Blue Mountain Dwarves

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
Ironbite

Blue Mountain Dwarves

Post by Ironbite » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:30 pm

One of my players is thinking of playing a Blue Mountain dwarf for our Eriador campaign, after reading my TOR Adventurer's Companion I was thinking the following origin abilities:

Blue Mountain Dwarves
Additional Ability Score Increase. Your Intelligence score increases by 1.
Student of the Past. You have proficiency in two of the following skills, History, Investigation, Lore, or Tradition.

Any thoughts would be welcome!

Otaku-sempai

Re: Blue Mountain Dwarves

Post by Otaku-sempai » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:49 pm

Extra Equipment:

"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

Ironbite

Post by Ironbite » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:10 am

Lol, will probably need a pony too!

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:10 am

Since we know nothing yet about the Halls of the Dwarves or the Mines of the Dwarves in the Blue Mountains, if you need a place to start from, I have the Dwarf-city of Hargrod south of the Grey Havens:
Hargrod
The Dwarf-city of Hargrod (South Delving) was founded in the year 40 of the Second Age by survivors of ruined Nogrod and Belegost, together with other Dwarves of the Blue Mountains, who refused to abandon the Ered Luin to resettle with Durin’s Folk in Khazad-dûm. This makes it one of the oldest and largest remaining Dwarf settlements in the Southern Ered Luin. Located where the ridge of the Emyn Romen extends eastwards from the southern range, the road from Hargrod to Mithlond stretches for one hundred sixty miles, following the base of the mountains past the complex of the Mines of the Dwarves about fifty miles to the north. The mines of Hargrod are rich in iron ore and other metals: copper, tin and even modest veins of gold, as well as silver extracted from lead deposits. The Dwarves of Hargrod trade their metalcrafts with Elves of the Grey Havens, the Hobbits of the Shire and the few Men of Eriador who still dwell in the region, principally the folk of Bree-land.

The rulers of Hargrod have traditionally been descended from the Dwarves of Belegost. This has changed a bit with the current Lord Draupnir whose father Dolgthrasir is a descendant of Nogrod.
I have a detailed write-up of Hargrod on Google Docs that I've submitted to the Hall of Fire webzine.
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

quincypostman

Post by quincypostman » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:38 am

I would think that dwarves of the blue mountain are basically dwarves of the lonely mt (I don't have my books handy and can't remember what they're called), as those are the dwarves who came from the blue mts.

Ironbite

Post by Ironbite » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:51 am

Otaku-sempai wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:10 am
Since we know nothing yet about the Halls of the Dwarves or the Mines of the Dwarves in the Blue Mountains, if you need a place to start from, I have the Dwarf-city of Hargrod south of the Grey Havens:
Hargrod
Thanks for background, will also try to find the write up!

The description in the TOR Adventurer's Companion describes them as generally secluded, preoccupied with their ancestors, past works and the rediscovery of what was lost to them, hence leaning towards knowledge skills and Intelligence ability increase.

I really like that their quite distinct from the other Dwarven cultures and also their predilection towards music!

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:49 pm

quincypostman wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:38 am
I would think that dwarves of the blue mountain are basically dwarves of the lonely mt (I don't have my books handy and can't remember what they're called), as those are the dwarves who came from the blue mts.
Remember, there have always been Dwarves in the Blue Mountains (LotR, Appendix A). Most (if not all) of the Dwarves of Belegost and Nogrod relocated to Moria in the year 40 (S.A.), but others, mainly in the south where there were still working mines, never left Ered Luin. Granted, I don't think that Dwarves of the Blue Mountains in the Adventurer's Companion for TOR fully takes this into account. I do think that we can assume that the Halls of the Dwarves located near the head of the Lesser Lhûn (Little Lune) are controlled by Dwarves who are "loyal subjects of the King of Durin's Folk". The idea with Hargrod is to have a Dwarven city in the Blue Mountains that is not beholden to the King under the Mountain because it was founded by Dwarves who never left to resettle in Khazad-dûm.

I suspect that the design team intends the Halls of the Dwarves to represent the location where Thrain II and his followers settled and where the Halls of Thorin Oakenshield were located. I have always imagined that to be located nearer to the Grey Havens, but I could see why Thrain might have been attracted to a site at or near the source of a river just as the Front Gate of Erebor was also the head of the Running River.
Last edited by Otaku-sempai on Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:54 pm

Ironbite wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:51 am
Thanks for background, will also try to find the write up!

The description in the TOR Adventurer's Companion describes them as generally secluded, preoccupied with their ancestors, past works and the rediscovery of what was lost to them, hence leaning towards knowledge skills and Intelligence ability increase.

I really like that their quite distinct from the other Dwarven cultures and also their predilection towards music!
My TOR Guide to the Blue Mountains can be found in the TOR House Rules forum: here.

Hargrod has not, to date, been published for public consumption. I hope that changes in the near future.