AiME Warrior - Action Surge with Inspiration

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
Myriad2020

AiME Warrior - Action Surge with Inspiration

Post by Myriad2020 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:25 pm

Hi All

I'm new to AiME and loving it. I have recently rolled a Dwarf Warrior who has just got to level 2.

I don't have the players book with me but I think it's great that you can use a reaction to give another player an action surge! The other player has to use the action immediately.

Does this mean then that giving my action surcharge to a team mate would allow them to dodge an arrow (via Dodge action)? Meet an incoming attack with their own attack?

Also we have a wanderer who has a arrow volley attack. Could I use a disengage action on my turn and then immediately use my inspiration to give the wanderer an immediate action to use her volley?

Is this how it works and are there any more creative ways that it could be used?

Robin Smallburrow

Re: AiME Warrior - Action Surge with Inspiration

Post by Robin Smallburrow » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:16 am

In answer to your queries, Yes to the Dodge because it could be used as a reaction, but as I read it No to the other ideas. Why? Because it says explicitly that "you may give your Action Surge to a nearby ally as a reaction" - my understanding then is that it is a Reaction, thus a normal attack would not normally be possible. I might consider it for a character who was Swift, however! And other special abilities would only work if they could be used as a Reaction as well.

My advice would be to look at clarifications on how Reactions are treated on D&D 5e websites
To access all my links for my TOR Resources - please click on this link >> http://bit.ly/1gjXkCo

Myriad2020

Post by Myriad2020 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:51 pm

Thanks for reply really appreciated

The PHB on Action Surge says: "...on your turn, you can take one additional action on top of your regular action and a possible bonus action. Alternatively if you spend inspiration, you may give your Action Surge as a reaction. The ally must use the Action Surge immediately" (page 92-93)

So im still not sure - I agree with the above it could be read that you give a reaction to another team mate but I think what it actually means is my Dwarf Warrior gives the Action Surge as his reaction. That's the end of my reaction, the team mate then has a whole Action Surge to use up, which as per the above, means he/she has a whole action to use.

I appreciate this makes the ability quite powerful but it is using up inspiration so perhaps its balanced acceptably?

Keridwyn44

Post by Keridwyn44 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:09 pm

My interpretation of this ability has been that, *when it is an ally's turn*, the warrior could use his reaction with Inspiration to give that ally the Action Surge immediately.

Majestic

Post by Majestic » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:49 pm

Yeah, from what I'm seeing written here (don't have the books handy), it seems as if the Warrior could use their reaction (each character gets only one reaction per turn, so they can't use their reaction for something else) to allow somebody else to then have an Action Surge (with all of the benefits that the Warrior would normally get from Action Surge).
Adventure Summaries of our campaign, currently playing through The Darkening of Mirkwood

BenTheFerg

Post by BenTheFerg » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:30 pm

Hi

As far as I understand it, the player you give your Action Surge to immediately acts. As an extra action.

"Alternatively if you spend inspiration, you may give your Action Surge as a reaction. The ally must use the Action Surge immediately" (page 92-93)"

Given you are using a precious resource - Inspiration - it isn't over-powered. IMHO.

😎