Novels/Movies in Phases

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
clithgow

Novels/Movies in Phases

Post by clithgow » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:04 pm

Anyone every tried to break down the Novels and/or movies into AiME phases? Was The Shire to Rivendell one long Journey phase - or did it break into two with Bree in the middle? Bree couldn't have been a Fellowship phase, could it?

Etc. Discuss!

Otaku-sempai

Re: Novels/Movies in Phases

Post by Otaku-sempai » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:30 pm

I've taken part in such discussions involving the TOR journey rules; they are similar enough to apply here.

The Hobbit breaks down fairly easily:

Stage 1: Bag End to Rivendell. The Dwarves might have intended to cross the Misty Mountains and resupply from the Woodmen. Gandalf doubtless planned on stopping in Rivendell all along. Long rests could be achieved as long as the company was still in the Shire and Bree-land and had access to comfortable inns, and as long as you are using the standard 4-hour and 8-hour rules for rests. Actually, given how long it took the company to cross Eriador, you could probably even use the optional "gritty realism" rules to allow a long rest in Bree. I can easily imagine Thorin's company in the book malingering at the Prancing Pony for a week!

Stage 2: Rivendell to Lake-town. This stage is briefly interrupted by the company's capture by the goblins and the necessity of having to resupply from and briefly rest with Beorn. Then we have a second, much longer interruption when the company (minus Gandalf) is captured by the Wood-elves and imprisoned in Thranduil's cells. I suppose that the Dwarves should be allowed a long rest during this time.

Stage 3: Esgaroth to Erebor. A short journey, first by water then by land.

Bilbo's return journey took at least three stages:

Stage 1: Erebor to Beorn's House.

Stage 2: Beorn's House to Rivendell.

Stage 3: Rivendell to Bag End.

We could break down the journeys in The Lord of the Rings, but that is complicated by the Breaking of the Fellowship. I'll leave that to someone else! :lol:
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

ThrorII

Post by ThrorII » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:44 pm

The Lord of the Rings, Adventure phases:
Stage 1: Hobbits from Bag End to Tom Bombadil's house
Stage 2: Hobbits from TB's house to Bree
Stage 3: Hobbits & Aragorn from Bree to Rivendell
Stage 4: The Fellowship from Rivendell to Lorien
Stage 5: The Fellowship from Lorien to the Breaking of the Fellowship

Aragorn, Gimli, Legoalas (later Gandalf, Merry & Pippin)
Stage 6a: Tol Bandir to Edoras
Stage 7a: Edoras to Helms Deep/Isengard, the back to Edoras
Stage 8a: Edoras to Minas Tirith
Stage 9a: Minas Tirith to the Black Gate

Frodo & Sam
6b: Tol Bandir to Henneth Annun
7b: Henneth Annun to Mt. Doom

clithgow

Post by clithgow » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:07 pm

Okay I can buy into all of those journey length break downs. Would you describe any of it as Fellowship Phases? I think the LoTR time spend in Rivendell might be - but what about Lorien? Edoras? Minas Tirith before the battle?

ThrorII

Post by ThrorII » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:08 am

clithgow wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:07 pm
Okay I can buy into all of those journey length break downs. Would you describe any of it as Fellowship Phases? I think the LoTR time spend in Rivendell might be - but what about Lorien? Edoras? Minas Tirith before the battle?
I'd say every break between steps were a Fellowship phase: TB's house, Bree, Rivendell, and Lorien.
For Frodo & Sam, Henneth Annun was a Fellowship phase.
For Aragorn, Gimli et. al., Edoras and Minas Tirith (after the Battle of Pellanor) were Fellowship phases.

The Hobbits were in Rivendell for 2 months and Lorien for about a month. Although TB's, Bree, Edoras, Henneth Annun, and Minas Tirith were only a few days each (at most), I think thematically, they were Fellowship phases.

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:55 am

Stops at Bree and Beorn's house might be too brief to be effective as Fellowship phases (save when Bilbo and Gandalf stay with Beorn over the winter). Rivendell: Yes. Lórien: Yes. Lake-town: Yes. The Company of Thorin in Thranduil's cells: No. The company while Erebor was besieged: There was enough time, but not enough leisure? BIlbo and Sam in Henneth Annûn: I would have to say no. Edoras? No. Yes to Minas Tirith after the fall of Sauron.
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

WellImBackHeSaid

Post by WellImBackHeSaid » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:53 pm

ThrorII wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:44 pm
The Lord of the Rings, Adventure phases:
Stage 1: Hobbits from Bag End to Tom Bombadil's house
Stage 2: Hobbits from TB's house to Bree
Stage 3: Hobbits & Aragorn from Bree to Rivendell
Stage 4: The Fellowship from Rivendell to Lorien
Stage 5: The Fellowship from Lorien to the Breaking of the Fellowship
i'd probably add an additional step of bag end to crick hallow, then kick off your list.