Hobbit dead/Elf Dead

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
BookBarbarian

Re: Hobbit dead/Elf Dead

Post by BookBarbarian » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:10 pm

PalmettoMike wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:32 am
Again, thanks to all for detailed replies.
One follow-up if I may?
Did the orcs cannibalize their dead, or just simply leave them to rot? Would a great chieftain or warrior if their I'll be honored with a tomb?
I know Orc kind ate Men and I assume they wouldn't turn down their own if they couldn't get better.

i could see Bolg honoring his father Azog, but I think on the whole they are too selfish to have much respect for those gone before.

MrUkpyr

Post by MrUkpyr » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:26 pm

PalmettoMike wrote:
One follow-up if I may?
Did the orcs cannibalize their dead, or just simply leave them to rot? Would a great chieftain or warrior if their I'll be honored with a tomb?
"Looks like meat's back on the menu boys!"
MrUkpyr
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:28 pm

MrUkpyr wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:26 pm
PalmettoMike wrote:
One follow-up if I may?
"Looks like meat's back on the menu boys!"
Let's not confuse the movies with the books. But I tend to agree with BookBarbarian. ;)
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

WellImBackHeSaid

Post by WellImBackHeSaid » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:49 pm

Not sure about the cannibalistic nature of orcs. I would not put it past them, but I don't know of any book quotes to back up the idea.

The closest that comes to mind;
"Grievous is the fall of your men; but you shall see that at least the wolves of the
mountains do not devour them. It is with their friends, the Orcs, that they hold their feast: such indeed is the friendship of their kind. Come!’" - Gandalf, TtT

Sounds like the fallen orc's of Helm's Deep were being eaten by the wargs. But that's not quite the same as orcs eating orc meat.