What does the "common folk" know?

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
Otaku-sempai

Re: What does the "common folk" know?

Post by Otaku-sempai » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:02 am

Religion
Tolkien stated there there wasn't much in the way of organized religion in Middlle-earth. The Elves and the Faithful among the Men of the West revered the Valar and Eru, but there generally weren't churches, temples or an organized priesthood. The main exception was the temple to Eru in Númenor, as mentioned by ThrorII.

Other Men might have revered the Valar by other names or worshiped different gods of their own devising. There might have also been ancestor-worship, worship of animal and nature spirits, etc.

The Dwarves specifically revered the Vala Aulë who they named Mahal, but I know of no particular religious practices associated with that reverence.

Sauron did encourage the worship of Morgoth among the peoples under his dominion.

Middle-earth
Think of Middle-earth as somewhat like the world before the Biblical Flood. The geography is different, Men are closer to the natural and supernatural worlds, and mythical creatures and beings walk the earth. But one day the world will change: Maps will be different, magic will fade, no one will be able to understand the languages of birds or beasts, and Wizards, Dwarves and Elves are gone.

Population
TOR's Lake-town Sourcebook gives us a figure of over 1000 people in the rebuilt Esgaroth in the year 2949. In The Atlas of Middle-earth, Karen Wynn Fonstad estimated a population of at least 400 for Lake-town before it was ruined by Smaug, but it could have numbered 600 or more.

Bree probably had several hundred residents, all of Bree-land might have been double or triple of that--maybe 1000 to 2000 Men and Hobbits combined.

I'm going to conservatively guess that the population of Minas Tirith totaled at least 20,000. The city's troop-strength at the Battle of the Pelennor Fields was about 2000. King Théoden was able to bring 6000 cavalry from Rohan.
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

PalmettoMike

Post by PalmettoMike » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:11 pm

Thank you all for welcoming a newcomer.
Your answers will be of great help, moving ahead in my AIME campaign.
One last population question, as a general estimate what do you think is the number of the Rangers. Is there a number given in LOTR when Arragon shows up with the corsair ships?
What would you guess is population of the Shire? less than 10,000?
I'm guessing the Fell-FOlk (orcs and such) would at roughly x10 the rest of the population?

Terisonen

Post by Terisonen » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:20 pm

For the numbers of Ranger, I would say about a hundred all in all.
Nothing of Worth.

ThrorII

Post by ThrorII » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:17 pm

PalmettoMike wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:11 pm

Thank you all for welcoming a newcomer.
Your answers will be of great help, moving ahead in my AIME campaign.
One last population question, as a general estimate what do you think is the number of the Rangers. Is there a number given in LOTR when Arragon shows up with the corsair ships?
What would you guess is population of the Shire? less than 10,000?
I'm guessing the Fell-FOlk (orcs and such) would at roughly x10 the rest of the population?
The Grey Company was about 30 Rangers. And that was all they could gather in a short time. Perhaps a couple hundred total?

I would think the Shire population would be at least 10,000, possibly tens of thousands. It is a rich, well settled land that has known peace for over a thousand years. There are dozens of towns, villages, and hamlets, as well as uncounted single farmsteads.

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:21 pm

ThrorII wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:17 pm
The Grey Company was about 30 Rangers. And that was all they could gather in a short time. Perhaps a couple hundred total?
Maybe more than that, but not many more. However, that's not including the total population of their secret enclaves including women, children and old folks. There might have been several thousand Dúnedain remaining in the North in total.
I would think the Shire population would be at least 10,000, possibly tens of thousands. It is a rich, well settled land that has known peace for over a thousand years. There are dozens of towns, villages, and hamlets, as well as uncounted single farmsteads.
I'll go along with that. I might cap that at no more than 50,000 Hobbits, but that seems high even to me.
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

ThrorII

Post by ThrorII » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:14 pm

Otaku-sempai wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:21 pm
ThrorII wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:17 pm
Maybe more than that, but not many more. However, that's not including the total population of their secret enclaves including women, children and old folks. There might have been several thousand Dúnedain remaining in the North in total.
Yeah, I'm talking about true 'Rangers'. Maybe a couple hundred. When you factor in the elderly, the women, the children, and those who didn't 'ranger' - the scholars, healers, farmers, etc., then yeah, I'd say a couple thousand to several thousand.

Hero_of_Canton

Post by Hero_of_Canton » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:14 pm

MrUkpyr wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:49 pm
Cue "I wonder what the King is doing tonight" from the musical Camelot!
Nice touch!

HoC