Adventures in Middle-Earth with D&D retroclones?

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
aandred

Adventures in Middle-Earth with D&D retroclones?

Post by aandred » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:10 am

If anyone here had an experience with retroclones in the vein of Labyrinth Lord, Dark Dungeons or Basic Fantasy, would AiME be playable with these rules (without spending months on conversions)? I'd love to run a campaign in Middle-Earth and Cubicle 7's vision of Tolkien's world seems to hit all the right notes (unlike certain movie director's), but my gaming group prizes old school simplicity and isn't interested in moving on to 5th ed. (come to think of it, neither am I :D ).

Mykesfree

Re: Adventures in Middle-Earth with D&D retroclones?

Post by Mykesfree » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:45 pm

AiMe is not a complete game system by itself and requires the D&D SRD for 5th Ed to be fully playable. The parts that are completely necessary to play are character creation and task resolution (including Combat).

However, the modules that Cubicle 7 have created for AiMe could be converted to another D&D edition with a little bit of work.

aandred

Post by aandred » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:05 pm

Thanks!
Mykesfree wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:45 pm
AiMe is not a complete game system by itself and requires the D&D SRD for 5th Ed to be fully playable.
That much I was able to figure out by myself, so I guess I should rephrase my question then (as much as my limited knowledge of English allows).

Of what I have been able to deduct from reviews and such, AiME "translates" some TOR concepts and mechanics like fellowship phase, travel, corruption or magic into D&D framework. Could these work with earlier editions of D&D? How much of what's in the book will still be of use if I get rid of skills, feats, archetypes, distniguishing between short and long rests and similar "unnecessary complications" :P ?

I know my question might seem weirdly specific and dishearteningly vague at the same time, but living at the end of the world has a drawback of not having a gaming store to go to, crack open the book and see for myself. :)

robertsconley

Post by robertsconley » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:55 pm

Yes AiME mechanics with some work would translate over to a classic D&D retro-clone. However it is not without work.

I been mucking around with a "low fantasy" variant of classic D&D inspired by AiME. However with my publishing commitments it just an outline. I done enough to know what has to be done and why.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First off You will need a set of new classes for most things. The only class that you will be able to use 'as-is' is the fighter or fighting-man.

The good news is that the main difference is that with 5e you had to come up with 20 levels worth stuff. With classic D&D it sufficient to have classes with a half-dozen or so abilities.

The monsters will need to be toned down as classic D&D don't have quite as many special abilities.

Another bit of good news you don't have to bother with spells.

Inspiration, advantage/disadvantage work well with classic D&D in lieu of modifiers. I been using the mechanic for my Swords & Wizardry since 5e came out.

Definitely want to base it off a clone derived from OD&D like Swords & Wizardry. Of all the editions of classic D&D, OD&D power curve comes the closest to D&D 5.0. What D&D 5.0 does is inflates OD&D numbers and spreads them over 20 levels (instead of 12 to 16) which allows D&D 5.0 to offer more options for character creation and advancement than OD&D.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My own take would be based off my Majestic Wilderlands rules. A supplement for Swords & Wizardry I published back in 2008. For example a classic D&D Slayer would be based on my Berserker. Which like the Slayer is based on the D&D barbarian class. Although my take drew on 3.X Barbarian while the Slayer is based on 5.0 Barbarian.

Note the reason I called the class a Berserker that unlike the Barbarian it represent a Holy Warrior of the God Thor who hunts monsters and protects villages from them. So it been tweaked to reflect that.

If you are interested PM me and I will comp you a PDF copy of my Majestic Wilderlands. If you want to take a look at a cut down version I have a basic rules PDF here.

http://www.batintheattic.com/downloads/ ... v%2008.pdf

This weekend I will look over my notes and reply with more specific comments on the various conversions.

aandred

Post by aandred » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:17 am

robertsconley wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:55 pm
Yes AiME mechanics with some work would translate over to a classic D&D retro-clone. However it is not without work.
Great, thanks, that's exactly the kind of informed opinion I was hoping for!
My own take would be based off my Majestic Wilderlands rules.
Oh, wait... [connecting the dots] ...you're the author of Bat in the Attic blog, aren't you?! I stumbled upon it some years ago, when I got my hands on Mongoose Traveller and I was looking for tips on running it. Of course I kept reading beyond that subject and I suppose it might have been one of the first times I came across the term "Old School Renaissance". Or when I started realizing there's more to this "Renaissance" than a few sentimental people re-editing and re-releasing old rules. Whichever that was, there's no doubt Traveller was my gate to OSR and your blog had no small part in this discovery.

And on top of that, you totally sold me on the concept of sandbox gaming, which at that time was very new and counter-intuitive to me. Thanks again! :D
If you are interested PM me and I will comp you a PDF copy of my Majestic Wilderlands.
I'm certainly interested, but I'll be happy to get it from DrtiveThruRPG (or some other store if you have preferences in that matter), I feel I already made great use of your work free of charge. :)