaku-sempai » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:26 pm

padraigmac wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:40 pm
No mountain lions in Middle-Earth to reskin Tiger into? I'd think the place would be lousy with them! (Certainly BC, where I live, is)
No mountain lions in Europe of the North American variety. However, there were lions in Europe that might arguably have also been found in Middle-earth. Unlike African lions (also found in Harad?), I don't think the big cats of Eriador or Gondor would have lived in prides.

European/Eurasian Cave Lion:
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

padraigmac

Post by padraigmac » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:12 pm

Also no giant spiders or orcs in Europe! I'm just thinking of an animal that would fit with the terrain. Cave lion works too!

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:09 pm

padraigmac wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:12 pm
Also no giant spiders or orcs in Europe! I'm just thinking of an animal that would fit with the terrain. Cave lion works too!
No, but I find that fantasy beasts feel less out of place then real-world animals used in the wrong location. I think I mentioned in a previous post that I have some of those cave lions in the northern Ered Luin. I postulated that they might have also inhabited the White Mountains only to be hunted to extinction by the Men of Gondor. They persist in the Blue Mountains because the Elves tolerate them.
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."