Creating a One Shot Suitible for a Six Year Old

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
KirstSxM

Creating a One Shot Suitible for a Six Year Old

Post by KirstSxM » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:47 am

Hello.

I'm pretty new to these forums (This is my first post yay). My partner is setting up a Campaign for us adults to play, but I'm looking into creating a one shot adventure to play with the family, including our six year old son.

Being the nerds my partner and I are, we have introduced LotR/The Hobbit into our home at an early age for our son; he's seen us play LOTRO, and seen all six (sigh) movies and has a keen interest in the lore of Middle Earth while also wanting to read the books as he gets older.

He has played Hero Kids with us (which is a must if you have got kids and haven't played it yet, it's a great intro to tabletop RPGs), and I hoped that I could create a little adventure set in the Shire.

Are there any Hex maps availible of The Shire at the moment? Or is there something suitible you could reccomend? At the moment I was thinking of printing the LOTRO shire map but it isn't exactly drawn to scale.

I can't go too much into the details of my adventure because my partner uses these forums all the time (I'm looking at you Kenomica), for tips and guides for his own campaign, but is there any documentation you would recomend for info on the shire that would assist me?

Do you also have any tips on simplifying the rules at all to suit a younger player?

Thanks in advance. :)

Otaku-sempai

Re: Creating a One Shot Suitible for a Six Year Old

Post by Otaku-sempai » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:00 pm

Sorry, but even The One Ring Roleplaying Game hasn't yet produced a detailed guide to the Shire, much less a good hex map for it. Bree is the closest they've come. Using the Bree-land LM map for scale, you could find or print a map of the Shire from another source (easy to Google) and place a hex overlay on top of it. For reference: the Shire measures approximately 110 miles from the Brandywine Bridge to the Tower Hills, and about the same from the Hills of Evendim to the Sarn Ford.

If you have the PDFs for either Journeys & Maps (TOR) or The Road Goes Ever On for (AiMe) then you already have the maps of Eriador that you can blow up on your tablet or computer.

The Eaves of Mirkwood is an introductory adventure (that comes bundled with the LM Screen) that doesn't need the core rulebooks for AiMe to use, but I don't know that it would be suitable for your 6 year-old. But maybe you could adapt the way in which it introduces the game mechanics.
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

KirstSxM

Post by KirstSxM » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:59 pm

Thank you so much for the reply.

I was almost certain there were no Cubicle 7 official items for TOR or AIME that related to maps of The Shire other than the Eriador map, thank you for confirming this for me. My plan was to use that Eriador map you spoke of, and if I had to, create a hex map of my own. Thank you for the great advice about scale. That helps me a lot.

I have both The Road Goes Ever On and Eaves of Mirkwood and that seems like a great idea, however my partner is planning on using the introductory adventure for our own campaign. I think my plan is to be a little more light hearted and The Shire is where I plan to begin my adventure, but who knows, my group of trusty hobbits might take on the call for adventure and find themselves in the world of the big folk and hobbits over in Bree. I can always look into material from TOR if needed.

Thanks again for the reply, I am truly appreceative. :)

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:27 pm

If you are interested, I did produce a home-brewed TOR Guide to the Shire that can be found in the House Rules forum for TOR. I don't have any suggested adventures in it, but you might still be able to dig out some adventure seeds that you can use. Maybe you can have an adventure set around a fair or other celebration in one of the four Farthings, or even the Free Fair held once every seven years. Surely the Lake-town material in the Loremaster's Guide provides some guidance for holding games and other competitions within your game?
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

KirstSxM

Post by KirstSxM » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:27 pm

Thank you so much. That seems like it will be incredibly helpful for me. I will take a look at that.