Another Eaves Query

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
steerpike65

Re: Another Eaves Query

Post by steerpike65 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:28 pm

Following running my game, I did some additional investigation and found helpful information in the Rhovanion Region Guide (History of the Vales of Anduin and History of Mirkwood sections) on the possible history of the ruins in Eaves. I plumped for the settlement having been decimated in the plague of 1635 and it having been a place that the Northmen of old lived at the time.

Beran did not choose to use his spirit roaming ability so no need to account for that. I think I would have allowed him to see a meeting between the villain and his minions but not understand the conversation as it would be in Orcish.

I used the snared pig dream for Beli, which helped the railroading the next morning, though I wish I'd given a little hint as to the villain's main weakness, as this did not feature in the final combat and it would have been thematic.

I've no idea where I got the idea that Shadow-lore could not be used if one had no Proficiency. I can find no reference to this anywhere, so I've been dreaming again. The PCs all had a go at identifying the track using Shadow-lore but only Lifstan succeeded as he was the only PC by that time that still had advantage from the earlier good Embarkation roll.
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” – Mark Twain

Majestic

Post by Majestic » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:15 pm

Sounds like you handled things great, and were very well prepared.

And yes, any character can make any skill roll, whether they have proficiency or not.

The only thing I really felt like I 'blew it' on during our game was I completely forgot to have the torches and hearth go out and leave the hall in spooky darkness. I initially had the Warg attack the PC who baited him, and he drilled him for enough to knock him out and begin death saves. But then (a moment later) I remembered that the attack happened within 10' of the hearth (I use counters on a map, so the bright light of the fire there reminded me), so I rolled another d20 for Greymuzzle being at disadvantage and got something like an 18. I improvised on the spot and had that everybody thought that they saw their companion go down in a spray of blood, but it turned out to be only a superficial hit (i.e., I retconned the incapacitating hit).

It was only after the game that I remembered that the torches and hearth were supposed to go out, which would have meant that the initial hit on that PC would have indeed been legit (as I'd originally done it). But the final result was a great adventure where everybody had fun, so I didn't really sweat it.
Adventure Summaries for my long-running group (currently playing through The Darkening of Mirkwood/Mirkwood Campaign), and the Tale of Years for a second, lower-level group (in the same campaign).

steerpike65

Post by steerpike65 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:20 pm

Majestic wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:15 pm
But the final result was a great adventure where everybody had fun, so I didn't really sweat it.
This is the only important thing at the end of tbe day, right?!!
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” – Mark Twain

Majestic

Post by Majestic » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:36 pm

steerpike65 wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:20 pm
Majestic wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:15 pm
But the final result was a great adventure where everybody had fun, so I didn't really sweat it.
This is the only important thing at the end of tbe day, right?!!
Absolutely!
Adventure Summaries for my long-running group (currently playing through The Darkening of Mirkwood/Mirkwood Campaign), and the Tale of Years for a second, lower-level group (in the same campaign).