Tale of Years (Spoilers)

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
Majestic

Tale of Years (Spoilers)

Post by Majestic » Fri May 11, 2018 5:14 pm

This is not really a new campaign. Rather, it's a new group that's running concurrently with our old one. The campaign began around 2012, I believe (using The One Ring RPG), though I think it was 2014 when we really started playing regularly. Last year (2017) we moved over to Adventures in Middle-earth, and now both groups are run using that system.

So far the new group consists of:

Brand: Barding Warden from Dale
Malendir: Man of Minas Tirith, Warrior
The Hound: Woodman of Wilderland Wanderer
Thorondir: Man of Minas Tirith, Warrior

There is also another PC, a Dwarf, who has been made but hasn't adventured with us yet.

I've decided to run the first few adventure seeds from The Mirkwood Campaign, as we never played through those with my first group (they were embroiled at that point - in the timeline of the campaign - in Tales from Wilderland, aka Wilderland Adventures).
Adventure Summaries for my long-running group (currently playing through The Darkening of Mirkwood/Mirkwood Campaign), and the Tale of Years for a second, lower-level group (in the same campaign).

Majestic

Re: Tale of Years (Spoilers)

Post by Majestic » Fri May 11, 2018 5:25 pm

“Eaves of Mirkwood”
Spring 2947

In the Market Green of Woodmen-town, envoy Brand calls for adventurers to come to Dale to assist in the rebuilding of King Bard’s kingdom. Local wanderer the Hound and brothers Malendir and Thorondir from Gondor respond to the summons and agree to accompany him. They make their way along the edge of Mirkwood, and as they prepare to make camp one night they find Warg paw prints near the ruins of a statue. The air is split with a series of rasping horn blasts, and the group responds to a nearby clearing, where multiple Goblins have ambushed a trio of Dwarves. They make quick work of the attackers, and the grateful Dwarves invite them back to their campsite. Explaining that they are wandering craftsmen headed for Erebor, Snorri, Borri, and Hár share roasted pig and ale with their rescuers and trade riddles. Snorri reveals that he hopes to find his sons, Núr and Nain, and it turns out that Brand knows both of them! After Thorondir bests him in a game of smoke rings, Snorri gifts his new friend an ornately carved pipe. In the early morning hours, after they have all fallen asleep, the group is captured by a large group of Men, who accuse them of stealing their pig. The companions and their Dwarven allies find themselves in an empty building within a meager settlement called Rowanhold. Borri sheepishly explains that he took the pig from a trap he found, and the group is made to wait for hours. Eventually they are brought before the farmstead’s matriarch, Gailavira, in a great hall. She explains how their livestock has been carried off by Goblins raids and a more recent monster. The huge Warg-king they call Greymuzzle Hob killed two of her sons and now has an arrangement with the village: he leaves them alone as long as they put out a pig each month. She fears that their fragile peace is now likely over. The captives promise to stand up to the beast and aid in whatever way they can. Gailavira believes them, and just as they are given back their weapons they hear a commotion outside. The Warg and a few Goblins burst into the hall, but the warriors swiftly slay the invaders. The people graciously welcome their new heroes, and that night they sleep in Gailavira’s hall as honored guests. The Dwarves decide to stay behind to help with repairs. When the four Men depart, the people bestow upon them meager gifts. On the road, they meet a fellow traveler named Gandalf the Grey.
Adventure Summaries for my long-running group (currently playing through The Darkening of Mirkwood/Mirkwood Campaign), and the Tale of Years for a second, lower-level group (in the same campaign).